MG 4 Safety Issue - Uncontrolled Acceleration

TrophyMG4

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Having test driven the majority of the competition and ultimately plumped for the MG4, we have been accepting of its issues, incl 'Lane Assist' etc, as it is a really good car to drive, especially as the the more 'premium' brands seem to suffer from similar faults.

Until last week, we had covered approx 5k miles in 3 months, with very little complaint (only 1st world ones anyway- ocassional phone connection problems, no sound direction when navigating using Android Auto when listening to radio , lack of lumbar support)

During a wet Tuesday last week, I pulled away from a set of traffic lights and on reaching 40mph and taking my foot off the accelerator, I was concerned that we were still accelerating (NB Lane K assist off. Normal mode and no other options on). I braked and then lifted by foot off the brake and felt immediate acceleration again. Holding it on the brake for approx 200 yards, we turned into a side street and reversed round (same issue in reverse) and found a place to park, powered off the car, got out and locked it. Tried again - same issue.

AA called - who tested it (same issue), disconnected the 12v battery and cleared the system, which allowed us to drive it to our local dealer (accompanied by the AA- Thank you).

In the circumstances, you would have thought that this (potential) safety issue would be serious enough to garner MG's interest (I believe there have been similar instances with Teslas). However, despite the dealer providing the fault log (the day after) and chasing for a response, nothing appears to be happening.

Is it naive of us to expect a better response from MG (central), as customer 'service', seems in line with the experiences of other members?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this happened to you. No, I don't think it is naive to expect more. It is possible that it is held up in the queue to be analysed by the China team, so that a reply may come later. MG UK probably doesn't know any more than your dealer.

Having test driven the majority of the competition and ultimately plumped for the MG4, we have been accepting of its issues, incl 'Lane Assist' etc, as it is a really good car to drive, especially as the the more 'premium' brands seem to suffer from similar faults.

Until last week, we had covered approx 5k miles in 3 months, with very little complaint (only 1st world ones anyway- ocassional phone connection problems, no sound direction when navigating using Android Auto when listening to radio , lack of lumbar support)

During a wet Tuesday last week, I pulled away from a set of traffic lights and on reaching 40mph and taking my foot off the accelerator, I was concerned that we were still accelerating (NB Lane K assist off. Normal mode and no other options on). I braked and then lifted by foot off the brake and felt immediate acceleration again. Holding it on the brake for approx 200 yards, we turned into a side street and reversed round (same issue in reverse) and found a place to park, powered of the car, got out and locked it. Tried again - same issue.

AA called - who tested it (same issue), disconnected the 12v battery and cleared the system, which allowed us to drive it to our local dealer (accompanied by the AA- Thank you).

In the circumstances, you would have thought that this (potential) safety issue would be serious enough to garner MG's interest (I believe there have been similar instances with Teslas). However, despite the dealer providing the fault log (the day after) and chasing for a response, nothing appears to be happening.

Is it niave of us to expect a better response from MG (central), as customer 'service', seems in line with the experiences of other members?
I think that the communication that you receive (or lack of it) is key here. It might not help, but if you get first class communication and you know that the fault is being taken seriously it at least makes you feel as though someone has listened.
MG are really bad at this and their customer service really needs a major rethink.

There is a video online of a model Y in China ‘taking off’ and going faster and faster until the driver loses control and crashes.
Two people killed.

We had an model Y taxi in Norway which crashed into a bar and kiosk. According to the driver the throttle got stuck. Someone filmed with the mobile and brake lights was on the whole time.

But the cause is still under investigation.

Last edited:
Was it a gentle acceleration like it was taking you back up to a cruise control speed?
Or a flat out acceleration?
What would be interesting would be knowing if it would have stopped at a speed you maybe set in cruise control recently, or just kept going to top speed (impractical I know)

It wasnt gentle. I didnt have CC activated and this would have been cancelled by the pedal depression, if I had. Once I powered it down and restarted it, you could hear the motor engage, when selecting drive (with foot on brake). Luckily the brakes held it quite easily for the initial incident but they smelt a bit afterwards!

It wasnt gentle. I didnt have CC activated and this would have been cancelled by the pedal depression, if I had. Once I powered it down and restarted it, you could hear the motor engage, when selecting drive (with foot on brake). Luckily the brakes held it quite easily for the initial incident but they smelt a bit afterwards!

Jesus, lucky there was a level headed driver in charge, I can’t imagine how my wife would have coped.
Does anyone know if it’s possible to put the car into neutral in a situation like this??

I can select neutral at any speed in my SE, often use it to clean the discs. Not sure I'd have the presence of mind to do so if the bastard took off on me though :oops:

Good to know it can be done though.
Do you lightly touch the brake to enable N, or is being off the throttle enough?
I’m going to try selecting N when rolling in my born later.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back