MG 4 traffic stop issue.

Mamba

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi.

When I use my toggle parking break during a traffic stop, the car won’t accelerate and is telling me to put my seatbelt on. Even though my seatbelt is already fastened. I have to put hazards on to let other cars pass, unfasten seatbelt, use toggle wheel to put car on neutral and then drive. The car thinks about it for a while then accelerates eventually… anyone have the same problem?

Just reread the OP - he says Parking brake. Did you really mean that @Mamba? Or did you mean the handbrake? (The button/lever next to the gear selector/parking brake selector).

As @bowfer says, the parking brake is only intended for use when you've stopped and intend to leave the car. So the car expecting the seatbelt to be released after P is applied isn't unexpected.

Haven't come across this problem. Just check that Traffic Jam Assist is not on
(Tap the car symbol bottom right on the home screen and choose the MG pilot tab. TJA should not be highlighted - unless you want it). This doesn't account for the seat belt release problem though.
If not, go to your dealer as others have said.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t be using your parking brake at a traffic stop, no need.
If you don’t want to keep your foot on the brake, use the auto hold feature.
The parking brake is for….er…..parking…. 🤷‍♂️
Aren’t new drivers taught to put it on at lights though?

I suspect that there is one 'Parking' brake, known in the olden days as a 'handbrake'
The Parking brake is applied as part of the 'Auto hold' function (page 194 of the manual) ; when the P knob is pushed (p 190); or the EPB switch is pulled up.
Not sure what happens if you have applied Auto hold and then pull up the EPB switch.

The P button (on the gear selector dial) is different to the handbrake switch/lever - they do different things. Use the lever to apply the handbrake (e.g. at lights); use the parking brake button when you've finished driving and intend to leave the car.

Hi.

When I use my toggle parking break during a traffic stop, the car won’t accelerate and is telling me to put my seatbelt on. Even though my seatbelt is already fastened. I have to put hazards on to let other cars pass, unfasten seatbelt, use toggle wheel to put car on neutral and then drive. The car thinks about it for a while then accelerates eventually… anyone have the same problem?
Why are you using the parking brake during a traffic stop. In fact why use it at all. Just press the footbrake slightly harder until the brake symbol on the driver screen goes green. Then when the traffic moves, use the accelerator. I have had my car for 7 months and have never used the electric handbrake. When finished just press the centre P on the rotary selector.

Hi.

If you mean the handbrake switch next to the gear selector knob, then yes. Have had exactly this. Happened several times, and found that releasing seatbelt and refastening was only way to cure it.

However I discovered the auto hold feature thanks to this forum, and use that now instead. In IT we'd call that a workaround for a bug. Although software developers will tell you it's not a bug, but a feature ;)

There's a similar post on this "feature" from myself and someone else on the forum.

Apologies I do mean the handbrake. Hopefully being introduced to the Autohold feature should solve my issues going forward. Still feels strange pressing the brake pedal that hard to activate Autohold

I've had my car for 7 months and can guarantee that neither myself nor my wife has used the 'switch' not dial) on the centre console when lights/uphill junctions etc. We both simply press the brake a tad harder to ensure the car won't creep forwards.

However, I do occasionally use the dial to select 'P' (for eg at a set of lights I know will be longer than average) and have never had the car refuse to move off once I select 'D'.

Apologies I do mean the handbrake. Hopefully being introduced to the Autohold feature should solve my issues going forward. Still feels strange pressing the brake pedal that hard to activate Autohold
You soon get used to it. I still watch for the "A" symbol on the dash to turn green from white to know autohold has engaged.

It soon becomes second nature. My dealer activated it for me, although I said, I just keep my foot on the brake. But then that little extra push was so easy.

You'll get to the point where, when the perennial "autohold fault" appears, you'll get a bit cross. (It's not a real problem. It's random. When it happens, either drive without the autohold (and keep your foot on the brake), or get out of the car, close the door and lock it, and get back in again.

You soon get used to it. I still watch for the "A" symbol on the dash to turn green from white to know autohold has engaged.
You can hold the brake lightly forever and the A won't kick in - it needs a good push to activate... more so than both the A6 and Corolla that have had the function previously, which was more of a time thing on a lighter application of braking

Yes, you do have to push firmly, but I noticed that if the brake is held lightly then you are using around 5% power while doing so, which I'd rather not waste. Especially as I appear to be in a competition with my wife to see who can get the highest mi/kWh figure on a journey.

She's winning BTW.

It's almost as if there should be a manual built into the infotainment screen so folks could learn how the car works.
RTFM ;)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel