MG Ambient lighting

KMC

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Im on my 3rd Ali express ambient lighting kit & honestly believe Ive finally cracked it. This kit is easy to install & boasts millions of colours & modes. Better still it looks “factory fitted”. You get 2 strips, one longer (passenger side) & a shorter strip for between the steering wheel & door. Behind the driver screen you will see a trim cover, carefully raise & remove it revealing 2 philips screws, remove these enabling you to move the screen out of your way. Now simply push in the strips along the dashboard inbetween the top of the gloss black trim & dashboard fake leather. The wire end should be at the steering wheel end. The screen move enables you to get right round the curve behind the screen. You are almost done !trim the long ends off with sharp scissors & seal ends with electrical tape before pushing in flush. Guide the 2 wire connections down past the screen & put the screen back. Connect them & plug into the usb. It lights up green 😎. The supplied remote needs a cr2032 battery however the instructions give you a link to a free ios/android app. Done ! You can adjust brightness, select any colour or have rainbows scans & god knows what, it will even react to music (if thats your thing). Best of all it looks factory fitted. You may have to power it on/off with the remote, just point it at the thingy plugged into the usb. My Wife loves hers & I love mine.

Attachments

• IMG_7625.jpeg
    IMG_7625.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_7624.jpeg
    IMG_7624.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_7224.jpeg
    IMG_7224.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 345
  • IMG_7223.jpeg
    IMG_7223.jpeg
    884.1 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_7221.jpeg
    IMG_7221.jpeg
    869.9 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_7222.jpeg
    IMG_7222.jpeg
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_7220.jpeg
    IMG_7220.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 342
  • IMG_7219.jpeg
    IMG_7219.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 357
I spotted this post and have just managed to complete this and I have to say a big thanks for posting. As you say it looks totally OEM because you can loose all the wires down where the display is. Absolutely fantastic, thanks!

Im on my 3rd Ali express ambient lighting kit & honestly believe Ive finally cracked it. This kit is easy to install & boasts millions of colours & modes. Better still it looks “factory fitted”. You get 2 strips, one longer (passenger side) & a shorter strip for between the steering wheel & door. Behind the driver screen you will see a trim cover, carefully raise & remove it revealing 2 philips screws, remove these enabling you to move the screen out of your way. Now simply push in the strips along the dashboard inbetween the top of the gloss black trim & dashboard fake leather. The wire end should be at the steering wheel end. The screen move enables you to get right round the curve behind the screen. You are almost done !trim the long ends off with sharp scissors & seal ends with electrical tape before pushing in flush. Guide the 2 wire connections down past the screen & put the screen back. Connect them & plug into the usb. It lights up green 😎. The supplied remote needs a cr2032 battery however the instructions give you a link to a free ios/android app. Done ! You can adjust brightness, select any colour or have rainbows scans & god knows what, it will even react to music (if thats your thing). Best of all it looks factory fitted. You may have to power it on/off with the remote, just point it at the thingy plugged into the usb. My Wife loves hers & I love mine.

Very nice m8.

What's the chance of that light strip whipping out at 200mph in the event of an airbag deployment?

Looks great, but is it dangerous?

Not having a go, you know that, it's just that maybe something you haven't considered?

Like that! Well done! 🙂👍

I spotted this post and have just managed to complete this and I have to say a big thanks for posting. As you say it looks totally OEM because you can loose all the wires down where the display is. Absolutely fantastic, thanks!
Thank you! 🙏 really glad I helped.

Like that! Well done! 🙂👍
Thank you bud.

Not worried about the potential lethality of that strip in a crash m8? 🤔

Maybe I'm just fussing?
But I wouldn't want to risk it.
Many things “cross my mind” however with 23 years NCD & advanced driver qualifications being decapitated by a chinese light strip isnt one of them. Thanks anyway, if I crash I now know to duck ! 😂🤣🫶🏻

Many things “cross my mind” however with 23 years NCD & advanced driver qualifications being decapitated by a chinese light strip isnt one of them. Thanks anyway, if I crash I now know to duck ! 😂🤣🫶🏻

M8, Your car your rules.

You can do whatever the hell you want!
No problem whatsoever.

I also have many driving qualifications and coming up to very nearly 24 years NCD (Did you see my "Anyone crashed their car thread?)

That's the last incident I had.

Just friendly concern, tis all.

It is highly unlikely you're going to have an incident of any kind I'm sure, but that's what we all think.
It's definitely what I think!

I can't state enough, I'm not having a go.
👍😘

Thread 'Anyone crashed their car?' Anyone crashed their car?

Last edited by a moderator:
M8, Your car your rules.

You can do whatever the hell you want!
No problem whatsoever.

I also have many driving qualifications and coming up to very nearly 24 years NCD (Did you see my "Anyone crashed their car thread?)

That's the last incident I had.

Just friendly concern, tis all.

It is highly unlikely your going to have an incident of any kind I'm sure, but that's what we all think.
It's definitely what I think!

I can't state enough, I'm not having a go.
👍😘

Thread 'Anyone crashed their car?' Anyone crashed their car?
Mate you are 1 of the main characters on here. No offence taken at all. I thought you were having a laugh. Just hope I dont hit a wall & lose my napper after “claiming “ to be crash proof. I enjoy the friendly banter on here & I joined to learn about MG & try when possible to help others 👍

Mate you are 1 of the main characters on here. No offence taken at all. I thought you were having a laugh. Just hope I dont hit a wall & lose my napper after “claiming “ to be crash proof. I enjoy the friendly banter on here & I joined to learn about MG & try when possible to help others 👍

Ooo hahaha, 'lose my napper' and 'crash proof'

Tears coming out!!!🤣🤣

Honestly.

That proper tickled me!

Excellent 👍👍🤣🤣🤣

Edit: And before @Ian Key gets here......

'Character????'

Yes! That's one word for him!!!

Yeayyyyy!!!🤣👍😘

Last edited:
Very nice m8.

What's the chance of that light strip whipping out at 200mph in the event of an airbag deployment?

Looks great, but is it dangerous?

Not having a go, you know that, it's just that maybe something you haven't considered?
Everyone thinks its standard fit. Only a thin white line showing when its off & it looks standard. Chances of it “whipping out & decapitating me? ZERO. Although I appreciate your concern. IF any MG4 owners are local to FY5 Lancashire & have bought this kit I am happy to help you 👍

Ooo hahaha, 'lose my napper' and 'crash proof'

Tears coming out!!!🤣🤣

Honestly.

That proper tickled me!

Excellent 👍👍🤣🤣🤣

Edit: And before @Ian Key gets here......

'Character????'

Yes! That's one word for him!!!

Yeayyyyy!!!🤣👍😘

@KMC 🤣🤣🤣

I have just read that again and I laughed more than last time!!

I've adopted 'napper' into my own language!
Excellent!🤣👍🤪

@KMC 🤣🤣🤣

I have just read that again and I laughed more than last time!!

I've adopted 'napper' into my own language!
Excellent!🤣👍🤪
In my youth a neighbour gave me some gip as I dived out of my capri into my Dads house & straight back out again. I replied something along the lines of “up yours you cheeky old #@nt” to which he replied “come back ere & I'll Blow yer napper off !" I drove away laughing my head off (loved him for it) realised he must be an old soldier & I should show him some respect 🫡 OR face a dusty Webley revolver 🤯. 🤣😂🤣
@KMC can you share link to the product? Really would appreciate.
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! £12.27 |

Once cut to length (see passengers side) I used an end tab of black tape. It stops light escaping & dimming the light.

Attachments

• IMG_7665.png
    IMG_7665.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7663.jpeg
    IMG_7663.jpeg
    496.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. It would be really great if you could share some pictures of the work behind the screen.
Honestly there isnt much to show! It simply connects to a usb adapter & plugs in. You push the strip into the gap (difficult as its tight), cut the excess off with sharp scissors & cap the end with plumbers tape then push into place. The only intuitive thing I did was remove the speedo to achieve a factory fit/finish. Standing outside the drivers side you will see a plastic cap behind it, use a plastic trim tool to pop it out & there are 2 philips screws. Lift the speedo out of the way, you can now get both strip end plugs to the left side of the steering column to plug in, and fit both strips flush. Anybody can fit this.

Thanks for that it looks realky good. I think i wil probably go for something like this and go straight to the fuse box as the usb is always in use for me.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for that it looks realky good. I think i wil probably go for something like this and go straight to the fuse box as the usb is always in use for me.
Whats this for please? Unable to see accompanying post. Obviously I can see its a usb 2 replacement 👍

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom