MG Chargehub Firmware

jessejackson

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

Does anybody know of or have access to firmware updates for the MG Chargehub?

I’m running 1.0.0.0.7b107 - is this the latest?

Scheduled charging with my Chargehub/ZS EV simply doesn’t work properly, and through trial and error, I think it comes down to some kind of fault with the charger.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Only idea I have left is make sure you are actually pinging the right device.

The first three octets in a MAC address tell you who the manufacturer is. If the one you found in your router doesn’t start with this: “34:6F:24” then it’s probably not the ChargeHub.

But otherwise if you’ve tried all the other suggestions like power cycling it, then sounds like it’s time to contact Support/Warranty (or a sparky who can make the Ethernet accessible for you)

Upvote 0
Only idea I have left is make sure you are actually pinging the right device.

The first three octets in a MAC address tell you who the manufacturer is. If the one you found in your router doesn’t start with this: “34:6F:24” then it’s probably not the ChargeHub.

But otherwise if you’ve tried all the other suggestions like power cycling it, then sounds like it’s time to contact Support/Warranty (or a sparky who can make the Ethernet accessible for you)
Yeah it starts with 34:6F:24.

One last question: when I plug the ethernet cable in, if I just want to change the hub back to AP mode, can I do that just with a laptop? Or will the ethernet cable have to reach and be connected to my router? Because the charge hub is on the other end of the house from the router.

Upvote 0
Yeah it starts with 34:6F:24.

One last question: when I plug the ethernet cable in, if I just want to change the hub back to AP mode, can I do that just with a laptop?
Yes indeedy - plug straight in to a laptop. The ChargeHub’s ethernet interface has a fixed IP of 192.168.88.206 and no DHCP server.

So just manually assign your laptop an IP in the same range (I used 192.168.88.9 for mine) and make sure you set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

Then you can login to the ChargeHub at 192.168.88.206 with username xxcd and password 28912891, and check/fix the WiFi settings 👍

Upvote 0
Yes indeedy - plug straight in to a laptop. The ChargeHub’s ethernet interface has a fixed IP of 192.168.88.206 and no DHCP server.

So just manually assign your laptop an IP in the same range (I used 192.168.88.9 for mine) and make sure you set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

Then you can login to the ChargeHub at 192.168.88.206 with username xxcd and password 28912891, and check/fix the WiFi settings 👍
Okay great.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Upvote 0
Has anyone being having password errors? I have pulled the Eternet cable but the factory password isn't working and I have not changed it..

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I have an issue after attempting the firmware update from 1.0.0.0.7b107

On the first update attempt the ChargeHub turned off, came back with a light blue colour, then turned into standby green. However, the update still remained at 1.0.0.0.7b107
On the second attempt the ChargeHub flashed green quickly, then turned solid blue and has remained blue since. Again the firmware was still showing 1.0.0.0.7b107

I followed the update instructions to the letter so as not to rush things.

I've tried the turn off and on several times and still it remains blue. If I try to install the latest firmware again it says failed. So now it appears the ChargeHub has locked up or maybe bricked itself.

I'm very reluctant to plug it into my MG4 with the ChargeHub light on blue in case it damages itself, the car or me.

A long shot, but any suggestions welcome. I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer, but thought I'd ask here too. Thanks for all the info in this thread so far.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I have an issue after attempting the firmware update from 1.0.0.0.7b107

On the first update attempt the ChargeHub turned off, came back with a light blue colour, then turned into standby green. However, the update still remained at 1.0.0.0.7b107
On the second attempt the ChargeHub flashed green quickly, then turned solid blue and has remained blue since. Again the firmware was still showing 1.0.0.0.7b107

I followed the update instructions to the letter so as not to rush things.

I've tried the turn off and on several times and still it remains blue. If I try to install the latest firmware again it says failed. So now it appears the ChargeHub has locked up or maybe bricked itself.

I'm very reluctant to plug it into my MG4 with the ChargeHub light on blue in case it damages itself, the car or me.

A long shot, but any suggestions welcome. I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer, but thought I'd ask here too. Thanks for all the info in this thread so far.
try again with a different browser- I used safari on a Mac

has anyone got any copies of older firmware they could post? can't get mg to reply to me at all- so useless. the newer firmware doesn't work with chargehq

Upvote 0

has anyone got any copies of older firmware they could post? can't get mg to reply to me at all- so useless. the newer firmware doesn't work with chargehq
Yes, I was trying it on my MacBook Pro using Safari. Even tried on an iPhone with no luck.
I tried the ChargeHub on our Leaf (not risking the new MG4) to see if it would charge with the ChargeHub light stuck on blue. Nothing. So it appears the ChargeHub might be bricked.

I tried to factory reset the ChargeHub as per the instruction manual, but if you look at the two photos attached that option isn't on the web browser screen shot. Hmm.
ChargeHub manual.png
ChargeHub web browser.png

Upvote 0
I tried to factory reset the ChargeHub as per the instruction manual, but if you look at the two photos attached that option isn't on the web browser screen shot. Hmm.
View attachment 22239View attachment 22240

Did you end up getting this resolved? I literally only noticed yesterday that mine also doesn't have the factory reset option. I see on yours the MG branding has been replaced with Star Charge, so the firmware update looks like it had at least partially completed. (All the MG logos/background images are removed in FW 1.1.2.7.6)

I'd like a copy too of an older firmware if anyone finds it? I'd like to pull the ubi.tar.gz out of the firmware.zip.... however I'm guessing if 1.0.0.0.7b107 was the version it was initially factory installed with there's probably no downloadable version of available :/

Upvote 0
Did you end up getting this resolved? I literally only noticed yesterday that mine also doesn't have the factory reset option. I see on yours the MG branding has been replaced with Star Charge, so the firmware update looks like it had at least partially completed. (All the MG logos/background images are removed in FW 1.1.2.7.6)

I'd like a copy too of an older firmware if anyone finds it? I'd like to pull the ubi.tar.gz out of the firmware.zip.... however I'm guessing if 1.0.0.0.7b107 was the version it was initially factory installed with there's probably no downloadable version of available :/
Just last week our MG dealer replaced the ChargeHub with a new unit. Their technician did the firmware update on the new unit (it came with the old firmware) and after much trial and error, found out the name of the firmware file has to be changed for the update to load. I don't know what the file name has to be changed to sorry, but it was good to know I wasn't doing anything wrong when I was following the update procedure. Very strange that the firmware file has to be re-named before updating.

Upvote 0
Just last week our MG dealer replaced the ChargeHub with a new unit. Their technician did the firmware update on the new unit (it came with the old firmware) and after much trial and error, found out the name of the firmware file has to be changed for the update to load. I don't know what the file name has to be changed to sorry, but it was good to know I wasn't doing anything wrong when I was following the update procedure. Very strange that the firmware file has to be re-named before updating.
Oh well that's good that at least they replaced it rather than leave you with one that could be flaky.

I'm not surprised their web interface is finicky with the upload. Best I can tell the unit runs on Linux (which is fine) but with a Boa web server, which hasn't been in development since 2005 (which is less than ideal vulnerabilities-wise...). But StarCharge seem to have a pretty good reputation so fingers crossed MG keeps in touch with future updates.

Upvote 0
hi, for chrome windows users, the upload process didnt seem to work there.

tried again with a fresh install of firefox browser and it immediately worked...infact, everything seemed to work better with firefox so best switch over to that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you get ChargeHQ working? I was looking into setting it up this weekend and just wondering what problem you ran into with the latest firmware.

Edit: Never mind, decided to set it up this morning and all working fine with ChargeHQ + latest firmware. Very handy app, wish I’d done it sooner!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom