MG customer service is TERRIBLE!

I long ago gave up with mileage on GOMs and jus keep an eye on battery percentage 25% no lower I know I have around 40 miles in winter and 50 in summer of range to find a charger or get to my destination or home
Les

I long ago gave up with mileage on GOMs and jus keep an eye on battery percentage 25% no lower I know I have around 40 miles in winter and 50 in summer of range to find a charger or get to my destination or home
Les
Aye just like in the olden days of dino travel. Just jump in , check the “tank” - if it’s less than a quarter full fill her up and just go and enjoy life or lunch or whatever. Yesterday won’t repeat and tomorrow’s a bit far to plan.

Given some of the stories on ethis forum (+ an apparent lack of fault detection knowledge via MG service people) I purchased the Vgate OBDII diagnostic reader (I think it was £30-40, amazon). My point is I can then read the diagnostics. So knowing something rather than be fobbed off. And yes (for a dummy like me) the Vgate App is brilliant.

Hi all I am looking for some help with my issue and how to deal with MG’s terrible customer service.

My MG5 suddenly stopped working: the car would start but I couldn’t select Drive/Neutral/Reverse and all the lights are on the gear selector. This is a video of the issue:

Here is my MG5 customer service timeline:
  • April 2021 - I buy the MG5 EV, great car no issues. Get the 1-year service in April 2022.
  • 20th July 2022 (Wednesday) MG5 will not go into gear, car cannot be driven. AA attempts disconnecting battery for 10 mins, reattaching, no help.
  • 22nd July (Friday) Car is recovered by AA to go to MG Ruislip service centre. No courtesy cars are available until September 2022.
  • 27th July (Wednesday) Called MG Eastcote to get update, they state they are sending data to MG and waiting for their response.
  • 2nd August (today) No progress with the repair. I call MG Eastcote and MG Ruislip multiple times about courtesy car, they refuse to request/supply one in a reasonable timeframe.
I have called multiple times to MG Eastcote dealership (Amna) who state there are no courtesy cars available, the next ones are available in mid-September 2022.

However when I call MG customer service (Hannah) they state that as soon as my car has been taken in and I am immobile then the MG dealer/service centre should arrange a courtesy car, OR they arrange a hire car from their contract with Enterprise.

So I play phone tag with MG Eastcote (Amna) and MG Ruislip (Ray) again and they say they have never heard of the policy. They say that a courtesy car cannot be requested unless a part has been ordered, and because they don’t know what is wrong or what part to order, they cannot process the courtesy car request.

I have asked MG customer service (Hannah) to escalate the issue. However I do not have much hope that this will produce any result.

What I would like advice on:

Courtesy car:
MG basically refuse to give me a courtesy car within a reasonable time frame (now over a week, no cars until mid-September). What else can I do?
Through my car insurance Admiral, I am entitled to 2 days of hire from Enterprise, however this isn’t enough for me as my car could be out of commission for months - as it’s been over a week they haven’t identified the issue yet.
I’ve signed up to Zipcar in the meantime but don’t fancy paying £100 per day just to drive a car.

Legal warranty:
How many days/weeks/months can MG hold onto my car with no conclusive fix? At what point can I demand legal action, compensation, refund or a new car?

Couldn’t agree more. My new MG4 Trophy had its first service about a year ago. In anticipation, I spoke to the Service Dept of Hendy MG Exeter to make sure that the fault symbols on the screen were covered under warranty and it was readily confirmed that they were. However, on collection and driving home it was clear that NOT one fault had been cleared AND this Main Dealer’s completion form showed that it should automatically have been road tested which it WAS NOT. I emailed the Company with a polite request for clarification and so far, many months later, NO REPLY, ACKNOWLEDGMENT at all. The second service is due about now but what’s to do? Try Hendy again with fingers crossed or drive over 90 minutes to the original MG dealer?? Hopeless MG indifference-as soon as you buy they couldn’t care less. E&OE

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn’t agree more. My new MG4 Trophy had its first service about a year ago. In anticipation, I spoke to the Service Dept of Hendy MG Exeter to make sure that the fault symbols on the screen were covered under warranty and it was readily confirmed that they were. However, on collection and driving home it was clear that NOT one fault had been cleared AND this Main Dealer’s completion form showed that it should automatically have been road tested which it WAS NOT. I emailed the Company with a polite request for clarification and so far, many months later, NO REPLY, ACKNOWLEDGMENT at all. The second service is due about now but what’s to do? Try Hendy again with fingers crossed or drive over 90 minutes to the original MG dealer?? Hopeless MG indifference-as soon as you buy they couldn’t care less. E&OE
Vote with your feet !.

MG Kia Ruislip. WLMG? I would never take a car there. It used to be Nissan service center as well. They're terrible. Mill Hill might have been a better bet. Courtesy car excuse is a long running one.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom