• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG customer service is TERRIBLE!

Thanks my error is slightly different to yours. Picked up the car finally on Monday, it turned out to be a control unit error, they replaced the entire part (the gear selector bit).

I'm still very unhappy with how this was handled and how I was immobile for over 2 weeks after buying a brand new car only 16 months. I will make a video documenting this entire saga soon.
A video of this unhappy saga would be greatly appreciated. Glad you’re mobile once more.

Thanks for that Andy it would be good to know what the issue was but please is your 5 LR or the SR version Of the 5 I’m thinking SR
Les.

Last edited:
Hi all I am looking for some help with my issue and how to deal with MG’s terrible customer service.

My MG5 suddenly stopped working: the car would start but I couldn’t select Drive/Neutral/Reverse and all the lights are on the gear selector. This is a video of the issue:

Here is my MG5 customer service timeline:
  • April 2021 - I buy the MG5 EV, great car no issues. Get the 1-year service in April 2022.
  • 20th July 2022 (Wednesday) MG5 will not go into gear, car cannot be driven. AA attempts disconnecting battery for 10 mins, reattaching, no help.
  • 22nd July (Friday) Car is recovered by AA to go to MG Ruislip service centre. No courtesy cars are available until September 2022.
  • 27th July (Wednesday) Called MG Eastcote to get update, they state they are sending data to MG and waiting for their response.
  • 2nd August (today) No progress with the repair. I call MG Eastcote and MG Ruislip multiple times about courtesy car, they refuse to request/supply one in a reasonable timeframe.
I have called multiple times to MG Eastcote dealership (Amna) who state there are no courtesy cars available, the next ones are available in mid-September 2022.

However when I call MG customer service (Hannah) they state that as soon as my car has been taken in and I am immobile then the MG dealer/service centre should arrange a courtesy car, OR they arrange a hire car from their contract with Enterprise.

So I play phone tag with MG Eastcote (Amna) and MG Ruislip (Ray) again and they say they have never heard of the policy. They say that a courtesy car cannot be requested unless a part has been ordered, and because they don’t know what is wrong or what part to order, they cannot process the courtesy car request.

I have asked MG customer service (Hannah) to escalate the issue. However I do not have much hope that this will produce any result.

What I would like advice on:

Courtesy car:
MG basically refuse to give me a courtesy car within a reasonable time frame (now over a week, no cars until mid-September). What else can I do?
Through my car insurance Admiral, I am entitled to 2 days of hire from Enterprise, however this isn’t enough for me as my car could be out of commission for months - as it’s been over a week they haven’t identified the issue yet.
I’ve signed up to Zipcar in the meantime but don’t fancy paying £100 per day just to drive a car.

Legal warranty:
How many days/weeks/months can MG hold onto my car with no conclusive fix? At what point can I demand legal action, compensation, refund or a new car?

I agree MG customer service is appalling. My MG ZS EV just stops and coast to a stop. Happen on a smart motorway the other day when one of the kids driving. Very dangerous. We now won’t drive it on the motorway.
MG say no issue because computer doesn’t throw a fault code.
Would not by another one!

I agree MG customer service is appalling. My MG ZS EV just stops and coast to a stop. Happen on a smart motorway the other day when one of the kids driving. Very dangerous. We now won’t drive it on the motorway.
MG say no issue because computer doesn’t throw a fault code.
Would not by another one!
Do you get HV battery cut off errors when it happens?

Different problems with my MG5 trophy, but I’ve found the whole process with MG dealership, MG garages/servicing and anything to do with trying to get things sorted with my MG5 absolutely impossible, pretty much like there is no customer service… Very, very disappointing to say the least! Considering it’s a brand-new car, if I could click my fingers and turn back the clock I would have chosen something else purely for this reason, absolutely shocking. As it is now I’m not sure I’d get all my money back even if I did return it.

Different problems with my MG5 trophy, but I’ve found the whole process with MG dealership, MG garages/servicing and anything to do with trying to get things sorted with my MG5 absolutely impossible, pretty much like there is no customer service… Very, very disappointing to say the least! Considering it’s a brand-new car, if I could click my fingers and turn back the clock I would have chosen something else purely for this reason, absolutely shocking. As it is now I’m not sure I’d get all my money back even if I did return it.
What problems have you had?

My experience has turned into a complete waste of time. From the early days where MG would not release information pertaining to my Battery problems. Giving BS answers like - it will take a while to fix itself. 6 months later still not ‘fixed itself’ and then told it will take a while longer. Then it was my fault for rapid charging the car. BTW I didn’t in the 2 months preceding that visit. BS.
I have resorted to letting the lease run out. 18 months to go. Car off the road due to headlight fault and battery knackered. MG will not accept any problem with car.

I purchased my MG5 Trophy Estate motor vehicle from Richmond Motors, Guildford in April this year. On picking he vehicle up it was only charged to 30 per cent. The saleslady apologised for it not being fully charged. I tried charging this vehicle from the mains in my house and then with a car charger I had installed. At no time would it charge over 90 per cent. This vehicle was advertised with a range of 250 miles at 100 per cent and with 90 per cent charge it was only showing about 217 miles. I put in to Richmond motors under warranty and after a day in the garage was told to take the vehicle home and charge it on the home mains about six times. I did this and there was no change, it still only charged up to 90 per cent. I have since put it back in under warranty and when I collected it later that day was told that it had been changed to to 100 per cent and that I (the customer) will need to charge and test this myself. Well, yes it charged to 100 per cent and the range shown is now only between 190 and 207 miles, which is considerably less than 250 miles range and less than the 217 miles initially at 90 per cent charge. I have tried calling Richmond Motors to have my car put in again under warranty, but I just cannot get hold of their services department to do this. I have left my telephone number with the main office at MG Richmond Motors, Guildford who have said they will pass this number on to the service department but I have not heard from them. Are there an Legal Eagle reading this to see how I can deal with this legally under warranty as this is just not good enough. Thank you for any response.

I purchased my MG5 Trophy Estate motor vehicle from Richmond Motors, Guildford in April this year. On picking he vehicle up it was only charged to 30 per cent. The saleslady apologised for it not being fully charged. I tried charging this vehicle from the mains in my house and then with a car charger I had installed. At no time would it charge over 90 per cent. This vehicle was advertised with a range of 250 miles at 100 per cent and with 90 per cent charge it was only showing about 217 miles. I put in to Richmond motors under warranty and after a day in the garage was told to take the vehicle home and charge it on the home mains about six times. I did this and there was no change, it still only charged up to 90 per cent. I have since put it back in under warranty and when I collected it later that day was told that it had been changed to to 100 per cent and that I (the customer) will need to charge and test this myself. Well, yes it charged to 100 per cent and the range shown is now only between 190 and 207 miles, which is considerably less than 250 miles range and less than the 217 miles initially at 90 per cent charge. I have tried calling Richmond Motors to have my car put in again under warranty, but I just cannot get hold of their services department to do this. I have left my telephone number with the main office at MG Richmond Motors, Guildford who have said they will pass this number on to the service department but I have not heard from them. Are there an Legal Eagle reading this to see how I can deal with this legally under warranty as this is just not good enough. Thank you for any response.
Reset the trip meters, you will have your required guess at range then.

The estimated range is a guess, hence called the Guess-O-Meter (GOM) and is based on many factors such as past driving and temperature to name but two.
Resetting the accumulated trip resets it to WLTP figures.
The salesmen never tell you this but it should be widely known by now that the GOM is not to be relied upon totally.

You can set the max charge in the car infotainment so I'm guessing it was set at 90% when you picked it up.

Download yourself a manual and have a quick read, or use the search button on the forum to find answers to popular questions.

Frankly sound exactly the same script that Glyn Hopkins MK was reading from.
Lots of BS statements from them.

Warranty is flaky and dealers don’t have the kit or knowledge to test.

I was also told it was my fault that it wouldn’t charge to 100% because I fast charged it. First - slow charge it 6 times and it will balance. After 6 months without a fast charge same situation - answer ‘it will take a while to balance after a fast charge’.

One year left on the lease then it goes back. Hurrah.

Escalation to MG uk is also useless. They ask for Emails and then ignore them.

Frankly sound exactly the same script that Glyn Hopkins MK was reading from.
Lots of BS statements from them.

Warranty is flaky and dealers don’t have the kit or knowledge to test.

I was also told it was my fault that it wouldn’t charge to 100% because I fast charged it. First - slow charge it 6 times and it will balance. After 6 months without a fast charge same situation - answer ‘it will take a while to balance after a fast charge’.

One year left on the lease then it goes back. Hurrah.

Escalation to MG uk is also useless. They ask for Emails and then ignore them.
Very similar to what I was told when I first took it back under warranty, but i had already slow charged it at least six times. The other day it showed 40 per cent charged with a sixty mile range, way off what it should be 100 miles. I have tried by three different routes to make contact with the service department at Richmond motors, i) formal complaint online, ii) spoke to lady at reception who took my details and passed them onto the service department, iii) and sent a message to the salesperson who sold the car, who said she will be contacting the service department, but still not contact from them. I was left on hold to the service department also for an awful long time. As far as I am concerned there is no customer service skills.

The other day it showed 40 per cent charged with a sixty mile range, way off what it should be 100 miles.

Agreed, that's pretty low! But did you read what @Gomev wrote in reply #30?

That "range meter" is (only half-jokingly) called the "Guess-O-Meter" because it guesses what range you will achieve!

Please do as he wrote and reset all your trip meters and then check again!

Also, did you note what he said about the setting in the Infotainment screen on the FL model which allows you to set a maximum charge percentage?

You say your car is the MG5 trophy so the face lift model like mine have you download the ISmart App as you can also adjust the amounts the car will charge to in there and on more than one occasion I have found the two have been different so go onto the App and lock that at 100%
Les

Appalling is an understatement!!!! I’ve been without my MG5 since 3 June, yes that’s 6 months. Richmond and MG UK don’t seem to care. And no courtesy vehicle. For anyone thinking of buying an MG, my advice …. think again. I regret the day I ever walked in to the dealership.

Appalling is an understatement!!!! I’ve been without my MG5 since 3 June, yes that’s 6 months. Richmond and MG UK don’t seem to care. And no courtesy vehicle. For anyone thinking of buying an MG, my advice …. think again. I regret the day I ever walked in to the dealership.
Hi RichP I could not believe what you had written and the situation you are in surely that needs escalating further 6 months without a vehicle is your right appalling service from your dealer or MG motors, was this due to an accident? A neighbour of mine had something similar after an accident with is MG5 last year several months waiting for body parts it is down right ridiculous.
Les

Hi RichP I could not believe what you had written and the situation you are in surely that needs escalating further 6 months without a vehicle is your right appalling service from your dealer or MG motors, was this due to an accident? A neighbour of mine had something similar after an accident with is MG5 last year several months waiting for body parts it is down right ridiculous.
Les
Hi Les, no just 4 identical breakdowns. Fault remains undiagnosed and the only replacement vehicles I’ve had have been for the initial 3 days after each breakdown courtesy of the AA. After banging my head against a brick wall since June I’ve now put it in the hands of a solicitor. I can’t even believe I’m writing this, appalling. And MGUK just aren’t interested.

Les
RichP. Use the small claims courts to escalate this. I did with a similar issue and there is no implication herein to the Motor Manufacturer involved.
Andy

Les
Ps I’ve seen various comment on this site that one should not expect German OEM levels of service. I disagree - Sale of Goods act applies to all OEMs and good customer service costs nothing.

Rmmrecs, finally got the vehicle booked in, "for the new year. Sorry for being an idiot, but how do I reset the trip meters?

@David O

Yours is the facelift model and I have the pre-facelift, but assuming the procedure for you is similar:

Starting from the Driver Display being in the standard view, on the right hand side of the steering wheel press either the Up or Down arrow buttons. These scroll through a series of menu screens. One of these is a Trip Meter, another is an Accumulated Total Meter. Whilst showing each of them in turn, press and hold the OK button.

I see @Alb has replied whilst I was typing!

Rmmrecs, finally got the vehicle booked in, "for the new year. Sorry for being an idiot, but how do I reset the trip meters?
Here you go, accumilatted trip is the important one.

IMG_2084.jpeg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom