MG Cyberster options in China

ptallett

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Options list available in China, translated from MG in China. Obviously UK may/will be different.

Highlights:
  • body colours red, silver, yellow
  • interior burgundy ONLY (showstopper for me)
  • auto headlights
  • auto wipers
  • electric, heated, suede seats (not leather it seems)
  • air conditioning
  • BOSE 8-speaker sound
  • keyless entry
  • 360 camera
  • remote summon
  • adaptive cruise (not available on base model, seems standard on others)

Details from the spec sheet:
==================

MG Cyberster Glamor Edition
- 310BHP/475Nm
- CLTC Range 311 miles
- Max speed 120MPH
- 0-62 4.9
- Battery 64kWh ternary lithium
- 19" alloy wheels
- Tyres front 245/45, rear 275/40

MG Cyberster Style Edition
- 335BHP/475Nm
- CLTC Range 311 miles
- Max speed 122MPH
- 0-62 4.9
- Battery 77kWh ternary lithium
- 20" alloy wheels
- Tyres front 245/40, rear 275/35

MG Cyberster Pioneer Edition Legendary (4WD)
- 536BHP/725Nm
- CLTC Range 311 miles
- Max speed 124MPH
- 0-62 3.2
- Battery 77kWh ternary lithium
- 20" alloy wheels
- Tyres front 245/40, rear 275/35

Body colours: Red Flame Red/Bullet silver/Speed of light yellow
Interior colours: burgundy red

Dimensions (mm) 4535*1913*1329
Wheelbase (mm) 2690

DC fast charging function
Brake energy recovery system (adjustable intensity)
Charging port charging status indicator light
Battery preheating function
Front double wishbone independent suspension
Multi-link independent rear suspension
Electric Power Steering (EPS)
Active air intake grille (AGS)
Curve Control System (XDS)
Auto Hold
Electronic parking (EPB)
Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
Red fixed BREMBO front brake caliper
Tire repair tool
Electric scissor door
Frameless windows
Electric soft-top convertible
LED eye of the storm headlights
Headlight light sensor automatically turns on/off
Follow me home/Headlight delay shut-off function
LED daytime running lights
LED arrow tail light
Reversing light
LED rear fog light
LED high mount brake light
Push-button electronic gearshift
256 colors ambient light
Suede A- pillar and front fender roof
Y- shaped sports seats (Dinamica suede material)
6-way electric adjustment of main and passenger seats
Front seat heating (multi-speed)
Leather multi-function steering wheel
4-way manual adjustment of the steering
wheel and electric adjustment, heating and folding of the exterior mirrors
Exterior rearview mirror automatically folds when parking, interior rearview mirror manually anti-dazzle
Two-door electric windows with one-button up and down with anti-pinch rain sensor
boneless wipers, speed sensor, automatic locking, rear window heating
automatic dual-zone constant temperature air conditioning
Air conditioner high pressure PTC
PM2.5 filter function
Main and passenger sun visors (with vanity mirror + mirror cover + lighting)
Glasses case and glove box with lights
Front armrest box storage
12V power supply for luggage compartment
Luggage compartment storage mesh pocket
luggage compartment carpet
7+10.25+7 inch triple screen
BOSE 8-speaker Audiopilot sound system active sound exclusive
shape remote control keyless entry
Intelligent remote interconnection control system
Front USB port *2
Bluetooth communication
Radio
Alarm for driver and passenger seat belts not fastened
Pre-tightened force-limited seat belts for the driver and passenger
Front airbag
Front side airbags
TPMS direct tire pressure monitoring
driving recorder
pedestrian warning system
High-definition 360° panoramic reversing image
Rear parking radar
front reversing radar
Remote parking system (straight in, straight out)

MG PILOT2.0 high-end intelligent driving assistance - not available on base model
  • Intelligent Cruise Assist (ICA)
  • Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
  • Blind Spot Detection (BSD)
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA)
  • Reverse blind spot monitoring (RCTA)
  • Door opening warning system (DOW)
  • Rear Collision Warning (RCW)
  • Intelligent Speed Assist System (SAS)
  • Intelligent high and low beam control system (IHC)
  • Emergency Lane Keeping Assist (ELKA)
  • Adaptive cruise system (ACC)

Seems there will be other colour interiors - whew!

The article mentions how it will be a rival to the Porsche Boxster (which is a bit strange, given how they said the Cyberster is not a sports car, but the Boxster clearly is). Not a chance. It tops out at 124mph, keeping up with a base 1.5 MX5, but woefully behind the Porsche. And while thats a number you can't get to in somewhere like the UK, it is something you can get to in countries like Germany. And bragging numbers are important.

It will be in a league of its own. The buyers will be virtue signaling, rather than making a conscious effort to genuinely switch from Porsche or Mercedes. Still waiting for proper reviews rather than tame amateur Youtubers on a Potemkin holiday island or ride alongs in the UK.

This is more Mercedes SL than Boxster. It's not far off in terms of size but it is very low. It'll probably be 3 to 6 months before they get a sniff of a press car or demo

Germany would probably require a software update for that top speed. Maybe 155 or 170. 124 is just getting started lol

This is more Mercedes SL than Boxster. It's not far off in terms of size but it is very low. It'll probably be 3 to 6 months before they get a sniff of a press car or demo

Germany would probably require a software update for that top speed. Maybe 155 or 170. 124 is just getting started lol
More like a Mercedes is like comparing Saisho/Matsui to Bang and Olufsen. No one buying a top end Mercedes is going to seriously consider this car. MG will probably do well to avoid giving out cars to journalists to do group tests.

There are a couple of reasons why the top end seems low. Firstly battery range; at higher speeds, there is an exponential increase in drag; the range will fall drastically. But the major reason is the gearing rations. EVs have a single ratio gearbox. If you want a car that is driveable at normal town speeds and for high speed cruising, you need a 2-speed gearbox. Its going to take more than a software patch LOL.

More like a Mercedes is like comparing Saisho/Matsui to Bang and Olufsen. No one buying a top end Mercedes is going to seriously consider this car. MG will probably do well to avoid giving out cars to journalists to do group tests.

There are a couple of reasons why the top end seems low. Firstly battery range; at higher speeds, there is an exponential increase in drag; the range will fall drastically. But the major reason is the gearing rations. EVs have a single ratio gearbox. If you want a car that is driveable at normal town speeds and for high speed cruising, you need a 2-speed gearbox. Its going to take more than a software patch LOL.
Tesla pretty much proves your 2 speed box argument to be nonsense. You've clearly never driven one.

Out of interest, why are you hanging about on here when you clearly don't seem to like MG EV's? All your comments seem to be negative. You might be happier frequenting forums that feature things you actually like more lol!

Last edited:
I thought Brusque's earlier comments contributed to the debate and agree 125 top speed is a bit odd for a car like this. We could postulate why so low - maybe the rag top is going to rip off above that? The top speed is really only for Top Trumps though and hasn't put me off. I'm not sure you can assume a Mercedes buyer wouldn't consider it - I've had 4 Aston Martins and a McLaren and have put a deposit down for the Cyberster - its the first convertible EV. Even the Boxster EV is going to be a lot more money and the Cyberster is too expensive for what it is IMHO.

Brusque missed the fact British buyers are more flexible than other markets. An astounding amount of well to do brits would buy a Chinese car and don't care about Emperor Xi decision making politically. I met a few at the reveal... that used to drive more upmarket cars. One guy picked up an XPower and had high performance sports cars in the past. He was definitely Interested in the Cyberster.

50 to 60k will probably be high mid range performance on German ie M lite 240i, c43... . An opportunity to get more performance for the money and something different is tempting. Although it's not a top marque. Boxster would most likely be around 80k for upper spec.

Pulling a Rockstar and hiding demos is the wrong strategy imo. I think they should have confidence in the product and take on board the criticisms and Improve the car over 4 year lifespan. With confidence they could do a coupe. Imagine this car on the usual carwows, top gear, autotrader etc. People would take notice if it smokes the Taycan and Audi E Tron etc. It won't do MG4 numbers but it'll lead to more enquiries.

Brusque missed the fact British buyers are more flexible than other markets. An astounding amount of well to do brits would buy a Chinese car and don't care about Emperor Xi decision making politically. I met a few at the reveal... that used to drive more upmarket cars. One guy picked up an XPower and had high performance sports cars in the past. He was definitely Interested in the Cyberster.

50 to 60k will probably be high mid range performance on German ie M lite 240i, c43... . An opportunity to get more performance for the money and something different is tempting. Although it's not a top marque. Boxster would most likely be around 80k for upper spec.

Pulling a Rockstar and hiding demos is the wrong strategy imo. I think they should have confidence in the product and take on board the criticisms and Improve the car over 4 year lifespan. With confidence they could do a coupe. Imagine this car on the usual carwows, top gear, autotrader etc. People would take notice if it smokes the Taycan and Audi E Tron etc. It won't do MG4 numbers but it'll lead to more enqPouiries.
Post European launch, I don't see this car having a 4 year lifespan. I expect when its subjected to more skeptical reviews, it will be found very superficial in many areas. Perhaps that's all it is intended to do; look good in the showroom so more hatchbacks and SUVs can be sold.

The mystery parachuting in of celebrity Italian engineers and UK MG engineers in reviews saying the car still needs more work for Europe seems more part of a marketing/propaganda effort, trying to give the car European roots (and is therefore seen as "credible") when it has none.

And after 4 years, I'm not even certain it will be replaced, but just dropped, its job done.

I'm not buying the hype. Its understandable people taking in the hype, ie because its the return of a much loved iconic brand (though a brand that wasn't that much liked when they were making them at Longbridge).

You might think they should have more confidence, but then, they do know the product better than you and I. People take notice of the Xpower because its cheap, so will forgive the crap handling and ebay plastic brake caliper covers. But this Cyberster is being hyped up to not particularly cheap.

Tesla pretty much proves your 2 speed box argument to be nonsense. You've clearly never driven one.

Out of interest, why are you hanging about on here when you clearly don't seem to like MG EV's? All your comments seem to be negative. You might be happier frequenting forums that feature things you actually like more lol!

You do know how Tesla get their Plaid to top numbers? Its not because of a software tweak, but instead they worked out an awkward innovation on brake discs, and avoided the gearbox. This is what a company came up with after 20 years in business and 10 years building essentially variations of the same model. They tried a 2-speed in their original Roadster, and lacked the knowhow to make that work. Porsche, when it comes to gearboxes, doesn't lack the knowhow, and made it work. Tesla went the awkward way because it is a nonconventional company.

SAIC brought a redundant badge but not the knowhow. I was hopeful that some of that 70+ engineering pedigree was somehow transferred, when Longbridge engineers went over to China to try and make the Rover 75-based MG6 work. For this, I don't think anything did. Its essentially a Chinese engineered project. MG-Rover always used to be good at chassis tuning. But seeing the Italian slide deck, its interesting they had to, at a late stage, flying in external consultants to tell them about stiffer pushed, trimmed springs and thicker anti-roll bars. Prior to acquiring the MG name, their track record was making VW parts, then making GM parts, then taking over a Korean firm that basically made on GM cars, followed by another Korean company making cars with obsolete Mercedes underpinnings. No creativity whatsoever. I wish that the Cyberster was the culmination of 18 years of technical innovation, but its not. Its a variation of the Xingyun platform, used to underpin the economy car MG4, which is said to be similar to a GM platform.

SAIC/MG seems to be a secretive company. All trackwork and reliability testing has been done in China. In the first few years, their patents had an international favour in the inventors, now they have taken it all in house. I had hoped the Warwick Technical Centre would show a hand in the filings. It has not. The Cyberster, despite Union flags, is 100% Chinese, and has yet to undergo true scrutiny.

Out of interest, why don't you block my comments. There is a setting for that.

Why are you only interested in discussion where all the comments are happy clappy types? Its not really a discussion then. Some cruder individuals then call that a C****e J**k.

People take notice of the Xpower because its cheap, so will forgive the crap handling and ebay plastic brake caliper covers. But this Cyberster is being hyped up to not particularly cheap.
The X Power doesn't have "crap handling" and "doesn't have plastic brake Caliper covers"
They are Metal. 🙂

I thought Brusque's earlier comments contributed to the debate and agree 125 top speed is a bit odd for a car like this. We could postulate why so low - maybe the rag top is going to rip off above that? The top speed is really only for Top Trumps though and hasn't put me off. I'm not sure you can assume a Mercedes buyer wouldn't consider it - I've had 4 Aston Martins and a McLaren and have put a deposit down for the Cyberster - its the first convertible EV. Even the Boxster EV is going to be a lot more money and the Cyberster is too expensive for what it is IMHO.

With that sort of garage lineup, I expect you are a gambling type of person.

If you are putting a deposit down because the Cyberster is the first EV convertible, you will be mistaken. That goes to BMW, with one of the MINI versions. Tesla will claim the Tesla Roadster was the first, as it had removeable roof panels. Even then, that is not quite true as you can go back to a 1900 Lohner-Porsche.

If you think the speed is limited because the roof will fall off, well that is quite worrying about the rest of the car. That's not the reason LOL.

I will still to my view that most Porsche and Mercedes buyers will not be cross shopping. I can't rule out they aren't cross shopping other cheap brands. There's probably someone out there comparing a Dacia to a Mercedes.

The X Power doesn't have "crap handling" and "doesn't have plastic brake Caliper covers"
They are Metal. 🙂

XPower handling I would assume is a tad sportier than the standard car. I wouldn't expect it to be RS3 tuned suspension. But I'd expect it to have been tested on a course with cones and be capable somewhat around a corner. Then they've had to make a combination of economy and performance. Maybe add some alcantara and slightly bigger wheels as well stiffer springs. The car's £6k more so it's a tight budget to make drastic changes

If he doesn't like the Cyberster he can always get the Boxster.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mystery parachuting in of celebrity Italian engineers and UK MG engineers in reviews saying the car still needs more work for Europe seems more part of a marketing/propaganda effort, trying to give the car European roots (and is therefore seen as "credible") when it has none.

And after 4 years, I'm not even certain it will be replaced, but just dropped, its job done.

I'm not buying the hype. Its understandable people taking in the hype, ie because its the return of a much loved iconic brand (though a brand that wasn't that much liked when they were making them at Longbridge).

It may not have been overly popular but I assume a lot of people bought and owned MGs and there are still a lot floating around that are over 40 years old for sale in higher numbers than other classic car brands.

The Engineers saying that are probably nervous about European criticisms and potential failure. If SAIC were serious they would send test cars here to be looked at this December before snow kicks in and prepped for British customers. From what I'm seeing the major cities in China have smooth roads and good infrastructure. It's not the doom the West will have you believe. So Im not sure it's the best place to test it for British customers. They should give me a test car debadged. I promise to report back absent bias of course. Lol

I don't think MG will drop it like Nissan dropped Infiniti. They've hyped it up and talked about ethos and returning to the fray. Sales are good and going up. A section of car buyers are there to be tapped up. Especially city people who have ULEZ and Noise cameras to worry about.

Mmmmm... all this talk of how hopeless it will be and how it will fail... let's wait and see - oh and re-engineering for Europe is standard practice for all OEMs: European buyers are at a different price point and have different road conditions and handling expectations than the Chinese. This has been a thing in different markets since at least the 1960s.

I think the Cyberster is a very straightforward offering - for the zillionth time it is not an MX5 competitor, it is aiming at the grand tourer convertible market such as the Jaguar F-Type, Mercedes SL and (yes) Porsche Boxster. Each of those three are aimed at different mix of comfort, handling, refinement. The Cyberster will be another new mix.

Top Speed is irrelevant for 99% of people and especially British buyers. As has been said before, if you want a track car, buy a track car, if you want to drive at 150+mph on the limited bits of derestricted autobahn, then buy something suitable for that, you'll hardly want the top down! But this is a tiny tiny percentage of people and not the intended market.

Well said! I think Mercedes SL meets F Type Convertible in an EV format is more realistic than comparing it with an MX5. The porportions certainly are much larger than an MX5. The car sits very low. So getting in and out might be an issue for some. I definitely felt my knees as as i stepped out. Then again I was at the gym the day before lol.

The car was taken to 130 mph and still climbing on the autobahn. So I think it can easily be derestricted with a software patch. Whether its made to go that fast is another story. It would have been tested to high speeds in China. I mean a "gentleman's" agreement of say 155 to 170mph should be sufficient for the German market. No one in UK will legally be able to go above 70mph anyway

Some things I still think they need to look at

• Possibly adding "airscarf" for the european market
  • Air Conditioned seats
  • Self Park
  • Heated steering wheel
  • manual opening doors in event of no power
  • Door can be opened normally outwards in emergency/crash
  • Different interior/exterior colours post launch for UK
  • UK Market should get more colour and wheel options for the money
  • Electronic dampening. I suppose another thing that could fail
I dont think its coming with adjustable/electronic dampers etc. Doesn't seem like it. It would be a good addition to change on the fly. Could be purely optional for those that want or dont want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm enjoying reading the Chinese forum. Some honest critic comments about the car. My main concern is the suggestions above to make it better since design is finalised. We can forget about facelifts for 4 years but add some things for the money. Hopefully once the new year hits we will see if SAIC bother to make changes for the European market. Maybe an admin can email my suggestions above to SAIC MG Headquarters here in London and thank me later lol

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom