image_editor_1685110557249.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 220
  • image_editor_1685110565049.jpg
    image_editor_1685110565049.jpg
    618.7 KB · Views: 202
  • image_editor_1685110574123.jpg
    image_editor_1685110574123.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 225
LOL. Someone literally nicked a part from the parts bin; the tape is still on the buttons. Is that ok now, posting photos of stolen parts?

Oh dear, not another manufacturer trying to use a yoke. Do they never learn?
Actually they probably have. Tesla did it wrong. Lexus has done it better. Tesla did it as a gimmick. Lexus has done it so drivers don't kill themselves driving a 400hp car for the first time.

You're probably aware of videos of stupidly powerful cars getting into a tax slapper in the hands of an experienced driver. You might also recall when manufacturers started putting turbos on front wheel drive cars for extra power. The MG Montego Turbo was on the verge of being undriveable with the amount of torque steer it suffered in a traffic light grand prix. Electric motors are much more response than ICE, and as a result, there has to be a radical rethink from the way we have steered cars for 120+ yeears.

Interesting, I hadn't seen that EE episode. The lag in the Lexus is a bit concerning and I'm not sure how they engineer that out. In a physical system you limited by how fast you can move the whole system. Unless they forcibly slow the yoke movement using the feedback mechanism to match the wheels position, otherwise you need really fast/powerful motors on the rack.

Using the feedback to match the yoke to reality would mean the yoke could not be just a position sensor but a position + torque input.

Apparently the yoke wheel isn't making it into production and that should be seen as a good thing. Tesla introduced a yoke and in their implementation, the yoke is attached to the steering column and turning is just clumsy and annoying. Lexus had a more interesting take where the yoke was a steer-by-wire and you never had to turn the yoke more than 90 degrees either direction. The problem with steer-by-wire is there is no positive feedback and there is also a delay between turning the yoke and the wheels responding. Either way, just a bad idea.

Apparently the yoke wheel isn't making it into production and that should be seen as a good thing. Tesla introduced a yoke and in their implementation, the yoke is attached to the steering column and turning is just clumsy and annoying. Lexus had a more interesting take where the yoke was a steer-by-wire and you never had to turn the yoke more than 90 degrees either direction. The problem with steer-by-wire is there is no positive feedback and there is also a delay between turning the yoke and the wheels responding. Either way, just a bad idea.

Bad until they improve. Another car company might have better engineers.

I'm sure we all recall the feel of the Chrysler Hydraguide power steering.

More seriously, power steering was dismissed by many as having "no feeling". More seriously, haptic steering is more or less standard now in modern cars. Power steering might have had no feedback, but that didn't stop it being refined and improved.

I hope anyone who actually watched the video appreciates that Lexus-Toyota didn't develop steer by wire in order to fit a yoke, but to meet the challenge of people used to 100hp cars now driving cars with 300, 400hp and near instant response. The system allows a yoke to be fitted. As the video explained, car makers will have no choice but to fit steer by wire. There are now quite a few ICE road cars with 500, 600, 700hp on tap, which are catching out unwary drivers.

But... I've driven cars with 650 bhp and my last daily car had 400 bhp and I never found an issue with the current steering systems. My weekend car only has 240 bhp but it drives very nicely sideways when asked (no computer systems involved) :)

It seems to me that manufacturers chase ever bigger bhp figures for marketing purposes, most of the power being unusable on normal roads, and people without a clue are buying and driving them. There's no accounting for stupid, and all the computer control systems can't keep them out of the hedges/walls around me when they are just going too fast to get round corners.

My 17-year-old weekender is more "fun" and engaging at license retaining speeds than all the big bhp modern cars I have driven.

Last edited:
I think the options for steering wheels should be flat bottom 3 spoke sport steering wheel full leather. Optional

Rounded compact steering wheel with alcantara 9 and 3 sections with top center marking or Full leather. Standard

Round Alcantara 12 and 6 o clock steering wheel with leather. Optional

Flat bottom with alcantara 9 and 3 and perforated leather with interior/exterior matched stitching. Added curved grip at 9 and 3, center marking 3 spoke. Optional

Compact Flat bottom full perforated leather with colour stitching of choice. 3 spoke. Optional

Standard 2 spoke steering wheel flat bottom and flat top with center marking at top. Exterior matched stitching. Optional

Probably wont get that much choice. But customers should be able to customise this along with the seats and stitching. Some people may not want full leather. But Alcantara center and leather bolsters instead. Supportive bolsters and lumbar support.....Seat position memory as well. Heated/Air conditioned seats and massage seat options. Nissan had air conditioned seats in their 2009 convertible. Air scarf would be cool option. Based on the price all this should be included

Im interested to know why this car weighs a much as a model 3 Tesla 4 door. Although performance is good i wonder if brake cooling will be an issue

Taycan interior vs MG. The Taycan attempted some curvature and a single curved screen. Which looks good. Only parts of it are touch. Porsche also suffers from wheel in the way depending on how you position the seat. The Graphical interface is designed for that by having touch features beside the steering similar to the MG.

My brother bought his Taycan round. Its nicely done and the driver sits very low.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216-213816.png
    Screenshot_20240216-213816.png
    825.5 KB · Views: 51
  • b-P19_0576_a3_rgb.jpg
    b-P19_0576_a3_rgb.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 54
  • F06bTrhWYAEvuq0.jpeg
    F06bTrhWYAEvuq0.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 61
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video