MG EHS cabin heating issue: warm air turns cold after a while

mgrdink

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hello, on our MG EHS we bought a month ago (2021, second hand), we're having trouble maintaining the temperature inside the cabin. For example, right now, it's cold outside at 5°C, and we have the setting on "auto" at 21°C. The heating works well until it reaches (it seems) the right temperature, and then it starts blowing cold air, becoming uncomfortably cold. We raised the thermostat to 22°C, it warms up again, but after a while, it starts blowing cold air once more.

Is this a familiar issue for anyone here? Thank you in advance for your responses 🙏

This is normal but you have it set too low I have my one set at 26 and fan on 3

This is normal but you have it set too low I have my one set at 26 and fan on 3
Is that right?
Do you experience the same thing if you set it lower?

26 sounds like a lot, the air when I've set it at 21 was coming out at a nice temperature.

I'll give it a try though!

it is the normal and boring behavior for an athematic air conditioning system. at 21, after a while it blows a "cold/not warm" air. Same behavior with my two previous cars. The only solution is set the temperature higher.

Ironically then you put the car in EV mode and it starts the engine as the cabin is too cold :)

Hello, on our MG EHS we bought a month ago (2021, second hand), we're having trouble maintaining the temperature inside the cabin. For example, right now, it's cold outside at 5°C, and we have the setting on "auto" at 21°C. The heating works well until it reaches (it seems) the right temperature, and then it starts blowing cold air, becoming uncomfortably cold. We raised the thermostat to 22°C, it warms up again, but after a while, it starts blowing cold air once more.

Is this a familiar issue for anyone here? Thank you in advance for your responses 🙏
I had the same issue with my ZS, I don't know what anything thinks this is 'normal', good, efficient climate control should reach the temperature you set and then maintain that temperature, in my experience much like yours the MG system doesn't do this, it seemed to me that it gets to the temperature you set and then gets confused and tries to cool the car, to a lower temperature than the one you selected. For the above reasons, this is why I questioned wether or not the system could really be considered 'climate control' and not just standard Air Con. 21 / 22 should be plenty warm enough, just as it has been in every other car I've ever owned previously or subsequently.

The car starts the engine to charge the 12 volt battery if needed. I actually have mine set to 19deg. When I first bought the car it was set to 22deg and it was warm but the engine was starting up while driving along at times, because I wanted to stay in EV mode as much as possible I dropped the temp to 19deg. You could also take it off auto, then you can control it more with the fan etc.

Last edited:
As the original poster says, the MG system warms you up and then decides to freeze you for a while until the cabin temperature reaches the level to start heating again. Basically the system has too wide a range between the two 'cut off' points (too hot and too cold). Probably because it's a cheap system.

I previously had a Jaguar XF and the system in that heated to the correct temperature and then blew air at the ambient temperature level to maintain a comfortable environment. It had it set to 22deg and never had to touch it.

As the original poster says, the MG system warms you up and then decides to freeze you for a while until the cabin temperature reaches the level to start heating again. Basically the system has too wide a range between the two 'cut off' points (too hot and too cold). Probably because it's a cheap system.

I previously had a Jaguar XF and the system in that heated to the correct temperature and then blew air at the ambient temperature level to maintain a comfortable environment. It had it set to 22deg and never had to touch it.
Is that only when the hvac system is in auto mode. If its out of auto mode it might be better ?

I am considering purchasing an MG EHS but the issue of the heater not working in EV mode and instead requiring the combustion engine is putting me off.

Has anyone heard any rumors about a new version of this car in the near future without this problem? I haven't but I cannot believe the engineers at MG are not working hard to solve this.

turn off auto, keep pressing "auto" icon until it changes , just have fan constant.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom