• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG EVs Podcast Monday 15th February 2021 @ 7:30pm UTC

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG

Join MG EV owners for news and opinions plus ask your questions live.
Please reply below with any questions or suggestions for discussion topics.

Proposed topics:
  • Window tinting. Mike Proctor will join us to talk about his experience
  • Battery maximum voltage on the ZS EV after Jan’ 21 BMS update
    [Recent BMS update]
  • ZS BMS update

Last edited:
Hi Stuart,
I have been researching EVs, including watching your podcast, and my heart was telling me to buy the MG ZS but my head was telling me the range was just not enough and the lack of an app was a problem. Imagine my surprise then when a YouTube ad popped up today showing Dominic Cumberbatch promoting an MG ZS with 419km of range and a UK app! I have seen no hint of this on the MG website or on any forum. Is this something you can discuss on Monday?

YouTube ad popped up today showing Dominic Cumberbatch promoting an MG ZS with 419km of range and a UK app! I
Hi Compostpeat, that advert was for the 2021 Release update of the India model and not for the UK market, I know that sounds strange but it is marketing and nothing to do with the UK/European models.

Thanks Marcad, It seems strange that the advert is filmed in UK with English actors if it is aimed only at the Indian Market. It also begs the question, if India is getting 419km range from the MG ZS, why aren't we?

Hi Compostpeat, I think it is simply Benedict Cumberbatch is well known in India, or Pinner high Street is the height of elegance in India. There is talk about new battery tech and also the way India measures the range. Worth a mention on Monday though I agree.

EDIT: Benedict (name corrected)

Last edited:
When adding the dealers to the global map, I visited the MG sites of a lot of countries and I saw a trend (for the Chinese owners) to promote the Britishness of the brand. Dominic Cumberbatch is pretty British :)
419km of range
What range do you need?
And why is the app so important? It's a very nice to have, but given the cost of the car, it's not a deal breaker for so many owners.

Is this something you can discuss on Monday?
We discussed it in the last podcast. Or the one before, maybe? I didn't put it in the timeline, though.

If a bit more range is what you are after get a MG 5...it is cheaper as well
I will be leasing rather than purchasing and the MG5 is more expensive to lease than the MG ZS. The other car I am looking at is the Ioniq 38kw. The Ionic Premium SE and ZS Exclusive are identically priced to lease and they are more or less spec'd to my needs (although they offer different benefits. E.g. the ZS has more space and a panoramic roof while the Ioniq has a reversing camera and LED lights). The deal breaker is the range and, as I regularly visit my mother (when allowed) who lives 300 miles away, it is a 2 stop trip in the Ioniq or 3 in the ZS. Unless, of course there is a BM update, as is claimed in India, to extend the range to 418km, which would kick the Ionic into the long grass.

I will be leasing rather than purchasing and the MG5 is more expensive to lease than the MG ZS. The other car I am looking at is the Ioniq 38kw. The Ionic Premium SE and ZS Exclusive are identically priced to lease and they are more or less spec'd to my needs (although they offer different benefits. E.g. the ZS has more space and a panoramic roof while the Ioniq has a reversing camera and LED lights). The deal breaker is the range and, as I regularly visit my mother (when allowed) who lives 300 miles away, it is a 2 stop trip in the Ioniq or 3 in the ZS. Unless, of course there is a BM update, as is claimed in India, to extend the range to 418km, which would kick the Ionic into the long grass.
I have the Ioniq 28kw and it's great. I didn't swap to the 38kw because the newer model has crippled rapid charging. Basically the rapid charge rate is throttled so that you may well be waiting longer to charge on your two stops. Byorn Nyland did a test and the 28kw version was faster on longer journeys. Do a google search on it.

Also don't take the manufacturers' quoted ranges as anywhere near real world.

I have the Ioniq 28kw and it's great. I didn't swap to the 38kw because the newer model has crippled rapid charging. Basically the rapid charge rate is throttled so that you may well be waiting longer to charge on your two stops. Byorn Nyland did a test and the 28kw version was faster on longer journeys. Do a google search on it.

Also don't take the manufacturers' quoted ranges as anywhere near real world.
Thanks Stuart, Yes, I'm a big fan of Bjorn and saw the episode on charging the 38 KW Ioniq. I agree about taking manufacturers' claims with a pinch of salt. I have based my research on owners' comments, the EV Database and Zap Map route plans. I'm still working out my best option but I have been left scratching my head as to how SAIC/MG can claim the same battery pack can do almost 100 more 'claimed ' miles in India than it does in the UK.

Also the Indians use a different range measure ARAI How that stacks up against EVDatabase or the WLTP I don't know.

Part of the BMS debate for Monday. Surely MG UK should have recalled all the cars suspected of having the duff BMS rather than leaving it to individuals? Not all are using the forum of Facebook and it many cases maybe unaware and the first they'll know is when the range drops, and they contact their dealer about this, or it goes in for a service, by which time it will take many hours of balancing to bring the batteries back up to the correct voltage and certainly impact the brand's reputation.

Wiper blades: Specification required please to allow trusted brands such as Valeo & Bosch to be sourced. No info is given in the user manual but I’ve measured them at 24 & 13 inches. None of the trade reg number lookups seem to recognise the ZS EV or my reg #. Thanks

Have you got noisy wipers as well? My logic is get rid of the Chinese & go with what I’m used to 🤞
Just jumped onto the Halfords website and imputing my registration of my ZS EV brings up wipers blade sizes as 18" on the passengers side and 20" on the drivers side ???.
Not sure if this correct, that is what it throws up !.
A manual search for the ICE version, throws up the same sizes.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom