MG have 8 weeks to fix the xpower vibrations. If not i move to second gear.

powerfulx

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
After a long drive at highway speeds, my enthusiasm for a fix grew.

I am looking at a few options. Possibly parking out front of dealership , with a heap of lemons on the car and some fake paint with " dont buy a lemon" , or drive the car back into the show room and demand money back, get cops called. Film on youtubes. Keep booking it in for phantom faults, like complete engine power loss, randomly..... safety concerns. Xtremely disappointing stickers all over it. I have no time for the worst car on he highway in my life. Seriously pissed off.

Do I detect a smidgeon of frustration your end M8?

You know us Brits are good at queuing?

We are also good at waiting for
car companies to pull their fingers out of their arseholes and get a grip of the problem 99% of us are experiencing.

I've had my car 6 months now and my patience is also wearing a little thin.

I'm now in a curious "TOLD YOU SO" conversation with myself on a daily basis.

I knew on the first day I drove it, I should have took it back, parked it up, and given the keys back.

Trouble is the unreasonable part of my brain thought just that, it would be unreasonable.

The reasonable part of my brain said the tyres just need rebalancing.
Probably.

But although I truly believe that's what I should have done, I didn't.

Now here I am.

The biggest issue for me is that I really love my car and don't want to give it back.

The vibes are an annoyance for sure and I shouldn't have to put up with SAICs engineering short comings.

Still hopeful that they will get to the bottom of it, but if they don't the consumer laws here are really quite good.

I've gone past the six months period to 'easily reject' the car, but I have an email to the dealer bringing the vibes to their attention in the first two days of ownership.

Luckilly (or unluckily) 99%of owners are reporting problems, so a mass litigation in the future, if required, should not be too difficult to arrange.

I really hope it doesn't come to that but time will tell.

How do you and the rest of the 'X Vibey' posse think things are going to pan out?

Last edited:
If your XPower is vibey and you’ve not left first gear yet that might be where your problem lies. There’s not supposed to be a gearbox in an XPower 😂

Sorry, I’ll get me coat 🧥

If your XPower is vibey and you’ve not left first gear yet that might be where your problem lies. There’s not supposed to be a gearbox in an XPower 😂

Sorry, I’ll get me coat 🧥

I'm glad you've got your coat!

Sorry @Brettus, that might seem rude.
I need to be really careful what I say from now on.

I'll get my coat.

Edit : Bring us up to speed on your car m8 👍

Is this another Post Office situation. OK only joking nothing to compare, really. But MG must have been aware, of the vibration issue, must have. You telling me after 100s/1000s of hours testing that the vibration never raised it head, Come on! But still released it for sale,perhaps hoping no one would notice, but guess what, you have! And at £30,000+ for the X Power it's hardly Peanuts. And they now seem to be very reluctant to do, owt about it, or even admit it. Enough of a problem now that a few folks, are seriously thinking about doing summut about. Good luck if you do.
Stepping down of my soap box now. 😉🙂👍

Is this another Post Office situation. OK only joking nothing to compare, really. But MG must have been aware, of the vibration issue, must have. You telling me after 100s/1000s of hours testing that the vibration never raised it head, Come on! But still released it for sale,perhaps hoping no one would notice, but guess what, you have! And at £30,000+ for the X Power it's hardly Peanuts. And they now seem to be very reluctant to do, owt about it, or even admit it. Enough of a problem now that a few folks, are seriously thinking about doing summut about. Good luck if you do.
Stepping down of my soap box now. 😉🙂👍

No, don't get down m8.

My earlier posts say the same.
I'm not an engineer or test driver in any way shape or form, but I knew within 10 minutes my car wasn't 'right'.

My email from MG was just 'fluff' and I'm waiting on @seamust1000 to come back as he seems to be getting somewhere with his dealer experience.

So how bad is this vibration? We are just on the verge of buying a new X-power (existing unregistered stock so a decent £5.5k off list price). Is it bad enough to avoid buying?

So how bad is this vibration? We are just on the verge of buying a new X-power (existing unregistered stock so a decent £5.5k off list price). Is it bad enough to avoid buying?

Get yourself a cup of Tea.

Get yourself a cup of Tea.

Yeah been through that thread. Guess what I'm trying to work out is how many owners wouldn't have bought/leased their cars had they know about the vibrations.

Yeah been through that thread. Guess what I'm trying to work out is how many owners wouldn't have bought/leased their cars had they know about the vibrations.
I knew about the issue when I leased, just took a chance on it being resolved at some point or not as the case maybe! As stated previously mine was not as bad as others have described and a rebalance of all the wheels, has all but stopped it. As they say you take your chance…..

I test drove one to feel it and I only noticed it when I was feeling for it, still left my order in and didn’t regret it. It depends how much motorway you do I’d imagine. I don’t do much and if I do I don’t tend to be in that range so it doesn’t bother me as much as most. YMMV as they say.

I believe I was the first 'customer' with a car in the UK, so nobody knew about it and if I was in your shoes knowing what I know now?
No. Absolutely not.
I would want it sorted first.

I've been lucky enough to own a lot of new metal over the years and have never bought a car, driven it away from the showroom and had an 'issue" with it within the first ten minutes.

I can't state enough that the vibes are minimal, but still bloody annoying.

When you are doing motorway speeds it just keeps raising its head and saying "Hello, remember me? Still here!"

The reason I've not thrown all my toys out of my pram yet, is because I'm sure they will get to the bottom of it and give us a fix.
The X Power is such a bloody good car and on all other aspects I'm delighted with it.

Providing they fix my wayward temperature sensor next week on the first proper attempt..........

Edit: If you do go ahead, you won't be dissapointed, it's a great car.
But if you don't, perhaps you can tell the dealer why.
If folk stop buying them it might give impetuous to them sorting it out.

Last edited:
I’ve got a 12 hour demo this weekend in a LR Trophy spec car l, followed by an hours test in an x-power so will ensure I get a dual carriageway stretch in on the XP to experience it first hand.

Sounds like it could be a fundamental design issue so have to take the view it may not get fixed but will certainly keep the pressure up on the dealer if we do go ahead.

I’ve got a 12 hour demo this weekend in a LR Trophy spec car l, followed by an hours test in an x-power so will ensure I get a dual carriageway stretch in on the XP to experience it first hand.

Sounds like it could be a fundamental design issue so have to take the view it may not get fixed but will certainly keep the pressure up on the dealer if we do go ahead.
Sounds like a plan. Enjoy your test drives. I'm gonna stick my neck out now and say you'll choose the X Power, despite it's foibles. 🙂👍

No, don't get down m8.

My earlier posts say the same.
I'm not an engineer or test driver in any way shape or form, but I knew within 10 minutes my car wasn't 'right'.

My email from MG was just 'fluff' and I'm waiting on @seamust1000 to come back as he seems to be getting somewhere with his dealer experience.
Yes, my dealer emailed me but how do I know if that is a bit of fluff aswell?

I replied about the brake rotors and quoted the dealership who has seemed to has fixed the issue for Mennox.

I think the only way for MG to take notice is for all of us who have the issue to look at the Consumer Rights Act 2015, Consumer Rights Act 2015

I know the Citizens Advise Bureau are very good in helping, maybe start on all MG social media pages...Facebook/Instagram/X...start posting about the issue. Posting on MG adverts...bad PR is not good PR.

And I know we don't really want to do this but, I know most of us are on specific X Power social media pages...lots of people say that they are thinking of ordering the car etc...tell them about the hum/vibration...make it known that if they buy the car, this is what they will get, MG don't seem to be too interested. Sales will bother MG though. But the truth needs to be told.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I bought a Tahiti Blue MGF VVC back in the day(1995), lovely looking car, The MG was back, advertised everywhere, even one of the cereal companies were given them away in a lucky box!

Mine was dire, the body skuttle and vibration through the steering wheel was terrible...I remember a trip from Bristol to Swindon made my arm literally ache.

They took the car in and and gave me a silver VVC ..it was lovely, chalk and cheese...I could drive it all day but I asked if I could swap cars and the dealership wouldn't let me.

My VVC was in the dealership more than on the road, always seemed to be in the dealership when the weather was lovely and all you wanted to do was get the top down.

In the end it went back to Longbridge...they said that they couldn't find anything wrong but gave me cream leather seats and a 6 disc CD changer in the boot as sorry for my issues.

2 weeks later, the disc changer was ripping the silver coating off my CDs😳🤣...you couldn't make it up. Cream leather seats in a blue car looked great though.

So, my dealership talked me into swapping my VVC for the new face lifted MGF...much much better...drove lovely.

It was Christmas, drove the car to and from work on a lovely cold sunny morning, top down for the last day, I came home and parked up Christmas Eve.

Boxing Day, I unlocked and opened the car door to be greeted with water on the inside roof dripping all over the inside of the car, it was soaking. That was it, the car went back, I had a partial refund and never touched an MG again.

Until now...I know it's a long story but thanks for listening🤣

I knew about the issue when I leased, just took a chance on it being resolved at some point or not as the case maybe! As stated previously mine was not as bad as others have described and a rebalance of all the wheels, has all but stopped it. As they say you take your chance…..

Yep, I wouldn't have worried so much if I was leasing.
You know, regardless of the outcome you can just hand it back at the end of your term.

I am planning on keeping mine for five years maybe seven and would rather not have to put up with the 'annoyance' for the total of that time.

More than optimistic that they will sort it out.

I mean, how hard can it be?

Yep, I wouldn't have worried so much if I was leasing.
You know, regardless of the outcome you can just hand it back at the end of your term.

I am planning on keeping mine for five years maybe seven and would rather not have to put up with the 'annoyance' for the total of that time.

More than optimistic that they will sort it out.

I mean, how hard can it be?
My lease is only for 2 years, so a totally different mindset to if it was my own. Otherwise I would have been pestering a dealership to resolve, I can assure you!

......The biggest issue for me is that I really love my car and don't want to give it back.

^^^^

Same here and the reason why I don't even want the dealer to mess with it until a known fix has been found.

To be honest mine seems to have got better with mileage (now 3500 miles) and it certainly would'nt stop me buying one as the car is just a great all rounder and the vibe can be driven round (i.e. avoided) one way or another 😉😊. I was aware of the vibe when I went for a test drive before purchase. yet I still ordered one knowing about it.

It's MG and their dealers that will stop me buying another one though if anything.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom