MG have 8 weeks to fix the xpower vibrations. If not i move to second gear.

Had my XPower since September '23 and not once had a vibration at speed (obviously not going above 70!). Am I just lucky?

Had my XPower since September '23 and not once had a vibration at speed (obviously not going above 70!). Am I just lucky?
I got above 70 in about 4.5 secs yesterday 😂
Only just picked mine up so I’ll give it some beans later on and see if the vibes rear their ugly little heads…

Is the X power the plug in hybrid version? If so it explains why the Main NZ dealer, that I bought my ZS EV from is offering $3,000 NZ discount. I had originally thought that it might be due to the fact that EV's and Plug in hybrids are having to pay an extra road tax in April. The EV is around $75 (25 pounds) per 1,000 Km same as a diesel but the PHEV have to pay almost as much and they still use petrol so it is quite a blow to PHEV users. The tax is used for road maintenance, or is supposed to be. But a vibration, I presume when both motors are running seems as if they did not do enough testing before bringing this version out. The plain "Gas buggy" Mg's seem to be OK as I know several people who drive them.

Is the X power the plug in hybrid version? If so it explains why the Main NZ dealer, that I bought my ZS EV from is offering $3,000 NZ discount. I had originally thought that it might be due to the fact that EV's and Plug in hybrids are having to pay an extra road tax in April. The EV is around $75 (25 pounds) per 1,000 Km same as a diesel but the PHEV have to pay almost as much and they still use petrol so it is quite a blow to PHEV users. The tax is used for road maintenance, or is supposed to be. But a vibration, I presume when both motors are running seems as if they did not do enough testing before bringing this version out. The plain "Gas buggy" Mg's seem to be OK as I know several people who drive them.
Nope, its not a hybrid. I think the vibration is very noticeable on flat highways. But honestly, prob not an issue for most NZ drivers on NZ roads.

Yes seems the demo cars are hand picked, anyone buy a demo ?

Yup me.
197 miles on the clock.
Vibes from the get go.

I'm going to say this out loud and want to know if anyone feels the same.

Today, the vibes were to all intent and purposes, gone.

I mean, they are there, no doubt about it.

But really, quite oddly, and occasionally almost undetectable.

I reckon that's why some folk say they have none.

Perhaps those of us who have them are more sensitive to this sort of thing?

Two days ago I remarked to my wife how noticeable the vibes were.
(Still very light, but more noticeable)

I also get times where I can feel them through the seat and pedal.

Same roads, same temps, wet, dry, nor ryhme or reason.

My loaf is being done in.

Last edited:
Yup me.
197 miles on the clock.
Vibes from the get go.

Same roads, same temps, wet, dry, no ryhme or reason.

Totally agree, perhaps thats why I thought they were gone after wheel balancing. Then after a few trips out and about they were back, but not as noticeable!
As I have said before, I have always noticed vibration and road noise as soon as I drive off, just not like what you get at higher speeds.

Yup me.
197 miles on the clock.
Vibes from the get go.

Same roads, same temps, wet, dry, no ryhme or reason.

My Xpower was delivered last Friday and this morning is the only chance I’ve had to give it a good run. The vibes are not good. This is a big issue that I’m absolutely going to MG about. It’s also the sound. It’s like the car is in 6th gear at 60mph and trying to drag its arse along but it’s the vibrations making the noise. It pains me to say it but if this issue only sits with the Xpower model, I might need to chop it in for a long range 😭😭

My Xpower was delivered last Friday and this morning is the only chance I’ve had to give it a good run. The vibes are not good. This is a big issue that I’m absolutely going to MG about. It’s also the sound. It’s like the car is in 6th gear at 60mph and trying to drag its arse along but it’s the vibrations making the noise. It pains me to say it but if this issue only sits with the Xpower model, I might need to chop it in for a long range 😭😭
Such a multitude of responses re the vibes m8.
Your not the only one who have it bad.

One chap likened them to driving over a cattle grid!

It will be interesting to see if your dealer knows anything about it or acts dumb!

Keep us informed m8👍

Such a multitude of responses re the vibes m8.
Your not the only one who have it bad.

One chap likened them to driving over a cattle grid!

It will be interesting to see if your dealer knows anything about it or acts dumb!

Keep us informed m8👍
Will do. Did you say that changing your tyres removed the vibes issue?
Problem I have is mine is through a company car scheme so my rights may not be the same as buying direct from the dealer.

Problem I have is mine is through a company car scheme so my rights may not be the same as buying direct from the dealer.
Your probably right, can't see a company car scheme authorizing a complete tyre change. Then again can't see a dealer doing that either. Looks like as with most X Power owner's you'll have to live with it
(If you can) until hopefully a definite fix is found. 🙄

Your probably right, can't see a company car scheme authorizing a complete tyre change. Then again can't see a dealer doing that either. Looks like as with most X Power owner's you'll have to live with it
(If you can) until hopefully a definite fix is found. 🙄
I have emailed Tusker who provided the car to see what my options are. Cannot see how MG have a leg to stand on with so many people complaining about it

I got above 70 in about 4.5 secs yesterday 😂
Only just picked mine up so I’ll give it some beans later on and see if the vibes rear their ugly little heads…
This will be when mine arrives in a couple of weeks 🤣

I have emailed Tusker who provided the car to see what my options are. Cannot see how MG have a leg to stand on with so many people complaining about it
I'm also with tusker so will be interested in what they say

Have a read here m8

Hello,
Some news from France regarding the vibes. (sorry for my English)
  • Following a note from MG Europe dated '16 january 2024' , dealerships are currently installing the famous steering wheel dampers
  • The vehicles concerned are only those manufactured before 15 october 2023.
  • This confirms what I had already written here. A lot of new buyers (not all...) in France do not have vibrations issues..
    I was able to verify this myself on a friend's Xpower which had neither vibrations nor rumbling...
  • Unfortunately for owners of Xpower manufactured before 15/10/2023 (including me), the installation of the steering wheel damper does not solve the problem.
    In addition, the MG Europe note specifies that the damper is there to attenuate the vibration and not eliminate it!
  • In short, something important happened in the modification of X-power vehicles on 15 october 2023.

Attachments

• MG.jpg
    MG.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone (with the vibration issues) got their front drive axles checked? Maybe there is like a bad batch of drive axles (with some play in the homokinetic couplings or something).

I previously worked in an engineering firm , and had to refurbish a prop shaft from a large tipper truck. This weighed around 70 kg and had a small 10 gram metal balancing piece tack welded to it. Not knowing any better I ground this off, and got a right bollocking. The boss said he would have to pay for it to be re-balanced. If this is so important on a waggon then surely the same principle applies to driveshafts on cars, you would expect the machining process to naturally balance it out, but it would only need a slight deviation to set up a resonance vibration . This would happen at certain revolutions which may differ for individual shafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom