MG HS Charging

Soton

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I have had my PHEV for about 18 months and charge it with a Grannie charger - not the MG one as it is far too short. It has always charged to 32 miles but the last couple of times it has only charged the 31 miles and says 100% complete. Should I be concerned.

Like to ask do you recharge from empty or near empt? or like I have been doing top up at the end of the day.
I have had that a couple of times but I have now changed the way I charge which may help, I now run for two days which get me to and from work and run around at the weekends then recharge. You may find doing this may help balance the battery and get back to full 32 miles.

Last edited:
A couple of people in other posts have had this, including me. At about 9 months old my PHEV started showing 31 miles at 100% battery and has continued to do so since.

Most nights it is scheduled to charge for 4 hours from a home wall box. Sometimes it is empty and sometimes only needs 50% charge or so. Either way, it should reach full charge in less than the 4 hours which should enable battery balancing time at a low charge rate after the main charge (at least that's how I understand battery balancing, but it's not explained well in any handbook). Anyway, it's never returned to showing 32 miles. At times, I have got well into the mid 30s in real life range and so it appears to be performing much the same as when new. I was worried about battery degradation after such a short time of ownership.

A couple of people in other posts have had this, including me. At about 9 months old my PHEV started showing 31 miles at 100% battery and has continued to do so since.

Most nights it is scheduled to charge for 4 hours from a home wall box. Sometimes it is empty and sometimes only needs 50% charge or so. Either way, it should reach full charge in less than the 4 hours which should enable battery balancing time at a low charge rate after the main charge (at least that's how I understand battery balancing, but it's not explained well in any handbook). Anyway, it's never returned to showing 32 miles. At times, I have got well into the mid 30s in real life range and so it appears to be performing much the same as when new. I was worried about battery degradation after such a short time of ownership.
I owned a VW Golf PHEV ( from new ) for about four years before going full BEV in 2019.
When new, it would display 30 miles when fully charged, after about 12 - 18 months it dropped from 30 to 29 miles after a full charge.
This was similar situation with other owners.
Depending on the outside temperature, it would display a higher or lower figure after a full charge of course, but as the car aged so did the predicted range after a full charge.
At four years old and about 30,000 miles, it would only ever predict a range of 27 miles.
Is this down to some battery degradation?.
I strongly suspect so.
A little less important on a PHEV because you have the back up of an engine of course.
I witnessed a similar situation occurring on our Gen1 ZS EV after two years and 20,000 miles of use.
We now have a long range ZS EV facelift.
Important to build in some degradation losses into your choice of EV at the time of purchase, I have now learnt.

I have had my PHEV for about 18 months and charge it with a Grannie charger - not the MG one as it is far too short. It has always charged to 32 miles but the last couple of times it has only charged the 31 miles and says 100% complete. Should I be concerned.
Mine’s the same, when I tackled the dealer about it I basically got told it’s only 1 mile nothing to worry about. ( I sort of thought that was going to be the answer)

Mine too, It could be the difference between 31.99999 and 32.00001 so I don't fret about it. Also, it's a rough guide to be honest, mine often actually does nearer 35 because of the regen.

I have had mine a little shorter than you and mine is the same , used to be 63km but now only 62km and says100% charged . I only use granny charger also . I am not concerned at this stage , will see how it goes over the next year or so.

I have had mine a little shorter than you and mine is the same , used to be 63km but now only 62km and says100% charged . I only use granny charger also . I am not concerned at this stage , will see how it goes over the next year or so.
Interesting.........did you have the vehicle from new? Here in Thailand - also on the more progressive metric system - we start at 67 km range, after over 20 months it dropped to 66 km, but occasionally still shows 67. Always used the MG wall charger at 3.7 KW, mostly every day from around 40 to 100% charged.

I’ve had my HS PHEV just 4 months it is just charging upto 31 miles instead of the 32 miles , need to keep an eye on this , as didn’t expect any change so soon into live of the vehicle .

As part of the 7 year warranty MG will replace the battery if it loses more than 20% capacity in that time frame.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom