MG HS PHEV Charging Issues

Astrotom

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I've tried to find something on this elsewhere in the forum, but without success.

I got a new MG HS PHEV back in March and it has been running with almost (the exception being gear change lag in EV mode at around 50 mph) no issues.

Yesterday it went to the dealers for it 6 weeks check and since then have had serious issues with charging (well not charging).

When I got home, I plugged it in to the wall charger and left it for a few hours. When I came back to, the battery was only about 80% charged.

I've since failed to get the car charging with the wall charger/cable combo. Everything shows as connected, status lights correct - just no charge being drawn. The estimated time remaining shows '17h 00m'. I've even driven to a public charge point to see if that worked, with no success.

I tried the granny charger briefly and that appeared to work. However, it only does so for five minutes or so at a time, and then stops drawing any charge..

Any ideas? I realise I'll likely have to phone the dealer on Monday, but would like to avoid handing over the car for an extended period!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3592.jpg
    IMG_3592.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 373
If the granny charger is stopping then they have done something is what I am thinking, Have they done a software up date but use the wrong software as the new ZS charge to 80% unless you tell it to charge to 100%.
Run the car on EV to get it down and then recharger on the granny to see if it goes to 100%.
you have a good dealer as I was not asked to go back at 6weeks

Just thinking on the EV if the car would not start they would disconnect the 12v battery then after 30 sec reconnect the battery, this could reset the car, do not forget the HV battery charges the 12v battery,

Please follow up after a visit to the dealership if you are able to go to day do not take will book it in next week from them I want it sorted today.

So, just as a follow up, the dealers couldn't work out what was going on - it seems as though the vehicle is telling the charger that the battery is full.
Interestingly, it does charge using the engine. It's booked back in early next week for a more detailed look at.

Morning,

So, an update of sorts.

The car went back to the dealers on Monday for the day, so they could fault find. As of this morning, it is still with them with no news of what is wrong. Apparently they are waiting for advice from MG in China?

@Kev555 No, not currently. We are having them installed next month though, along with a battery. It will be interesting to see how much charge can come from solar alone!

What's the charging issues?
Essentially, it won't charge via cable, it's as if the vehicle is telling the charger that the battery is full.

A few other points though:

• Battery charges off engine with no problems at all – up to ~75% on the high battery setting.
  • Both regen and generator appear to be charging the battery.
  • When plugging in cables after battery has been partially charged from the engine, the same issues occur, however, time remain is usually much lower than 17h 00m (or ~6h for the 3-pin charger).
  • No error messages have been seen on the vehicle or the chargers.

Morning,

So, an update of sorts.

The car went back to the dealers on Monday for the day, so they could fault find. As of this morning, it is still with them with no news of what is wrong. Apparently they are waiting for advice from MG in China?

@Kev555 No, not currently. We are having them installed next month though, along with a battery. It will be interesting to see how much charge can come from solar alone!
Charging by Solar alone can be problematic for the vehicles as on a cloudy day the constant on off can play havoc with your EV. I have a Hypervolt charger and the techs for Hypervolt recommended I dont charge on solar only which is super eco mode on my charger. They recommend i use Eco mode which uses spare solar power produced backed up by the mains but charges at a lower KW rate to make the most of solar and no fluctuations in the power going to the vehicle. The fact you are installing a battery pack should make charging more efficient. It will take a bit of time to smooth out the charging routine as you might find its better to have a low rate night tariff for charging the vehicle and use your battery to compliment the house appliances in the evenings at the higher KW rate

Last edited:
I had this today and all I did was unplug and then plug again in still did it so with it still plugged in press the start then after it started ( two presses no foot on the brake ) unplugged the car and then shut down. Plugged in the charger again and it started and charged. Have you had it seen to yet.

Essentially, it won't charge via cable, it's as if the vehicle is telling the charger that the battery is full.

A few other points though:

• Battery charges off engine with no problems at all – up to ~75% on the high battery setting.
  • Both regen and generator appear to be charging the battery.
  • When plugging in cables after battery has been partially charged from the engine, the same issues occur, however, time remain is usually much lower than 17h 00m (or ~6h for the 3-pin charger).
  • No error messages have been seen on the vehicle or the chargers.
That would seem logical enough that the issue is with the onboard charger Astrotom with the symptoms you've quoted. Petrol is expensive enough without using it to recharge the batteries too LOL. Hopefully your parts arrive soon. Thats one issue I slipped up on when purchasing this car, not finding out it only charges at 3.5 kw rate, takes far too long at street chargers. A Tesla charges to full quicker :ROFLMAO:

If the granny charger is stopping then they have done something is what I am thinking, Have they done a software up date but use the wrong software as the new ZS charge to 80% unless you tell it to charge to 100%.
Run the car on EV to get it down and then recharger on the granny to see if it goes to 100%.
you have a good dealer as I was not asked to go back at 6weeks
Had mine first week of April no problems with granny charger on a timer overnight but pulsar plus wall charger a nightmare. Some nights starts then stops after 5 mins sometimes doesn’t even charge then on another night charges to full.

If you can set your charger amperage through an app? set it to 15amp which is adequate for an MG since they only take 3.5 KW from memory. I had issues with my Hypervolt on a couple of occasions and once I set the amps from 30 to 15 its run faultless. Most chargers come factory set at 30 or higher depending on what cars you have. There could also be issues with your electrical supply to house with demand at night etc

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom