MG HS PHEV mpg/range with battery depleted / Engine only

jwpalfrey

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi All,

I'm seriously considering a MG HS PHEV but the engine efficiency concerns me and PHEV WLTP/EPA are all so skewed as the undertake the test with a fully charged battery, longer on EV mode the higher the mpg (less fuel burnt) so it's worse than the dieselgate days. Anyway can anyone who's got/had one give me an idea of the real consumption when the battery is depleted? Mixed usage would be good.

I'm contemplating asking to test one for 24hrs as I'm certain the EV range will be fine for most trips but I want to work out rough costs when running on petrol engine alone as this is massively variable and widely published.

I've had petrol/diesel for years and know how to get the best or worst out of them. But coming from a diesel at 60mpg a PHEV has to do a lot of EV miles to counter poor mpg when on petrol alone and need to roughly work out consumption on engine alone in order to do the maths.

Anyway any info much appreciated, as I say I may try and borrow a MGHS phev from a dealer and run it without charging it as that'll be a really simple indicator for what I want to find out.

Over the year I've had mine, I've made many long (450 mile) trips from SE England to Scotland, mostly with battery on minimum charge, certainly on the return trip. I don't spare the horses on the motorways, and tend to cruise at around 77 mph. In short, expect to average 40 mpg. Also be aware that the petrol tank capacity is only about 32 litres (7 imp. gallons), so at least one stop for petrol. Still, a lovely comfortable car for such journeys, so give it a try.

I can confirm that after a 600 km journey (mostly motorways , with maybe 20% A roads) I returned about 42 MPG. For the last 12 months I have averaged 82 MPG. Pretty good for a heavy, not so good aerodynamically shaped SUV. Lovely comfortable car for long journeys.

Last edited by a moderator:
As John said around 40 if you drive around the speed limit if you up the pace a bit 80mph plus it takes a bit of a dive to around 36mph. As John also said it's a comfortable car on the motorway and in my mind with the poor mpg.

Hi All,

I'm seriously considering a MG HS PHEV but the engine efficiency concerns me and PHEV WLTP/EPA are all so skewed as the undertake the test with a fully charged battery, longer on EV mode the higher the mpg (less fuel burnt) so it's worse than the dieselgate days. Anyway can anyone who's got/had one give me an idea of the real consumption when the battery is depleted? Mixed usage would be good.

I'm contemplating asking to test one for 24hrs as I'm certain the EV range will be fine for most trips but I want to work out rough costs when running on petrol engine alone as this is massively variable and widely published.

I've had petrol/diesel for years and know how to get the best or worst out of them. But coming from a diesel at 60mpg a PHEV has to do a lot of EV miles to counter poor mpg when on petrol alone and need to roughly work out consumption on engine alone in order to do the maths.

Anyway any info much appreciated, as I say I may try and borrow a MGHS phev from a dealer and run it without charging it as that'll be a really simple indicator for what I want to find out.
I have one that is 5 months old done 3,300 miles and is in showroom condition I paid £33,500 cash for it, all the Tweaks done such as uv tinted front glass mud flaps and side steps, body & wheel protection done too £29,000 if your interested?

Agree 40MPG on a run without driving gently. The car never totally run out of charge, there will always be some in reserve. Even though the EV mileage might say 0 mile/0% and it won’t allow you into full EV but in Auto it will still switch to EV automatically when below 25mph so there is still some electric power in reserve.

The car is often marketed as 1.7l/100kms - which is true for the first 100km because you are running on battery for the first 63km .

After that I get around 7l/100km on petrol alone . Which isn’t bad at all , considering that’s what my Golf Mk6 did !

As update to my previous comments on this, I just completed a 450 mile drive in UK, mostly A1M and M74 motorway with A66 dual/single carriageway, a few traffic jams, 2 passengers with luggage, zero battery for nearly all of the way. Result: 36 mpg (7.8 L/100km). Overall consumption average over 12,000 miles including several long trips = 40.1 mpg. Not great, but I can live with it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom