MG iSMART issues

grayoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Had my Trophy a week now, generally no problem, apart from the TMPS issue today, now cleared.

This afternoon, for some reason the app will not connect to my car.
It states " The status checking is failed, please try again later."
Checked my iPhones bluetooth and sure enough, no longer connects " connection unsuccessful"
Sat in the car, managed to connect, iSMART still failing to scan?

Any ideas?

I'm not certain how iSmart works but suspect it connects via a dataservice and not direct to the car, if it was via bluetooth then the range would be no more than 30m outdoors.. If the dataservice is busy or down for any reason, iSmart cannot connect. I've had this a few times but it always connects after you leave it for a while.

Had this same problem this morning. Went out in my car and it started working. Something must have been sleeping

Yep, kicked back in - out for two hours though. Could be potentially very frustrating, when really needed i.e setting things remotely.
Strange though, that the bluetooth was not being picked up by my phone, must be a remote dataservice.

I have had the issue this morning for preheating the car.
I tried multiple times in the app and it failed to connect every time.
Once I unlocked the car and relocked it again it connected first time and is now preheating.
Looks like something on the car has gone to sleep instead of being available.
Car was parked up at work for 12 hours between locking and unlocking.

I have had the issue this morning for preheating the car.
I tried multiple times in the app and it failed to connect every time.
Once I unlocked the car and relocked it again it connected first time and is now preheating.
Looks like something on the car has gone to sleep instead of being available.
Car was parked up at work for 12 hours between locking and unlocking.
Same for me this morning, charged over night. Tried pre-heat car - failed.
Didn't try unlock and relock though. Isn't this just an issue, when the charger plug is attached?

Same for me this morning, charged over night. Tried pre-heat car - failed.
Didn't try unlock and relock though. Isn't this just an issue, when the charger plug is attached?
I assumed that the issues were timed charger based as I actually had no issue preheating mine other day even after a charge and the plug still plugged in, though I wasn't on a timed charge.
But I did open the car through the night while it was charging for a work mate to take a look at it.
Im guessing now it could be just something going to sleep on the car so maybe it doesn't matter whether the car is timed charging or not.
Just the fact that the car hasn't been woken for a longer time.

Interesting. On the assumption that the architecture is the same as other remote/smart car systems then
The car communication is to server with vin identity
The app goes active when you scan the QR code which may contain the vin identity and connects to the server.

The handshake is vin to vin potentially. It would appear the app end remains active and maintains the link, or is activated when you open the app. If the car to server is not "chattering' then this link may timeout. Any physical activity on the car reactivates the link bringing communication back to life.

The only thing missing is confirmation that this works when on a schedule. If not we may have two issues. Timeout and not overriding the schedule?

Interesting stuff.

Alan

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to overnight charging, charge end at maybe 5:30, you try and get the car to warm up(defrost) and it fails?
Obviously the cable is still in because you charged it through the night.
Tried it just now on a dumb charger at work, charging stopped - still plugged in - tried i-smart to pre-heat and it says failed?

Is it a bug? that when you've charged through the night, you cannot pre-heat with plug in?

Did you try unlocking/locking the car using the remote fob before trying to start the pre-heat??

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to overnight charging, charge end at maybe 5:30, you try and get the car to warm up(defrost) and it fails?
Obviously the cable is still in because you charged it through the night.
Tried it just now on a dumb charger at work, charging stopped - still plugged in - tried i-smart to pre-heat and it says failed?

Is it a bug? that when you've charged through the night, you cannot pre-heat with plug in?
I think this is a bug. There is no way I can find to preheat when plugged in on my Trophy. If I unplug the car, switch it on and off and then lock it again then I can preheat but it means I have to go outside in my slippers. 😤

Hopefully will be fixed with next software update though no eta for that yet. I have reported via my dealer.

I assume there is no communication with the car full stop ?

If so it would appear the TCU has gone to sleep and is not communicating.

Alan

That's why I asked about remote unlock/lock - that should wake up the car. :)
Agreed, I just wanted to confirm you can't even see car status etal to absolutely nail it. The TCU should ping the server or vica versa at regular intervals to keep awake. Apparently its not if all comms are dead.

Crawfyp, does your car have the latest software updates?

Alan

With my Hypervolt, if I put it onto a trickle charge, I can start the preheating and control it all. When I’ve done that, I turn the charge off/back to scheduled charging and it’s still preheating, although I can’t change the functions.

I could also just turn it off scheduled charge and have it to plug and charge, but obviously this will use more power.

Johnny, it would appear your trickle charge is keeping the car "awake". It seems to be timing out if there is no activity for an undetermined period and needs to be physically woken at the vehicle end.

All theory but sounds logical 🤔

Alan

I've just tried on my Trophy and it worked ok. I did a scheduled charge last night that finished at 6am. The schedule was set on the car before plugging in. I've just tried turning AC on with the app while the charge cable is still plugged in and the AC started. I went to check on the car and it was running. I then switched it off again with the app and it turned off.
I've got a basic podpoint charger that is too far from my house for its wifi to work, so it's always 'ready'. I do find that I have to run the vehicle status on my app before it seems to connect properly.

Edit: I just looked out and saw that the car had started charging again after I had turned the AC off. I didn't expect that!

Last edited:
Agreed, I just wanted to confirm you can't even see car status etal to absolutely nail it. The TCU should ping the server or vica versa at regular intervals to keep awake. Apparently its not if all comms are dead.

Crawfyp, does your car have the latest software updates?

Alan
Yes, latest available updates

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums