MG Pilot (no puns about "airplane - the movie")!

steveciavucco

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
In preparation for picking up my MG5 next month, I'm now reading and watching videos about the "Pilot".
Some videos say that some of the systems can be dangerous while other facilities are great.
What's the general feeling? Use all or some or switch it off?
Looking forward to reading your experiences.
Steve

I only use the ACC, and only then on motorway, and turn everything else off (lane keep assist etc). ACC works great on motorway journeys and makes for a relaxing drive. The only annoying thing is when other drivers 'cut in' too quickly meaning the car's system backs you off. You can of course override, or set the system to a shorter distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
In preparation for picking up my MG5 next month, I'm now reading and watching videos about the "Pilot".
Some videos say that some of the systems can be dangerous while other facilities are great.
Steve
I have mine all switched on - under 37mph only the Adaptive Cruise Control works (useful for sticking to speed limits) and above the Lane Keep Assist kicks in yoo. I like it. The ACC does take a slight modification to my driving, when approaching a slower vehicle and moving to an outer lane on motorway, need to do so earlier than used to or car starts to slow.

Like anything though, these are all assists - you've still got to be ready to react to unexpected situations.

Dangerous is over-stating IMO it but it's the unexpected which gets me. The worst is probably the adaptive part of the cruise control (which I don't think you can turn off on it's own). Examples - when driving around urban (30mph) on cruise control (which I have always done to make sure I don't speed) either it will brake very harshly because it thinks a parked (or turning) car is a hazard, and also the it sometimes slows you massively sometimes into roundabouts then accelerates quickly out - which can be fun but if it catches you unawares a bit hairy.

I tried the speed limiter but it has to be set on each drive, and when you corner or go round a roundabout it drops out until it sees another sign.

Any of those you can get used to - I have got used to the AC so still mostly use it but use my own feet to control the speed when I think it might play up.

I like ACC on the motorway but sometimes find myself gradually and inadvertently losing speed when approaching a slower car so you need to either maintain your speed yourself or pull out earlier. I quite like the lane assist on motorways but the "steering wheel feedback" took some getting used to.

Dangerous is over-stating IMO it but it's the unexpected which gets me. The worst is probably the adaptive part of the cruise control (which I don't think you can turn off on it's own). Examples - when driving around urban (30mph) on cruise control (which I have always done to make sure I don't speed) either it will brake very harshly because it thinks a parked (or turning) car is a hazard, and also the it sometimes slows you massively sometimes into roundabouts then accelerates quickly out - which can be fun but if it catches you unawares a bit hairy.

I tried the speed limiter but it has to be set on each drive, and when you corner or go round a roundabout it drops out until it sees another sign.

Any of those you can get used to - I have got used to the AC so still mostly use it but use my own feet to control the speed when I think it might play up.

I like ACC on the motorway but sometimes find myself gradually and inadvertently losing speed when approaching a slower car so you need to either maintain your speed yourself or pull out earlier. I quite like the lane assist on motorways but the "steering wheel feedback" took some getting used to.
I've noticed the braking once or twice - a quick dab on the accelerator resolves - it's not perfect but seems pretty infrequent and limited to busy, slow speed roads.

At roundabouts and tighter corners, I tend to brake or use the stake to disable and let the car regen, and then re-engage afterwards so not noticed the acceleration.

Most my driving is slow speed roads (unfortunately). As I said though, you can control it once you understand how it might behave. Some would find it easier to leave it all off I expect.

If you chose manual instead of intelligent for the speed limiter, you can change the speed it's set to yourself using the ACC stalk. That's what I use around here since 90% of the roads in town (Musselburgh and Edinburgh) are 20mph which the MG5 doesn't see. Works fine for me.
I only really use ACC on the motorway as in town you need to stop fully more (traffic lights and such) so it's always being flicked on and off.

Just one thing to realize with lane keep assist is it switches off below 60 km/hr. It does give a bong when doing so but there are so many bongs you tend not to hear them and the visual cue is well out of your line of sight. I would like lane keep assist to work above 15 km/hr.

Just one thing to realize with lane keep assist is it switches off below 60 km/hr. It does give a bong when doing so but there are so many bongs you tend not to hear them and the visual cue is well out of your line of sight. I would like lane keep assist to work above 15 km/hr.
You’ll find multiple references to 37mph listed through out the forms with regards to LKA switching off - but yeah, 60 km/hr is the metric equivalent 👍

Can't add anything regarding the gadgets with the pilot system as I have the SR so only have standard cruise control. I can however contribute the following.

Surely you can't be serious.

I am serious and stop calling ,e Shirley.

OR

We have to get these people to a hospital.

A hospital. What is it.

It's a large building with patients but that's not important right now.

pilot airplane GIF

Steve
We done a video with the first Gen model (all we have in Australia) which might help.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom