MG Pilot

Yes, it can be turned off. Its bloody dangerous and Im not exaggerating. The day it came on for me as described above, it was totally at the wrong time and could have caused a rear end collision if a car had have been close behind me.

Yes, it can be turned off. Its bloody dangerous and Im not exaggerating. The day it came on for me as described above, it was totally at the wrong time and could have caused a rear end collision if a car had have been close behind me.
If a car is so close behind you that is does not have enough space to stop, it would still be the vehicle behind you at fault for going into you. Though it was a false trigger in your case, the car still had good intentions to try and prevent an accident. The sensitivity of the system can be adjusted.

After several months using the mg pilot and its "foibles", I had the chance to drive a 2020 Audi A6 with lane assistant. In comparison, the MG pilot is positively crude, i only hope it gets better with time. On the motorway it is useable but on country roads, there is a lot of potential for improvement.

It starts to brake when there is no danger,
Slowing down starts much later than I would like even with the longest distance setting seems last-minute and abrupt.
Steering is jerky.
The speed sign recognition doesn't recognize when the limit is not general, e.g. time restricted or only HGV. The Audi even worked out in France, wet or dry road speed limits according to the conditions.
That said, I was still happy to use the MG pilot on a simple motorway journey from England through France, made driving a lot more relaxed. Let's just hope it gets better.

If a car is so close behind you that is does not have enough space to stop, it would still be the vehicle behind you at fault for going into you. Though it was a false trigger in your case, the car still had good intentions to try and prevent an accident. The sensitivity of the system can be adjusted.
I wouldn't trust it. If what happened to me happened to you, I suggest you would feel the same. Especially if someone rear ended you as a result. In my case, the cars systems totally over reacted to the situation.

After several months using the mg pilot and its "foibles", I had the chance to drive a 2020 Audi A6 with lane assistant. In comparison, the MG pilot is positively crude, i only hope it gets better with time. On the motorway it is useable but on country roads, there is a lot of potential for improvement.

Slowing down starts much later than I would like even with the longest distance setting seems last-minute and abrupt.
Steering is jerky.
The speed sign recognition doesn't recognize when the limit is not general, e.g. time restricted or only HGV. The Audi even worked out in France, wet or dry road speed limits according to the conditions.
That said, I was still happy to use the MG pilot on a simple motorway journey from England through France, made driving a lot more relaxed. Let's just hope it gets better.
Audi A6 ACC being compared to MG HS Phev. Apple and oranges.
I’ve had the HS for 20k miles and sure it is crude but you get what you pay for.

That is true to be fair. Maybe we are expecting too much. The MG offering is exceptional at the price, and it will get better. This is essentially MGs first crack at this sort of tech, and it's a decent attempt at the price point. Maybe a big compliment for the manufacturer in a lot of ways, that we are even discussing such features

True, it's a shame that the price is always such an issue. I really like my MG and believe that SAIC are planning to go upmarket like Hyundai.
I can happily expect cheaper finishing, less luxury,no heat pump, poor interior lighting, wind noise.... but safety and reliability should not be affected by price; sometimes the ACC is dangerous, as already discussed. Who would be liable if the car suddenly performs an emergency brake with no apparent cause and someone runs into me. I can be responsible for its wayward steering or braking too late, but a sudden stop?

I would say the burden of proof would be on you to prove your emergency brake activated. I suppose it may be traceable via the software, but I wouldn't expect MG to be rushing to assist.
I'm not prepared to take the risk. Ive driven for 40 years without it, and Im not going to risk an accident with a piece of tech in a car that I have no control of when activated. There are loads of examples of driver assistance out there that look good on paper, but in reality make things worse. Auto full beam is another. I have had it in three cars now including a BMW and Audi, and I have yet to see it working flawlessly.

Steering is jerky.

Crude maybe, but also £25K cheaper. :)

I'm a lazy driver and usually I'm on cruise control even in built-up areas. On the odd occasion the car performs an emergency brake, when a car is parked on top of a bend, or someone suddenly decides to brake and make a turn it engages. I can live with that. For me it is about finding the balance between being in full control and my comfort and driving style. Then again, I tend to stick to the speed limit so it does not happen a lot.
Sometimes, I get a notification on my dash that the radar is not working, auto beam is disabled etc. It is usually caused my mud on my sensors. A simple wipe off solves the issue.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom