MG ZS 2022 refuse to charge

niko83dk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Yesterday i solar charge my car from 10AM to 5PM.

This morning , i decide to use my scooter to go to work and put the charge on. I spend 45 minutes testing 2 granny charger, with and without solar inverter.

The Error was "Charge STOP / abnormal electrical issue"

My dealer erase all default code ( like thousand of them ) and the car had accept the charge again.

He refuse to give me any explanation , nor the default report ....

Work until the next time.

The next time is today, after a charge up to 60% only sucessfully.

I put the charger on this morning, it start and after minutes i heard a clicking noise , and the bug is present again.

My default clear bluetooth OBD is not available right now , is there a chance to remove the 12 V battery to get clear DTC ?

Attachments

• IMG_20230504_082825.jpg
    IMG_20230504_082825.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 87
Hi Niko

Sometimes if I dont make sure that the plug is pushed really well into the car socket I get the clicking noise and it doesnt connect, I have to unlock, give it a push and shoogle (apologies for the deep technical terms) and re-lock car (it then clicks into place). You dont have to remove the battery, just disconnect the negative terminal with a 10mm spanner.

Disconnecting ( not removing) the 12V battery did not help with this mess.

The plug is fully entered on the car , there is 2 clicking noise then the real lock ( i can pull and it is locked ) after a second the car eject the plug , then double click noise.

Tested with 2 different charger, one with 32A , other with 10A same issu.

On the phone , the guy say he will take the car for few days in 3 weeks ( so fun ! ) and there may be some dedicated patch that "may fix" something.

Patch they "might" not have installed three month ago...

A brand new OBD DTC KILLER is on the way , will clean DTC tonight and check again.

I successfully start a 32A charge just after playing with my V2L cable without knowing why ( witch seems not to work now with this issue )

After half an hour i try again and it failed miserably , even try to put it on my solar inverter and force 220 /230/240 V .

I hope it is not linked to earth / ground quality testing or something at least one of my charger show a red light when it is the case.

What a shame !

Last edited:
Do you have a powerline adaptor installed for internet wireless? This can cause problems with car charging. If you have then turn it off and try again?

No CPL at home , only massive WIFI in everything at home ( including power surge module )

I will try to cut the entire home (including the global inverter ) except the upstream power and put the granny toy on it.

It immediatly worked !!! the charger was on 24A , i will let it charge until 80-90% before trying again and isolate the real source of the problem

Not sure if it come from the 1 hour Idle time , the chance, the absence of "ground leak" , the absence of Wifi / bluetooth or any other brain cancer sources.

I could not wait for the end to investigate.

I found 3,3V between neutral and ground before my solar inverter when up and 2.6 when down.

After scratching the ground pole and tignten it , tension drop to 0,4V , good point

There were a lot of corrosion and the buckle was moving around the pole.

But ....

The car still refuse to charge with granny or 32 A charger.

I hope it is a " i need to forget the error" before

I will try at my neighbour house to be sure. ( with the granny only )

on the later list : buy a new pole and hit hard.

New ground pole in place.

I still expérience start charging issue.

Also. Double check with a friend charger at his home , start charging sucess 4 time in a row then the bug appear. And stay...

Shitty car .

After 5 "upgrade " session the problem is still occuring...

Not totally sure but, It seems to me when I plug the car immediatly when i came back home, the charge is a success.
When the car stay a night and i try to charge it few hours later or a night , it failed to start the charge.

MG dealer have absolutly no idea how they will deal with this.

They say they will empty and charge my car many time ... ( sounds crazy ! )

I ask them to open a ticket to MG to get more information ( how to collect information from the car )

Still experiencing the bug.

I also check with a neighbour who have exactly the same car ( in black )
And 2 different charger, his car is charging not mine.

on theses vidéo you can see what is happening.

BUG 1
BUG 2
And the cherry on the cake , clicking on lock vehicule with the remote on an already locked car cause it to trigger the alarm, neigbour will hate me.
( it is not systematic )

ALARM

Sounds like you have something running that might be interfering- you said you cut everything but upstream and it worked. Can you try turning off one device at a time (maybe starting with your wifi power surge module) and seeing which if any trigger the fault (or turn everything off and try one thing at a time)

Others cars are charging at my neigbour place with his charger ,300m from my place, but not mine.

Others cars can charge at my place with my equipment too.

It was a false positive , few days ago I also CUT on the main pannel everything except the granny alone in a plug ( it is a "emergency" socket ) and it fails too.

We can note my car front bumper has been remove two time for paint job.

After that I experience 2 time the charging hatch to get stuck and the charger to get stuck .

I return to my dealer for tests and update and did not have the problem after , then the charge problem happen few weeks after that.

I suggest you take the car back to the dealer and say it is "Not fit for purpose" and claim a refund.
However, your unusual charging regimes may well be causing problems. For instance, what is the ac waveform like? If there are spikes and/or unusual waveforms that could have damaged or disrupted the on board charger. You really need to try to ensure that the supply you are using to charge has a low impedance.

It is a possibility , for example , when i use my microwave and the house is running on solar inverter, the buzz of the microwave is totally different than when sun is down and the inverter has flipped to network.
It may have damaged the component.

Another place ( dealers) same issue...

Seems the mecanical Lock did not really properly lock the Gun

I am able to pull the plug without any force after locking. ( forcing the vehicule to lock with the remote )
like if something just catch a little bit ( like a hook half way down only )

it explain why i was able to interrupt and resume the charge with the APP , the gun remain locked.

They will probably order a new plug box.

So my new routine is :
-vibrate the gun while locking the vehicule to help a bit
-check i cannot remove the gun easily ( witch prove the lock is tottally engage )
- switch the power ON on charger side

It' s a mess .

Theses cars are toys, note with a Tesla , if the lock is not engaged , you get a clear error feedback on main console and not a "generic one"

Crazy thing When I lock the car ( and the gun is trying to lock) the emergency bukle go backward ( like if someone is pulling it !) it should be the opposite right ? because pulling it cause the open of the lock.

for instance , I just succesfully trigger the charge by pushing the cable through the "conduit" during locking the car ( witch cause the car to horn once by the way )

Can someone check on his car please ?

1685630300752.png

So conclusion ( if it happen to someone else )

The charge is now as it used to work, in fact i just have to push the little buckle once to fix it.

Maybe they did break a spring or pinch the cable somewhere when they repair.

It's working now, it is a shame the error is not properly reported like " User interrupt charge"

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom