MG ZS EV (2021, pre-facelift) - How can I get to the laser rangefinder behind the front bumper?

durdled

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

tldr; What's the easiest way to reach the laser rangefinder behind the front bumper to twist and lock one screw and save myself A$1500?

Story time:
After we bumped into something while parking (gently, mind you, no visible damage) our car started complaining about the distance sensor, ACC and a few other things not being available. I went to the dealer and asked them what's what.
"Yeah, you have impact damage, it will cost you A$1100 in parts and A$400 in labour"

Since I am at least slightly competent with my hands (years back I've rebuilt a 1983 VW Golf from scratch, including the engine, for example) I thanked him for that information, drove home and decided I'd have a look myself.

I noticed that the rangefinder is attached with 2 locking screws (the ones that are not round, they need to perfectly fit into a certain shape and then need a little twist to not fall out again), and one of the screws has popped through the hole. I've used duct tape to verify that it is literally just the screw (to keep it in place - as long as it is, I don't get the warnings, and my adaptive cruise control works properly), unfortunately this is not a sustainable solution.

I tried reaching it, and my hand is just a little bit too big to fit in any of the holes and reach the screw (I can touch the screw, but can't get a grip)

Now, I have seen the images on how to remove the front bumper, however I feel like the grey plastic grill in the very bottom of the bumper can easily be removed (circled in the attached image, it seems to be clipped in)... However, I can't find anything about it... Hence this post, with the question: What's the easiest way to reach the laser rangefinder behind the front bumper to twist and lock one screw and save myself A$1500?

Thanks and cheers!

(I have no idea why this ended up in the wrong forum, sorry! Can it be moved?)

Attachments

• 2023-03-03_20h12_05.png
    2023-03-03_20h12_05.png
    704.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
It's not laser, it's 24 GHz radar called frequency modulated continuous wave radar. Not sure how you get that small grill off, or if the unit will need calibrating to work correctly.

I got reversed into and the tow bar pushed the sensor back and I got loads of alarms. after a couple of days all started to work again and it has since. Goes in for repair finally on Tuesday. Can only assume it can recal itself over time.

In the UK, any competent bodyshop would have that panel off the car in a jiffy. Try the same in Aussieland?

In the UK, any competent bodyshop would have that panel off the car in a jiffy. Try the same in Aussieland?
I would have assumed the same, but as mentioned, my MG garage quoted A$400 for labour and A$1100 for parts, and I haven't asked anyone else yet, because I saw the opportunity to do it myself.
If there's no easy solution to pop out just the grey bits or the grille, I'll probably remove the full bumper this week.
And I've not considered putty for the same reason duct tape is not sustainable - the locking screw (I have no idea what the proper English name is, since Dutch is my first language, apologies) is currently being pressed backwards by the holding plate, so anything at all pushing the radar module will move it out of alignment.
I experimented a bit today, and with duct tape I can't put it in sports mode, because then it accelerates too hard and starts flashing the warnings again. Vroom vroom!

Hi,
Did you ever get a solution for this?
I have pretty much exactly the same happen.
The radar itself doesn’t seem to be damaged as it’s works intermittently, but if I go over a bump in the road the radar will move and the warnings will start going off.
Thanks

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom