MG ZS EV ABS function

Anne rob

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi this my first post, and I wonder if anyone has experienced this. I was driving near my home the other day, the road was a slight gradient and there was a car on my left waiting to come out , when suddenly the car braked , and for about 5 m vibrated violently and then continued as normal. This really unnerved me, and I rang my dealer who said was the road wet, which it wasn't, He thought the ABS had kicked in and asked me to go in to have it checked out. On reflection it probably was something like that, but it seemed quite extreme, would like to hear if anyone has any experience of this

It will have been the anti collision being too sensitive and detecting the car in front or in your case coming out the side road. It should ease off the brakes after the obstacle is not in the way or you press or cover the brakes so the car knows you have control.

I find I have to anticipate potential problems of cars slowing turning left in front of me or cyclist or pedestrians at junctions as car may prime brakes ready to apply anti collision and by covering brakes the car knows you have seen the problem.

It will have been the anti collision being too sensitive and detecting the car in front or in your case coming out the side road. It should ease off the brakes after the obstacle is not in the way or you press or cover the brakes so the car knows you have control.

I find I have to anticipate potential problems of cars slowing turning left in front of me or cyclist or pedestrians at junctions as car may prime brakes ready to apply anti collision and by covering brakes the car knows you have seen the problem.

Thank you, that's reassuring, it was a bit of a shock being the first time
I think almost every owner has witnessed this situation at some time.
I had a similar incident last summer, we where travelling through a small village in a 30 mph speed trap area.
Suddenly a “White Vanman” driver pulled up at the stop sign, from a blind junction hidden by high hedges on both sides.
He over shot the stop ✋ sign a bit and the car responded by throwing in the brakes really hard !.
Had we not been wearing seat belts, we would have hit the windscreen I am sure.
The car released the footbrake within seconds of seeing that the van had stopped.
How the guy following us, never hit the back of our car, I will never know !.
Travelling to close to the car in front can result in the same situation.
If you are slightly to close, it will give you a warning, but if you close up on a car really quickly, it will apply the brakes hard !.
So, it does what is intended to do in trying to prevent a accident.

Thanks for your comments, it's reassuring to hear other people's experience, and a new learning curve with a different car I suppose.

Hi this my first post, and I wonder if anyone has experienced this. I was driving near my home the other day, the road was a slight gradient and there was a car on my left waiting to come out , when suddenly the car braked , and for about 5 m vibrated violently and then continued as normal. This really unnerved me, and I rang my dealer who said was the road wet, which it wasn't, He thought the ABS had kicked in and asked me to go in to have it checked out. On reflection it probably was something like that, but it seemed quite extreme, would like to hear if anyone has any experience of this

About 6 months into ownership I had a similar experience. A car ahead of me turned off left suddenly with no indication. I was in town traffic doing less than 20mph and my cars AEB activated suddenly, nose dipped sharply and the car braked sharply. My car's sensors must have picked up the sudden shange in direction of the car in front and (wrongly) assumed a collision incident so activated the brakes. Very disconcerting at first. AEB only activates brakes below 18mph - above that you get a warning on the dashboard - so town/city driving can be challenging for it. The dealer reconfigured the forward sensors and that sorted it. Although, in city driving I hear the "scrunch" of the brakes priming often as the sensors pick up potential obstacles, which are many in London driving.

But the problem has recently returned. On 2 separate occasions recently the car has been brought to a stop by the actions of the AEB - once when the road ahead was empty and once in heavy traffic. The second time I was lucky not to be hit by a taxi behind me.

The annual service is due early in the New Year so I'll ask the dealer to look again at the forward sensor setting.

Thanks for your comments, it's reassuring to hear other people's experience, and a new learning curve with a different car I suppose.
Ours occasionally does similar. Be happy the car is keeping you safe. Remember to keep belting up, closing your eyes and screaming at the top of your voice in sheer terror at it's ability to stop so we’ll!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom