MG ZS EV - AC randomly stops, does anyone else have issues?

basicsboy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
When we press the button to turn our AC on for the first time on a journey, it works for a couple of mins and then shuts off. The light stays on but the fan and the air stops flowing. The car even thinks it's still on because the estimated mileage has dropped.

If we turn it off and on again it sometimes starts again, but it'll stop again shortly after. This means that on a hot day like today we are turning it off and on loads, and clearly something must be wrong.

Is this just a common problem with cars that need the AC re-gassed or something or is it a known ZS EV problem? I tried using the forum Search but couldn't find anything.

We have been driving it since May 2020, this is a problem that has been getting worse over the past year or so.

Update: had it turned off for 5 mins, just turned it on and it shut itself off for mere seconds. Now it's not turning on at all.

Not ideal when you've got a little one asleep in the back on a hot day! Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sounds like it is going off on high or low pressure.

High pressure is usually because of a bad fan or radiator

Low pressure is usually because it needs regassing.

Only way to know for sure is to go to an aircon service or garage that does aircon, and have them look at it. Their machine will be able to analyse how much gas is in there.

Unless offcourse the aircon is also covered by the 7 year warranty, in that case, take it to MG and have them fix it under warranty (Regassing is probably not covered, as it is expected that a bit of gas escapes the system)

1650195661652.png

If it has lost enough gas to shut down this quickly there is probably a leak and that points to a defective component which should be covered by warranty. I believe the refrigerant used in these cars is very expensive BTW.

When we press the button to turn our AC on for the first time on a journey, it works for a couple of mins and then shuts off. The light stays on but the fan and the air stops flowing. The car even thinks it's still on because the estimated mileage has dropped.

If we turn it off and on again it sometimes starts again, but it'll stop again shortly after. This means that on a hot day like today we are turning it off and on loads, and clearly something must be wrong.

Is this just a common problem with cars that need the AC re-gassed or something or is it a known ZS EV problem? I tried using the forum Search but couldn't find anything.

We have been driving it since May 2020, this is a problem that has been getting worse over the past year or so.

Update: had it turned off for 5 mins, just turned it on and it shut itself off for mere seconds. Now it's not turning on at all.

Not ideal when you've got a little one asleep in the back on a hot day! Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.
Hi , if it's just the HVAC fan cutting out , then it's probably the resistor pack for the fan , which a few forum members have had problems with , this is normally a quick dealer fix under warranty by replacing the resistor pack. 👍 The resistor pack is bypassed at full fan speed so you can try that to test it.

@basicsboy I have the exact same issue! I've just got the car 2 months ago and they said it was fully serviced and checked.

Heating is fine but AC or just fan (AC off) is not. The fan stops randomly.

Just a little side note, i had an aircon guy around the other day to gas a car i had been working on, as he pulled in the drive he looked and saw the ZS EV (car he was fixing was inside garage with door shut) and said straight out thats an electric car im not allowed to touch that at all, full stop !

Hi , if it's just the HVAC fan cutting out , then it's probably the resistor pack for the fan , which a few forum members have had problems with , this is normally a quick dealer fix under warranty by replacing the resistor pack. 👍 The resistor pack is bypassed at full fan speed so you can try that to test it.
This is the offending item !.

49E800C3-48F5-4C6A-83EE-E07B40880371.jpeg

I got my ZSEV new in November 2019. The air con failed last September, 22 months old. It wasn't the fan resistor though, I got a very loud buzzing from the compressor and a vibration you could feel through the seat.
I booked it in to Crayford and Abbs to check out. They gave me a free courtesy car while they investigated the problem. After a couple of hours I got a call to collect it and was told it had lost the gas. They couldn't find a leak so regassed it. It hasn't been a problem since. All the work was free of charge.
Crayford and Abbs are not my nearest dealer, but I did a little research before I ordered mine. I can't fault their after sales service.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom