MG ZS EV adaptive cruise control efficiency

Ivan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello, everyone.
As good as the car is, the adaptive cruise control can be really improved as now it gives me 15% INCREASE of energy USAGE compared to the same distance driven without using it. And it blocks the KERS system as well, and now this is outrageous. Any ideas how to bypass this and have it active when driving with the ACC on?

I agree that the ommission of regen braking with MG Pilot is a BIG mistake. Other than that, I find it really useful. When I see traffic slowing down or if I'm approaching a junction, I pause MG Pilot and let the regen slow me down. I then engage it to accelerate and cruise along (I got 4.4mpkWh this morning on a 10 mile journey). Hopefully, MG will listen to its customers and correct this with an update in the future.

The ACC system is from Bosch and was designed for ICE vehicles and then adapted for MG. It is not possible for it to be updated to include regen.
I agree it's a useful tool but needs to be turned off when on long downhill roads as it will in fact apply the brakes to keep speed down so it not only fails to regrn but stops momentum.

Hello, everyone.
As good as the car is, the adaptive cruise control can be really improved as now it gives me 15% INCREASE of energy USAGE compared to the same distance driven without using it. And it blocks the KERS system as well, and now this is outrageous. Any ideas how to bypass this and have it active when driving with the ACC on?
If you don't like it and consider it outrageous, why did you buy the car?

The ACC system is from Bosch and was designed for ICE vehicles and then adapted for MG. It is not possible for it to be updated to include regen.
I agree it's a useful tool but needs to be turned off when on long downhill roads as it will in fact apply the brakes to keep speed down so it not only fails to regrn but stops momentum.
When going down hills you can blip the throttle and the car will roll with no braking and gain speed. Once the car returns to the set speed then the speed control becomes active again.

A human should  always be more efficient than ACC on any non- trivial journey, even when it supports regen. A human can do much that ACC can't, including anticipating conditions further ahead than the next vehicle, using momentum correctly on hills, tailoring driving style to weather, and more.

A human should  always be more efficient than ACC on any non- trivial journey, even when it supports regen. A human can do much that ACC can't, including anticipating conditions further ahead than the next vehicle, using momentum correctly on hills, tailoring driving style to weather, and more.
You are quite right. Driving an Ev is a different driving style altogether.
The Acc is really useful a times, for example when stop starting on motorways when congested. However full regen is the choice of any driver for most normal road conditions. I have never found anything irritating or outrageous about something that works so well.

All software systems have the possibility to be updated... This system is no different. It just requires MG putting some time and money into getting it done, neither of which they are going to do on a vehicle that they cannot seem to deliver anyway at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me if the 2024 ZS has full one pedal driving and regen on autopilot

All software systems have the possibility to be updated... This system is no different. It just requires MG putting some time and money into getting it done, neither of which they are going to do on a vehicle that they cannot seem to deliver anyway at the moment. Wouldn't surprise me if the 2024 ZS has full one pedal driving and regen on autopilot
The MG5 does regen while using ACC/Pilot. It uses a different Bosch hardware I believe, not a software update.
Ooh I can anticipate the next comments :) (why don't MG use that in the ZS then !)

If you don't like it and consider it outrageous, why did you buy the car?
Hi, I have started the thread confirming that the car is good. And the point of a discussion is not to offend anyone or the carmaker, but to find ways to improve an already good product, in a constructive way. If you never liked the word outrageous, accept is as my way of reflecting the ACC dyscrepancy and not as an offend to anyone. Hope you have your ZS EV to enjoy. I do mine, indeed.

I agree that the ommission of regen braking with MG Pilot is a BIG mistake. Other than that, I find it really useful. When I see traffic slowing down or if I'm approaching a junction, I pause MG Pilot and let the regen slow me down. I then engage it to accelerate and cruise along (I got 4.4mpkWh this morning on a 10 mile journey). Hopefully, MG will listen to its customers and correct this with an update in the future.
Well, thank you for your comment . I am now used to using it, but was just thinking if is possible to couple the advantages of both KERS and the ACC...I do some 60 miles on a daily basis and to me it makes sense. Best

The MG5 does regen while using ACC/Pilot. It uses a different Bosch hardware I believe, not a software update.
Ooh I can anticipate the next comments :) (why don't MG use that in the ZS then !)
Thanks....so I have rightly guessed that it is possible to have both. Well, may be with my next MG I will be better prepped with what to look for. Best

Thanx for your input. Exactly my thought. I hope MG is a sensible brand, whos looking after its customers and will imrove this onto the next gen ZS. As the car is really very nice to drive.

You seem to be right, except that with a very much earlier autopilot on a diesel brake Skoda, I have never managed to best the computer. And do now all these tricks and manage to excell it, but it takes away the advantage of having the advantage of an autopilot. Hence my question. Thank you, any way for your sensible comment.

You are quite right. Driving an Ev is a different driving style altogether.
The Acc is really useful a times, for example when stop starting on motorways when congested. However full regen is the choice of any driver for most normal road conditions. I have never found anything irritating or outrageous about something that works so well.
Hi, looks its my English and the usage of the word outrageous that trigger the responce but not my actual question - how to combine both KERS and ACC. I am enjoying the car once the ACC is off as it is far more efficient, but it really needs my input to do so. Best

And do now all these tricks and manage to excell it, but it takes away the advantage of having the advantage of an autopilot.
It doesn't take away any advantage. ACC is a driver comfort and convenience enhancement, not an efficiency tool.

Another reason the 5 is more efficient than the ZS (apart from the obvious like shape etc).

ACC is a driver comfort and convenience enhancement, not an efficiency tool.
However, one night in a dark lane, my previous car, Hyundai Kona, braked suddenly on ACC. I thought it was phantom braking, until I saw a cyclist on a black bike with no lights wearing a black track suit. Fortunately, the radar was able to see what I could not.

However, one night in a dark lane, my previous car, Hyundai Kona, braked suddenly on ACC. I thought it was phantom braking, until I saw a cyclist on a black bike with no lights wearing a black track suit. Fortunately, the radar was able to see what I could not.
This is exactly the kind of situation where i would think the Tesla M3/MY would be worse.

Back in 2020/2021 they opted to omit the front radar, and make the ACC and AEB wholly dependent on the front facing camera, they claim it will do as good of a job as the radar, but i would beg to differ, in situations like this or in heavy fog, where the radar can see through it, but the camera is just as "blind" as you and i.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom