MG ZS EV brakes and tyres after second service

Sue H

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My ZS EV has just had it's second service and after driving 14000 miles the tread has only reduced by 2mm. There is also very little wear and tear on brake pads etc. This shown other ways in which an electric vehicle can be cheaper to run in more ways than one. I was well impressed.

Mine goes in on Wednesday for 2nd service but only on 8500 miles.
I am on original BMS and am wondering whether to say no to update? At first service I refused the update and have not regretted that.
Advice please?
The garage said that it is standard practise to upgrade all the software but would not do BMS if I asked.

Mine goes in for 2 year service in late February. Hope I have similar good fortune 🤞
Had our second service done slightly early, because the car was in having the handbrake motor replaced.
We have covered 17,000 miles in two years and the brake pads have little to no wear on them !.
This is normal fair on many EV’s due to Regen braking.
More likely that as the car ages, it will require a brake service which entails removing the pads, cleaning / lub and refitting.
Pads sticking is the usual need for this action.
The tyres on our car have little wear also.

Any comments on disc corrosion?
Know where your coming from !.
No mention of disc corrosion on the service sheet.
Mind you - The box is ticked for checking the oil level !.
So, I don't hold much faith in the "Tick Box" sheets they attach to your bill.
Our car received it's second service, slightly early as the car was at the dealership.
I have received TWO reminders to get it booked in for it's service in the last few weeks.
A quick look on the system would avoid these useless reminders.
I could call them, but I doubt it will stop me getting the automatic system reminders.

Last edited:
My ZS EV has just had it's second service and after driving 14000 miles the tread has only reduced by 2mm. There is also very little wear and tear on brake pads etc. This shown other ways in which an electric vehicle can be cheaper to run in more ways than one. I was well impressed.
I've my 2nd annual service in about a little over a week and I've just clocked over 14,000 miles well let's see how it goes.

Take both keys in when you have your second service, batteries should be changed.
I marked the batteries and checked them after the service, not changed! Service Department had ticked the box that they had been changed. Had all the usual excuses and they changed them.
What i'm left wandering is what else did they tick and not do?

Take both keys in when you have your second service, batteries should be changed.
I marked the batteries and checked them after the service, not changed! Service Department had ticked the box that they had been changed. Had all the usual excuses and they changed them.
What i'm left wandering is what else did they tick and not do?
Well - They never changed the batteries in my spare fob, that's for sure, because it was still at home.
Mind you, they did change the oil !.
I know, because the "Tick Sheet" tell's me so !.
I was thinking about asking for refund on the price of the oil ?.
They could hardly refuse the refund, because it clearly states on the sheet that it has been "Ticked" as done on the sheet !.
Clearly a tick box exercise gone wrong.
I mean, what is the point of issuing a service sheet if the info / work content is incorrect anyway ?.

I've had similar experience on year 2 service, no issues with the original tyres and brakes. Nothing reported about any corrosion either. :)

Just had our 2nd service and the report said "cant open sun roof to clean gutters" - My wife did not want to risk trying it there so got it home and I tried it - nothing wrong with the sun roof I think they could not figure out that you twist the knob rather than push and pull!! Doesn't fill you with confidence does it

yep same in other makes as well, my Ioniq hybrid i have had from new and looking to replace is 5+ years old 66k miles only had original tyres and one full set, still on the original brake pads all round

the down side for the brakes is because so much braking is done by regen braking the brake disks get rusty and callipers seize due to lack of use, the work around is every few months find a quiet road and do some brake tests (i do several 70 to 0 hard brake tests) to exercise them and keep them free

I tend to think this is not necessarily reflecting normal usage of EV's, particularly as they are used more broadly and not only by EV aficionados - take for instance my wife, I cringe how she keeps driving this car as if it were an ICE powered car without regen........ brakes in her car will never wonder what they were put on the car for, she exercises them with vigor. My point - most users will drive them exactly like she does, sadly, old habits die hard.

I'd accept that some would drive without empathy as you illustrate, but I find it harder to believe that most would. The majority of the feedback we get here suggests that brake wear will be light.

I'd accept that some would drive without empathy as you illustrate, but I find it harder to believe that most would. The majority of the feedback we get here suggests that brake wear will be light.
How many MG ZS EV's have been sold in your neck of the woods, and how many of said owners are on this forum? Do you really think this is a representative selection of owners........ see where I am going?

I’ve had my MG ZS for nearly three years and done 33k and still have the original tyres and brake pads. Very little wear on both.. very happy!!

My MG ZS EV had its second service at 30k a couple of months ago and still has 90% of brake pads left and 3mm of tread on the front tyres and I always drive the car on level 3 re-gen level and do mainly one pedal driving which I think is really really good. They are cheap as chips to run, I will be buying my next MG ZS EV at the end of this year when my current one is 3 years old, I have had no issues with it whatsoever and has been completely reliable, I don’t think you can go wrong with this car, electric vehicles are the future without doubt

Have to agree with Beasty64. I've also done 30k miles and found my MG to be super reliable. Mine does a lot of town work so unfortunately its front brakes are down to 70% according to dealer 2nd service. Still miles better than my old ICE car, lol. As for oil changes, I'm guessing that other owners have dealers using the wrong paperwork. Mine has specific EV paperwork and thus no tick box for oil.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom