• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV Collection Date Looming?

Darkriver

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Although I am fairly near numerically to the front of the queue, No.35 according to my selected dealership, I am not in a desperate hurry to get the car.
I would have preferred to be further back on the list as I would like to see the opinions of the buyers, not just the "professional reviewers", but I guess there is nothing I can do to change that.
A 30 minute test drive really isn't going to give me a chance to thoroughly test the car, Ideally I would like one for a couple of days, but I guess that won't be possible.

Although I am fairly near numerically to the front of the queue, No.35 according to my selected dealership, I am not in a desperate hurry to get the car.
I would have preferred to be further back on the list as I would like to see the opinions of the buyers, not just the "professional reviewers", but I guess there is nothing I can do to change that.
A 30 minute test drive really isn't going to give me a chance to thoroughly test the car, Ideally I would like one for a couple of days, but I guess that won't be possible.
I'm with you on the benefits of a later delivery!
January 2020 would be ideal for me and allow plenty of time for feedback from happy or disgruntled first deliveries.
Fingers crossed that is a positive response from the very early deliveries, but the lack of an app and the lack of communication from MG suggests a lack of readiness and capacity to support this launch...

I had my 90 minute test one in the summer, and another with the new updated software in October, and this week got a phone call from my dealer who as been great, telling me the car arrives next week, 6 weeks early fab news.

I had my 90 minute test one in the summer, and another with the new updated software in October, and this week got a phone call from my dealer who as been great, telling me the car arrives next week, 6 weeks early fab news.
Interesting. I wonder whether other folks will be getting theirs earlier. Better to under promise and over deliver, and if this is happening, it could make new owners happier from the outset.

We got a call from the dealer, who were as surprised as us that our car had arrived. We'd had virtually no communication from MG. I suspect delivery time depends on model and colour; the dealer said he was about 300 before us in the queue for his own but his hadn't come yet. We hadn't even had a test drive yet, but had one before deciding to take it. It's only day 3 but we really like it so far. It looks like there'll be a bit of a wait for the 7kW charge point installation because of increased demand, but we're managing with the 3 pin charger.

Anyone taking delivery imminently needs to read the posts on Facebook this morning MG ZS EV and MG Electric Vehicle Owners Club.
I assume you are talking about this?
The MG ZS EV does not accept smart charges.
Once it sleeps it shall not wake for a smart charge. I've now tested this both with the Rolec and Ohme charge points. I could prove this with dumb Tesla charge point and 32A IoT RCBO by I expect the same outcome. This is the same issue that the early Zoë's had/have.
The car can only be woken in two ways: by unlocking with the keyfob and apparently by CANBUS. So the options are connect the spare keyfob to a IoT module with volt-free contacts or connect to the CANBUS with a unit such as OVMS. There is no EZS OVMS build as yet but it's being worked on.
I'm determined to crack this as this increases refueling costs by 280%, a fact that eclipses the EZSs apparent low price, so MG had better take note and consider this missing capability a serious threat to sales.
The term 'smart charges' is new to me. What does it mean, exactly? Just the charge starting automatically at some point? Like on a Zappi when the sun comes out?

Here is a copy of an email I have sent this morning to my MG dealership:
"Further to my email yesterday and to clarify my position.
I will not be collecting the ZS EV as planned this coming Friday 22nd and will revert to my previous plan to collect in January, but that is subject to proof and a guarantee that ZS EV can be work reliably with scheduled/timed charging using the Octopus Go tariff, plus 100% solar power with our Myenergi Zappi charge point.
If this is not possible by January I will cancel my reservation.

This is unfortunate, but these issues are important to me and it is how I currently charge my Renault Zoe.

Best regards,"

Split £100 | Octopus Energy

Last edited:
I assume you are talking about this?

The term 'smart charges' is new to me. What does it mean, exactly? Just the charge starting automatically at some point? Like on a Zappi when the sun comes out?
Smart charging, scheduled or timed charging allows you to take advantage of domestic off peak rates, in my instance using Octopus Go I can set my Zoe to charge between 00.30 and 04.30 for 5p per kW.
Split £100 | Octopus Energy

To get the government grant apart from being a ev battery driven car, it also needs to be able to except timed charging whatever your energy company provides, eg. octupus go is 12.30am to 4.30 pm to get the 5p rate plus it's cheaper to run any other items in your house which need to be started.
The mg won't at present start up when told by your smart charger unless you stand at the charger and start it yourself manually.
So i have decided to let my dealer find out about this from mg and won't pay for mine either until fixed, i may go to them with the ohme cable to let them try if needed.

Yes got confused with charger grant.
most cars have timers built in, the Mg does not.
But now the government gives you money to install a smart meter charger to use when the price is low.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom