MG ZS EV completely frozen - 2022 model

TassieDi

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I went to unplug my car from the charger today and found it completely dead. Can't even open the boot with the manual catch. Found and operated the hard key, but the door still wouldn't open. The charger is stuck in the front socket (luckily I knew how to get the charger to cough the other end up). I don't know how to open the bonnet in this situation. Oh boy. I've called for a technician but I'm starting to guess they will just want to take the vehicle to the MG service centre.

Update: the technician knew how to turn the manual key!!! Clockwise, just like the manual says. Haha. Then it was a simple matter for him to boost the 12V battery and the car was available again. Phew. I'm guessing I left the fan on and it drained the 12V battery. Lesson learnt.

Update: the technician knew how to turn the manual key!!! Clockwise, just like the manual says. Haha. Then it was a simple matter for him to boost the 12V battery and the car was available again. Phew. I'm guessing I left the fan on and it drained the 12V battery. Lesson learnt.
Left the fan on?

Left the fan on?
Apparently if you leave the aircon/heater/fan on it will keep running even though the vehicle is turned off. The car had been sitting for five days. I'm surprised that it drained so quickly, athough we did have a heatwave in that period.

Apparently if you leave the aircon/heater/fan on it will keep running even though the vehicle is turned off. The car had been sitting for five days. I'm surprised that it drained so quickly, athough we did have a heatwave in that period.
Never heard of that.
Mine turns it all off when you turn the car off.
Is this a "tip" from someone or your own experience? Gotta video?

Maybe there's a different configuration for markets where hot climate is the norm?

Never heard of that.
Mine turns it all off when you turn the car off.
Is this a "tip" from someone or your own experience? Gotta video?
I have seen it discussed in forums, either this one or the Aussie FB group. Also, when the car came to life again, the fan was immediately running without me having to turn it on, so yes, my own experience.

I have seen it discussed in forums, either this one or the Aussie FB group. Also, when the car came to life again, the fan was immediately running without me having to turn it on, so yes, my own experience.
Well yes if I have the fan/AC on, then, turn the car off. It's all off.
Turn the car back on the fan/AC restarts as it was. That's "usual" IME.

I was asking about the "left the fan on" so flattening the 12v battery bit which does seem a bit unusual for precisely the battery flattening effect I can imagine & that you are apparently seeing...

I suspect it was left in accessory mode.
ISTR another member showed this happening on a Gen 1 or a 5 as he tried to pre-heat the car whilst charging, with it in Accessory mode. The HVAC (fan) was consuming more amps from the 12v than the charger was putting in to it.

I suspect it was left in accessory mode.
ISTR another member showed this happening on a Gen 1 or a 5 as he tried to pre-heat the car whilst charging, with it in Accessory mode. The HVAC (fan) was consuming more amps from the 12v than the charger was putting in to it.
Interesting!

Can you lock the car & leave it like that though?

ISTR they did, but had to use the mechanical key to get in after.
They must've locked it with the key though?

Shurely there'd be mad bonging & horn beeping if you tried to lock it on the door button or fob with it still switched "on" ?

They must've locked it with the key though?

Shurely there'd be mad bonging & horn beeping if you tried to lock it on the door button or fob with it still switched "on" ?
ISTR they were on their driveway and locked it via the inside door lock by opening the window, pressing the lock button then the window up button.
I recall now, the car was in "ON" mode, not accessory, for the heating to work, had it been in accessory mode it would have switched off after 10 minutes to conserve the 12v anyway.

ISTR they were on their driveway and locked it via the inside door lock by opening the window, pressing the lock button then the window up button.
I recall now, the car was in "ON" mode, not accessory, for the heating to work, had it been in accessory mode it would have switched off after 10 minutes to conserve the 12v anyway.
Hmm I see. I doubt the op went to such measures 🤣

Update on my situation. I had a couple more flat 12 V battery incidents and booked the car in for a fix. They did a large software update. Then they found that the 12V battery had some dead cells, and it has been replaced. But the mechanics are still working out some issues. I was however assured that when you stop the car and lock it, nothing should continue operating and also the intelligent charging should be making sure the 12V battery stays charged. A bit reassuring to hear.

I was however assured that when you stop the car and lock it, nothing should continue operating and also the intelligent charging should be making sure the 12V battery stays charged.
A bit of a contradiction by the mechanic. Something has to stay on to monitor the 12V battery, ismart, alarm, etc. He obviously doesn't know the vehicle he is working on.

Of course there may be some onboard monitoring, but that's a long way from running a battery flat.
I suspect a software bug, hopefully now sorted.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom