MG ZS EV Connected but not charging

Chaos

Novice Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if anyone else has encountered this problem. Went to Sainsbury’s and tried to make use of their free charging, using a podpoint charging station. Plugged it in, and booked in with the app, but the car said “connected but not charging”. I unplugged, replugged, turned the car on and off, tried a different charging station but just got the same message. I am waiting for a response from the mg garage but wondered if anyone else has had this issue? It charges ok at home on the 3 point pin connection. The lead I have is as follows, and worked before when I charged it away from home on a long journey.

Euro Series Charging Cable Type 2 to Type 2 x1
Item Number AMC003(5M)BGR

I use Pod point at Sainsbury or Tesco quite regularly and only get this message right at the start of a charge. Takes a few seconds for car to connect to charger and commence charging.

Are your doors locked? There have been issues with car needing to be locked to charge on fast chargers?

Might be a daft question but you don't mention if you locked the car or not.
My sequence is, (with the car switched off) plug car end in first, then charger end, then lock the car, at this point it's charging, then finally confirm the charge on the app.

Hi yes I did lock the car. I will try your process when I am next there, thank you.

Also please note that’s it’s not just necessarily the car I’ve had this issue with Pod-Point and sometimes it’s the unit. If it happens it’s worth call Pod-Point and quote the device Number and get them to check it’s okay at there end..

I do plug in the car, lock it then plug in the pod point and use the app to claim the charge point. Has worked every time for me. HTH

I've had a similar problem on an instavolt CCS charge today. It's my first time using a rapid charger so I'm worried it could be a problem with my car. Display on unit said error 60 which according to the instavolt phone line meant there was a problem with the handshake.
I'm worried this maybe a problem specific to my car anyone else experienced this?

No on the main mine has been really good, try another unit and see if you have a similar problem

I can't get mine to charge anywhere. I've had it two days now. Tried the three pin charger at home, all I could get was connected but not charging. Same at my neighbours house. Tried genie point tonight and got nowhere. Couldn't even get the connected message. Know the point was working as I had to wait for the tesla in front of me to finish.
Also the lead doesn't seem to lock into the car. Is that normal?
Thanks

I can't get mine to charge anywhere. I've had it two days now. Tried the three pin charger at home, all I could get was connected but not charging. Same at my neighbours house. Tried genie point tonight and got nowhere. Couldn't even get the connected message. Know the point was working as I had to wait for the tesla in front of me to finish.
Thanks

You should hear a short buzzing noise when plugging in your charger which is the lock engaging. Have you tired charging with the car locked/unlocked? Does that make a difference? The granny charger - was that plugged in to a socket that can handle the load? Also, stupid question I know, but when using the Genie point, was it actually supplying a charge and not just plugged in? I'm sure answers to these questions will help us collectively diagnose your problem, even if it's just take it to your dealers.

I have tried both locked and unlocked. I have tried plugging the ends in in different orders. There is no buzz to lock the charger in place. No response from the car at all. Even on pay to charge points. I am taking it back tomorrow.

I have tried both locked and unlocked. I have tried plugging the ends in in different orders. There is no buzz to lock the charger in place. No response from the car at all. Even on pay to charge points. I am taking it back tomorrow.
Very strange ?.
The car must have charged okay at the dealership as part of the PDI checks surly ?.
I guess the car had a fully charged HV battery when you collected it ?.
Just guessing, but is it possible that they realised the car required a software update AFTER the PDI checks had been done and had already been fully charging.
Then after applying the update, it has now thrown the charging process out of whack ?????.
It would go some way to explain how you received the car fully charged and now it refuses to charge at all !.
The charging port must be engaging the cables and locking in the lead, for you to get the “Connected But Not Charging” message on the dash board.
For some strange reason the car is not communicating 100% correctly in order for the charger to commence supplying juice.
Please keep us informed on your progress at the dealership.

Another daft point, but I have been caught out occasionally, make sure the lead in the car is fully in, give it a waggle while pushing, sometimes easy not to do it all the way.

Any update?

@8969Steph,. I know your issue was a year ago and as we have experienced the same problem after only 3 weeks of owning our mg5, wondered what part was replaced and how long did it take to solve?

What is the issue with your MG5?
If it is PodPoint although free you need to 'confirm' the charge on the app within 15 minutes or it stops.

Hi Jomarkh, we did a successful charge on podpoint but the car didn't release the cable and we had to use the emergency release for the cable. Post this the car has not handshaked and not charging on any charger. MG suggested a communication controller needed to be swapped which they have tried but still not resolved the issue. The garage is waiting for further guidance from MG, interested to find out what could go so wrong a new car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom