MG ZS EV Crack/click noise

No probs here w vid👍🏻
Sounds driveshafty? CV joint? Not good....
At least you can demonstrate & they can't say "not found" 👍🏻😁
Oh they said "not found" the first time it went in as they were supposed to look at that at the same time but had the usual "cannot replicate the fault" which is what made me take the video so I can say to them well it definitely exists

Oh they said "not found" the first time it went in as they were supposed to look at that at the same time but had the usual "cannot replicate the fault" which is what made me take the video so I can say to them well it definitely exists
Minus a point for them!

Insist they sit in or stand next in the car park 👍🏻 2 minutes ***!

Minus a point for them!

Insist they sit in or stand next in the car park 👍🏻 2 minutes ***!
I will 100% be doing that this next time, also going to hope that they give me something better than a Combo-e as a courtesy car too :ROFLMAO:

the mini-mini-bus, but yeah, essentially the small van with 3 full size back seats in it. My local dealer is also a Vauxhall dealer, so more often than not I get a vauxhall as a courtesy car, when asking for electric anyway, had a corsa and a combo so far.

the mini-mini-bus, but yeah, essentially the small van with 3 full size back seats in it. My local dealer is also a Vauxhall dealer, so more often than not I get a vauxhall as a courtesy car, when asking for electric anyway, had a corsa and a combo so far.
What's it like in mini mini bus form?

What's it like in mini mini bus form?
not horrendous, but im not trading my ZS in for one anytime soon, its as you would expect... loads of storage up front because it's a van, roomy enough in the back and boot, because it's a van, low range (170ish) because its a van (and used the corsa battery) and crappy to drive because it's a van, but practically it's brilliant, just nothing stand out or exciting about it, very plastic and plain inside with rubbish regen. But for the school run it would be excellent if you had 3 kids as the back seats will comfortably take 3 isofix car seats.

I can confirm the noise is when I press the foot break.
So it's not related with being in D or R I
The car will get checked in Jan

I can confirm the noise is when I press the foot break.
So it's not related with being in D or R I
The car will get checked in Jan
I would get it checked sooner rather than later if it is anything like mine and happens when you brake... might be something pretty bad and safety related.

I would get it checked sooner rather than later if it is anything like mine and happens when you brake... might be something pretty bad and safety related.
Did you got your car checked? What was the problem?

Thanks

In my opinion, if you have ANY noises or odd feelings from the steering you should cease to use the car immediately. There have been a good number of U/J failures that result in complete steering failure and loss of control of the car. These failures can happen at any time with no further warning.

In my opinion, if you have ANY noises or odd feelings from the steering you should cease to use the car immediately. There have been a good number of U/J failures that result in complete steering failure and loss of control of the car. These failures can happen at any time with no further warning.
What's the "good number" up to now then?

Bit of hysteria creeping in it would seem?

Last edited:
Would you really take the Risk to you and other road users if you have heard of similar complete steering failures previously showing the same symptoms?

It is difficult to quantify the problem, especially from reading a forum. There have been a few threads in the past, including pictures of totally failed universal joints - you could try a search? Also a good deal of discussion on why they might be failing as it also affects ICE versions of the car.
But to add some weight to the argument to be careful, there seems to be a shortage of replacement steering columns and hence the lead time seems to be long which could imply there have been "quite a lot" of failures. Under normal circumstances, steering columns are only replaced after very bad frontal impact accidents, so very few spares are necessary.
Finally, if this story hits the papers, it could seriously damage sales of both new and second-hand ZS cars so there is good reason for MG and the dealers to hush it up.
And owners, of course.

It is difficult to quantify the problem, especially from reading a forum. There have been a few threads in the past, including pictures of totally failed universal joints - you could try a search?

As could you before stoking it up further with more hysteria?

<Snip rest of summary >

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom