MG ZS EV Delivery delayed because of MG computer problems

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Well I have also had the delivery of my MG ZS EV delayed because of the computer problems MG are having this is what my leasing agent sent me.

-------------------------------------------------
'I am very disappointed to say that we are in the unfortunate position to have to delay delivery of your MG.
The reason behind this is due to the MG computer system being down, therefore they are unable to allocate a reg number to your car.
I understand this is extremely frustrating and believe me I am equally frustrated as has led to us inadvertently misleading our customers for yet another time.
We are aiming to get delivery to you asap still, and we will let you know as soon as the reg numbers land in my inbox. If you would like to discuss this or would just like to rant about MG in general please give us a call.

I am sorry again'

-------------------------------------------------

Frustrating or what as I had arranged time off to be around the dates originally given.
Is there any more information on what is happening from MG? This will have a serious impact on monthly revenue for MG I would think. Especially if there are cancelled orders.
I would have thought that they may need to use a more manual process while this problem is 'sorted'. After all how many cars do they move each month? Actually it dosn't matter as with their staff unable to do much now and the cost of storage building means that MGs costs increase for little income. Not really Just in Time management?

Your thoughts.

evcog

Didn't know MG gave out registration numbers, thought that was DMV's job. Sounds like BS to me.

I’m amazed that a system update can take so long! I thought the original 2 week timescale was OTT – you would think they would soft launch the new system in parallel and arrange a period of downtime for the data migration – with lots of testing and a plan for if it didn’t go well (like manual registrations through head office). Those that have experience of working in dealerships may have a better idea of the complexities. Doesn't instil a lot of confidence in MG software/project management (on top of some of the car nuances).

Our car is currently held up due to this – isn’t a big problem for us, but feel for customers who have already waited a long time and dealerships who are waiting to get paid and have staff sitting on their hands. Can’t be good for the MG network.

I have contacted the MG UK press office for comment, which I will post here as and when I receive it.
MG-UK-Distribution-Centre.jpg

I’m due to collect my car on 1st March my cars at the dealership, I’ve given them my retention document for my personal plate will this affect me.

I think you will need to discuss this with the dealership. Of course the registration changes on the 1st of March so I don't know how that will effect your personal numberplate. I'm sure there are those on this forum who have personal numberplates who could advise you. However, check regularly with the dealership if there is any delay caused by computer problems at MG UK,

I’m due to collect my car on 1st March my cars at the dealership, I’ve given them my retention document for my personal plate will this affect me.

It could potentially, the system MG use to register the car is currently down, so even if you have your own private reg, I'd imagine the car would still need to be registered to your private registration.

Interesting. Here in Oz (Hobart) my Mark 2 has been stuck in the service centre (Performance Automobiles) since I took it in over a week ago to have a failing 12V battery looked at. They did a software update and it threw up a bunch of significant errors. I have been fed a line of BS (they are too busy to look at it, they have staff off due to COVID) but what I really think is that they don't have the skills to deal with it, which is very concerning. But perhaps MG is struggling with its systems more broadly???

With everything I read on this board, it seems there's something badly wrong at MG. I'll be driving my gen. 1 ZS for a while longer it seems ;-) I like how the dealer invites you to get in touch if you want to rant about MG, nice touch!

It could potentially, the system MG use to register the car is currently down, so even if you have your own private reg, I'd imagine the car would still need to be registered to your private registration.
When mine arrives, I'm going to do my plate thing myself just before I pick it up. A. because I have the original plates for my Smurf (outgoing) and B. because I want to have the new reg number and plates for my MG & I'll swap them myself. Should make it a lot easier to change over next time.

Just received a reply from the MG UK press office reference the software issues that unfortunately dosn't add much to the story. Or perhaps it does

Dear Colin...

Thank you for getting in touch with MG motor!

In this instance you would need to liaise with your local MG dealership who will be able to assist further.

It is the dealerships themselves who are receiving live updates regarding the system to register new vehicles being down.

All dealerships were pre-warned at the beginning of January and advised to pre-register vehicles (where possible) to prevent a knock on effect to their customers.

You can search for your nearest dealership on mg.co.uk using the “find a dealer” tool on the top right of the webpage.

Thanks again for contacting us.

I received my REG number and vin number in Jan by email of my dealer and the car was not at the dealers at that point...

But now am waiting till march for the 23 plate if the case is your car has not arrived the new 23 plate numbers don't come live till end of the week so this is probably why you not received it yet as the dealer knows the new reg numbers don't come out till march but they will be live on there systems at the end of week so your 23 plate number you will no doubt receive end of week maybe Monday

As I have changed mine original number plate to be assigned the 23 plate one but spoke to my dealer about 10 mins ago and he is going to send me the new plate number when the systems go live end of week

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom