MG ZS EV Drivers Door Lock Removal

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Posting this as someone may find it useful in the future

After being quoted 1 hour labour (NZ$200) by the local MG dealer to remove the drivers emergency door lock barrel to cut a new key, I thought I would remove it myself. I had no manual and couldn't find anything on www or YouTube, so it was a guessing game on how to remove

Long story short, it's super easy and super quick.

1. Remove the external cover off the emergency door lock
2. Open the driver's door
3. Remove the black plastic access plug (at the height of the emergency door lock barrel)
4. Insert the correct size Allen key into the silver coloured grub screw
5. Rotate counter-clockwise a few full turns. Mine wouldn't completely unscrew, so no fear of it falling inside the door
6. Remove the emergency key barrel from the door (there is no lock-rod or anything else to undo)

Total time was 5 minutes, most of this being the careful removal of the access bung without breaking it. Refitting is a 1 minute job

Makes me very angry that the MG dealer quoted a full hour of work to do this, and called it "door disassembly" to make it sound much more involved and difficult. Just a blatant rip-off

Posting this as someone may find it useful in the future

After being quoted 1 hour labour (NZ$200) by the local MG dealer to remove the drivers emergency door lock barrel to cut a new key, I thought I would remove it myself. I had no manual and couldn't find anything on www or YouTube, so it was a guessing game on how to remove

Long story short, it's super easy and super quick.

1. Remove the external cover off the emergency door lock
2. Open the driver's door
3. Remove the black plastic access plug (at the height of the emergency door lock barrel)
4. Insert the correct size Allen key into the silver coloured grub screw
5. Rotate counter-clockwise a few full turns. Mine wouldn't completely unscrew, so no fear of it falling inside the door
6. Remove the emergency key barrel from the door (there is no lock-rod or anything else to undo)

Total time was 5 minutes, most of this being the careful removal of the access bung without breaking it. Refitting is a 1 minute job

Makes me very angry that the MG dealer quoted a full hour of work to do this, and called it "door disassembly" to make it sound much more involved and difficult. Just a blatant rip-off
One hour labour charge, is the likely minimum charge that they set on any job 🤔.

One hour labour charge, is the likely minimum charge that they set on any job 🤔.
The full job was to supply and program a new fob to the car and cut the emergency key

There was an hour allocated, plus a WiFi fee, just to program the fob - which is a 10 minute job as several YouTube videos show. They got their 1 hour minimum right there

To try and scam another hour for a 5 minute job is total BS. I still had 50 minutes of my 1 hour minimum left......

The full job was to supply and program a new fob to the car and cut the emergency key

There was an hour allocated, plus a WiFi fee, just to program the fob - which is a 10 minute job as several YouTube videos show. They got their 1 hour minimum right there

To try and scam another hour for a 5 minute job is total BS. I still had 50 minutes of my 1 hour minimum left......
Agreed.
I understand when the fobs are coded, they are done in pairs.
Had a problem with one of my keys when the dealer managed to scramble the code in the master key while carrying out a repair.
The car was bricked effectively!and would not respond to the original key,
They called to request the second key 🔑 in order to coded them both together.

A friend used to work at a main dealership, and told me that each job had a scheduled price (and a one hour minimum charge), so that even if you needed several things doing which could all be accomplished within the timescale, they would be itemised separately and billed accordingly.

A friend used to work at a main dealership, and told me that each job had a scheduled price (and a one hour minimum charge), so that even if you needed several things doing which could all be accomplished within the timescale, they would be itemised separately and billed accordingly.
All the MG dealer managed to do was lose my future business (an MG4 LR purchase when they launch in NZ) and pick up a bad google review - interestingly, my rip-off google review was one of many recorded for this dealer

I'll get a locksmith to cut the emergency key

last time i lost my skoda key same price $200 au for a replacement key. it has a chip and they need to reprogram it. it took 6months :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom