MG ZS EV ECU data via the Torque Pro app

Hi @CDR
With the latest list (uploaded 25min ago) you should see 27 extra sensors while you are only seeing one. I suggest that you download the ZIP file (https://github.com/peternixon/MG-EV-OBD-PID/archive/refs/heads/main.zip) and grab the CSV from there as I think you may have corrupted the formatting when doing a copy and paste.

It should look like the following (although you'll need to create the dashboard yourself as I haven't uploaded it yet):
I cant see a download anywhere here 20210329_112228.jpg

I love the dashboard too. Thanks a million, you have taken away alot of pain and suffering with your helpful files. Much appreciated
You are most welcome. A few minutes ago I managed to get a copy of the PID list used in the Thai video in the first post in this thread. As it contains a bunch of PIDs that I haven't had the time to add to my list yet I've checked it into the repository "as is" for now so that you guys can play with it. It's name is "ZS_EV 104PIDS_Fixed.csv" You'll need to download the zip again of course :)

You are most welcome. A few minutes ago I managed to get a copy of the PID list used in the Thai video in the first post in this thread. As it contains a bunch of PIDs that I haven't had the time to add to my list yet I've checked it into the repository "as is" for now so that you guys can play with it. It's name is "ZS_EV 104PIDS_Fixed.csv" You'll need to download the zip again of course :)
Thanks. Can I run the two pids in tandem? The thai one and your one?

Thanks for this... need to be on desktop view to get the code button to display for the downloads... It doesn't show on the normal mobile view.

There is still a discrepency in the data... The SoH, SoC and the current is erongly negative on 001

Screenshot_20210329_183606_org.prowl.torque.jpgScreenshot_20210329_184045_org.prowl.torque.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210329_184059_org.prowl.torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20210329_184059_org.prowl.torque.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 221
  • Screenshot_20210329_184137_org.prowl.torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20210329_184137_org.prowl.torque.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 226
Thanks for this... need to be on desktop view to get the code button to display for the downloads... It doesn't show on the normal mobile view.

There is still a discrepency in the data... The SoH, SoC and the current is erongly negative on 001

View attachment 2559View attachment 2560
I cant get any data from Nix's pids or dash board with the exception of speed, which is very laggy.
I can however get some data using the thai version, but not using Nix's dashboaed with the thai pid's.
My car is a UK car so maybe the ecu's are different on the Aus cars??Screenshot_20210329-180633_Torque.jpgScreenshot_20210329-190759_Torque.jpg

I cant get any data from Nix's pids or dash board with the exception of speed, which is very laggy.
I can however get some data using the thai version, but not using Nix's dashboaed with the thai pid's.
My car is a UK car so maybe the ecu's are different on the Aus cars??View attachment 2567View attachment 2568
And I cant get the SOH either

@nix Looking at the equations I'm presuming
👉..eZS is from the Thai app or people
👉.00_ is from OVMS people
👉001_ is from @nix (trying to make sense of OVMS original PIDs, but they may have adjusted some after the Thai app was released).

For example: Battery Current
..eZS = .00_ : (INT16(A:B)-40000)/40

While 001_: ((A*255 + B) * 0.025) - 1000

But for SoC their all different, although .00_ and 001 are fairly close (256 v 255). If you replace the 255's with 256's this may reduce most of the discrepancies.

Anyhow I'm very grateful that you shared these. (Which I'm presuming came through OVMS people)

Last edited:
👉001_ is from @nix (trying to make sense of OVMS original PIDs, but they may have adjusted some after the Thai app was released).

But for SoC their all different, although .00_ and 001 are fairly close (256 v 255). If you replace the 255's with 256's this may reduce most of the discrepancies.

Anyhow I'm very grateful that you shared these. (Which I'm presuming came through OVMS people)
Hi @AbuG

Thanks for your testing and analysis. The first time I've used OBD2 or Torque was a couple of days ago so I've been busy learning. I received the file ZS_EV 104PIDS_Fixed.csv from some of the OVMS developers who called it the "Thai file" so I don't know if they added any of the counters in it or not.

In any case, I'm happy that I now understand how Torque, OBD2 and my ZS EV all work and now need to spend some time double checking the logic in my counters with what's in the "Thai file" and the OVMS source code (which is sometimes different to the spreadsheet which I used as the original source). I'll try to do it this week, but may not get any further with it today.

On a related note, I've reached out to the ABRP team to get an understand what needs to be done to make the Torque counters compatible with it (which seems to have been done already for the MG5).

I'm happy to take suggestions (and working PIDs) from anyone who's inclined to help and if it turns out that we need to split the PIDs up per model/region etc I'm happy to do that in my collection to make it more generally useful.

Nix

Last edited:
Hi @AbuG

Thanks for your testing and analysis. The first time I've used OBD2 or Torque was a couple of days ago so I've been busy learning. I received the file ZS_EV 104PIDS_Fixed.csv from some of the OVMS developers who called in the "Thai file" so I don't know if they added any of the counters in it or not.

In any case, I'm happy that I now understand how Torque, OBD2 and my ZS EV all work and now need to spend some time double checking the logic in my counters with what's in the "Thai file" and the OVMS source code (which is sometimes different to the spreadsheet which I used as the original source). I'll try to do it this week, but may not get any further with it today.

On a related note, I've reached out to the ABRP team to get an understand what needs to be done to make the Torque counters compatible with it (which seems to have been done already for the MG5).

I'm happy to take suggestions (and working PIDs) from anyone who's inclined to help and if it turns out that we need to split the PIDs up per model/region etc I'm happy to do that in my collection to make it more generally useful.

Nix
Many thanks for your efforts.

Before reading your above message, I too have reached out to ABRP about incorporating live data. I included a link to your GitHub. Hopefully they will speed it up if more people reach out.
Keep up the good work.

@AbuG your analysis was absolutely correct regarding my broken hex conversions. I've fixed it now simply by using the inbuilt INT16 and INT24 functions instead of doing it incorrectly by hand :)

Last edited:
And I cant get the SOH either
My car is a UK car so maybe the ecu's are different on the Aus cars??View attachment 2567View attachment 2568
Hi @CDR
If you are getting speed, but laggy it implies to me that your OBD2 adaptor is not keeping up with the number of parallel request that my dashboard requires. Can you try creating a blank dashboard and add each of the other (broken) sensors to it one at a time to see if they work individually?
If that's not the case, then I'm at a loss as to what's wrong as I wouldn't expect different sensors on the same model of car with the possible exception of optional extras like sunroofs etc.

Hi @CDR
If you are getting speed, but laggy it implies to me that your OBD2 adaptor is not keeping up with the number of parallel request that my dashboard requires. Can you try creating a blank dashboard and add each of the other (broken) sensors to it one at a time to see if they work individually?
If that's not the case, then I'm at a loss as to what's wrong as I wouldn't expect different sensors on the same model of car with the possible exception of optional extras like sunroofs etc.
Hi Nix, yes they work when I add a sensor. The speed, SOC and one or two others works perfectly. There are others that are a bit mad, and the SOH doesnt work for me.
Great work again by the way. Many thanks

Hi Nix, yes they work when I add a sensor. The speed, SOC and one or two others works perfectly. There are others that are a bit mad, and the SOH doesnt work for me.
Great work again by the way. Many thanks
OK. Please make sure that you are using todays update to the pid file as I've fixed the hex conversions on quite a few counters. (It won't however change whether or not a counter reads, just the value that's displayed)

@nix Looking at the equations
--snip--

--snip--
@AbuG interestingly in the OVMS source code the formula for Battery Current is:
OVMS = (INT16(A:B) - 40000) * 0.25 / 10
As that derives to the same formula as the Thai file (given 0.25/10 = 1/40), I'll replace my formula with (exactly) what OVMS uses in order to be in sync with that codebase.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom