MG ZS EV essence 2023 - lower kms than promised 320kms

kiera22

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi - I bought new MG essence EV and in 2 weeks I observed that it is only showing 270kms on 100% charged battery while I was promised 320.

Has anyone else faced same issue?

The promised mileage is based on pretty much ideal driving conditions - so much depends on factors such as the outside temperature, the type/length of your journeys, and your speed. What mileage are you getting per kWh?

In reality nobody is promised range.

The figure from the GOM is a guess based on your driving conditions (as Susanna states) and the manufacturer quotes the WLTP/NEDC guidance figures - which are more useful as a comparison figure rather than a blood oath guarantee.

It always shows a bit less, but not as much as in your case.
Switch to "Eco" mode and the range that's shown on the dasboard should add a few kms.

Thanks for responses. I have shared kms based on eco mode and on 100% charge. . It’s showing so low kms just after charging

The best way to judge mileage is by looking at your kms per kWh, and multiplying by your usable battery capacity.

Eg I have a standard range battery, usable capacity is 49 kWh. If on the dashboard, on a particular journey, I am getting 3.8 miles per kWh, that gives me a range of approximately 186 miles on a fully charged battery.

Also heavily depends on the temperature outside the vehicle. You're gonna get a lot more when the battery is above 16*C.

Guessing you're in Australia or New Zealand as you've quoted kilometres, and it's winter in the Southern Hemisphere at the moment.

Also heavily depends on the temperature outside the vehicle. You're gonna get a lot more when the battery is above 16*C.

Guessing you're in Australia or New Zealand as you've quoted kilometres, and it's winter in the Southern Hemisphere at the moment.
Thanks for responding. Yes in NZ. I am getting it checked with dealer as it is not giving expected kms at all.

Thanks for responses. I have shared kms based on eco mode and on 100% charge. . It’s showing so low kms just after charging
How many kwh/100kms?

In cold weather with 3-4 people in the car and the heater going, it sucks the power, it can show up to 20kwh/100kms.

When i drive conservatively by myself, aircon off, in warmer weather it can show around 13kwh/100kms

FWIW, my 2022 ZSEV sr LFP has been consistent from the get go: 320k N, 336k E. Always. One tip: always reset both trip meters before doing a 100% charge (here, that is via home 7kw charger overnight). That resets the range calc which otherwise might indicate bogus figures based on earlier driving style, length of trips on freeway or urban etc.

I know many people do that, but it doesn’t mean you will necessarily get that mileage! I believe the GOM then estimates the maximum obtainable under ideal conditions, and ‘as shown on the MG brochure’. Bogus figures can go in both directions! The mileage you do get depends entirely upon your driving style and the conditions at the time, use of CC/heater etc.

I feel the only accurate way to ascertain the available mileage is to multiply your miles/kilometres per kWh on that journey by your remaining battery.

@profdraper - Your total mileage figures on a full battery indicate that you would be achieving between approximately 6.5 - 6.8 k/kWh on the ‘instant’ reading.

Last edited:
Its the NZ name.
OK I hear what you say, but it makes no sense. There is an EV with no ICE, a hybrid with a petrol engine or a full ICE version.

Also why would they use the french word "essence" in a car name for New Zealand ???????????

Also, making it more confusing, I tried to search for MG NZ and I got a "403 error" message 6 times ????????

The New Zealand range:

NZ Range.JPG

Thanks for responding. Yes in NZ. I am getting it checked with dealer as it is not giving expected kms at all.
I have a 2022 ZS EV.
I live in Orewa, Akl
I normaly drive in Eco mode, Kers 3
Avg usage over 9000km to date is 16.5 kw per 100 km ( on some trips Ive had it down to 15 kw / 100 km)
Use the heating / cooling it drags power, however my usage to date takes this into account
85% of my travel is short distance, under 80km per trip

I have a 2022 ZS EV.
I live in Orewa, Akl
I normaly drive in Eco mode, Kers 3
Avg usage over 9000km to date is 16.5 kw per 100 km ( on some trips Ive had it down to 15 kw / 100 km)
Use the heating / cooling it drags power, however my usage to date takes this into account
85% of my travel is short distance, under 80km per trip
Thanks. I use same like eco and kers3. Even on 100% charge without driving it is not showing even near by.

Hi - I bought new MG essence EV and in 2 weeks I observed that it is only showing 270kms on 100% charged battery while I was promised 320.

Has anyone else faced same issue?

The dealer probably should have explained to you the 320km is the WLTP range (should stand for Way Less Than Predicted) and to not expect to get this.

Around 240-270km has been my experience with mixed city and open road driving but I’ve only done 1500km.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom