MG ZS EV Jump Start Pack

BowlingBrian

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I am looking to purchase a 12v jump start pack as a backup for the 12v battery. Can anyone recommend a unit that will start a battery that is completely flat? I beleive these units need a boost button to start a completely flat battery.

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

I am looking to purchase a 12v jump start pack as a backup for the 12v battery. Can anyone recommend a unit that will start a battery that is completely flat? I beleive these units need a boost button to start a completely flat battery.

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.
I can suggest one. After a lot of research I went for the one in the link. Great reviews and ebay had the best price. Fits in glove box and is supposed to pack a real punch. Also a power source for charging phones etc.
p s. I am not on commission!Charge booster

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have one of these. Holds its charge for at least 6 month
Screenshot_20230218-112036_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I guess it will depend on your budget, but booster packs vary a lot in their prices.
You will find that the boosters increase in price, relative to the size of the battery inside of that unit.
We have a BEV and a fossil car in our family, and I wanted a pack with enough power, that would easily conduct multiple boosts, but not massive in its size for storage reasons.
I came across a “Halo Bolt” unit that is widely sold in the USA.
Working on the theory if it is made for the American market, it will have been designed with enough power to boost them massive 5 - 7 Litre gas ⛽️ gobblers over there !.
The Halo unit is more expensive but also has a tyre inflation pump built in and has two USB outlets to power tablets / charge mobiles etc.
Plus a built in light 💡.
A neighbour left his side light on and then went away for the weekend, on his return the 12 volt battery was completely drained down to pretty much dead !.
The booster brought it back to life and still had a remaining SOC of 97%.
The Halo lives in pouch and is easily stored under the drivers seat of my ZS EV LR.
On Amazon they are £155 but after a quick search 🔍 I found that QVC in the U.K. had it on offer for £118 I think it was.
I bought another one for my son last Christmas.

Got one of these in the boot NOCO - 500A Lithium Jump Starter - GB20

Have successfully used it at work to power up a 120ah starter battery from 7.5V on a narrowboat.
I have the gb40 1000A, i finally got to use it at work yesterday.
A works van battery was flat, reading 6v.
It gave the van battery a reading of 11.5v but still too weak to start.

Luckily evs don't actually need mega cold crank amps to start the system.

Luckily evs don't actually need mega cold crank amps to start the system.
Agreed.
A smaller units will hopefully boost a battery in a EV but it depends on just how low the level has dropped as well I guess.
For use on an ICE with a large engine or an heavy oil burner unit, a pack with larger battery is always going to be a better option I think.
Go big or go home ! 🤣.

An EV just needs enough power to engage the HV battery contactor so it can start up and take over. Packs with enough charge to crank a lorry engine might be a bit of an overkill. :)

An EV just needs enough power to engage the HV battery contactor so it can start up and take over. Packs with enough charge to crank a lorry engine might be a bit of an overkill. :)
You're absolutely right but it feels nice when you are able to help someone else that stranded

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom