MG ZS EV Mk1 - Witter Towbar

PhilYerBoots

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

After a long time keeping an eye out for stock of a suitable towbar for our 71 plate ZS EV mk1, we've finally bitten the bullet on a Witter removable towbar, sourced from Ebay, with a vehicle specific wiring kit and installed by a local mobile fitter who also fits towbars for Witter.

He's done a very neat job and I've attached a few photos showing how it looks. We'll only be using it for a Thule cycle carrier that we've had sitting in the garage gathering dust for a few years since we last had a car with a towbar.

I thought I'd post something up as I've found it tricky finding any sellers with stock until now, or much information in general about fitting a towbar to the 1st gen ZS EV. Just to be clear, and the fitter confirmed this as well, this car is not type approved for towing, only vertical loading for a cycle carrier.

Anyway we're now looking forward to getting out more and going further afield on our E-bikes again in this lovely weather..!

MGZSEV Towbar.jpg

IMG_20220719_100028.jpg

IMG_20220719_161758.jpg

IMG_20220719_161832.jpg

Hi All.

After a long time keeping an eye out for stock of a suitable towbar for our 71 plate ZS EV mk1, we've finally bitten the bullet on a Witter removable towbar, sourced from Ebay, with a vehicle specific wiring kit and installed by a local mobile fitter who also fits towbars for Witter.

He's done a very neat job and I've attached a few photos showing how it looks. We'll only be using it for a Thule cycle carrier that we've had sitting in the garage gathering dust for a few years since we last had a car with a towbar.

I thought I'd post something up as I've found it tricky finding any sellers with stock until now, or much information in general about fitting a towbar to the 1st gen ZS EV. Just to be clear, and the fitter confirmed this as well, this car is not type approved for towing, only vertical loading for a cycle carrier.

Anyway we're now looking forward to getting out more and going further afield on our E-bikes again in this lovely weather..!

View attachment 9796
View attachment 9799
View attachment 9801
View attachment 9803
what holds the side of the upper bumper/panel to the main chassis, is it snap fitted or bolted

I'm sorry but I didn't see the fitter remove the bumper, just took a photo of it all removed after he'd fitted the towbar. It looks to me from those side plastic trims that it might be snap fit but I'm not sure. Maybe somebody that's removed one can confirm ?

I'm sorry but I didn't see the fitter remove the bumper, just took a photo of it all removed after he'd fitted the towbar. It looks to me from those side plastic trims that it might be snap fit but I'm not sure. Maybe somebody that's removed one can confirm ?
Many thanks for the info, maybe someone will confirm how it's fixed

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi @LazzzzYx .
Parts were about £375 from eBay and mobile fitter charged £190 so about £565 all in.

Just need to make sure we get some use out of it now...🚴

Thanks for this post I have been looking for a tow bar. The local towbar company say they have these on back order but Ive been waiting patiently for weeks.
I will try them again and if not I will do the same and source a local fitter. I am close to Cambridge is this close to your fitter?

Hi @Kevster .
Likewise, I was waiting for stock then saw the listing pop up on eBay. I think the eBay seller I posted a link for above have more stock from looking at their shop. They say 1 left in stock but it said the same for me, just scare tactics to make you push the button..😏
No I'm based on the Wirral and so was my fitter. I'm sure you'll be able to find one more local. Try the Witter website, go through the order process and it should give you mobile fitter options at the end.
Good luck.

Hi again Phil
Thanks I have also found that Halfords have stock and will fit it but it will be more expensive than your option. However I feel using an unknown single trader has some risk as to the quality of the fitting so will probably use Halfords at least I will have some comback if it all goes belly up.

Hi @Kevster.
Didn't think to check Halfords, but not my favourite shop after previous cycle purchases tbh...How much are they charging out of interest..?
Fair comment but I doubt Witter would use fitters that are not quality checked.
Good luck.

Hi All.

View attachment 9796
View attachment 9799
View attachment 9801
View attachment 9803
Wow, that's really neat....I like it! Unfortunately here in Australia transport regulations wont allow us to even add one as a bike rack :( Disappointing as we would use it all the time with the kids bikes. I mentioned my frustrations...along with a few others, in my ZSEV Accessory video on my Aussie EV YouTube channel here - Electric Car Australia. Check it out if your interested and if you like it please Subscribe to the channel, it really helps me spread the EV love Downunder :)

G'day @Elec Car Aust !

That's a pain for Aussie owners, I wonder why they won't approve one even for bike carriers ?

I've seen some of your videos before I think when I first started looking at the ZS EV. I'll check out your channel and the link above, thanks.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom