MG ZS EV order is placed!

MrG

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, after reading so many positive words about the ZS EV/debating over hybrid or not/dabbling with the idea of sticking with tried and tested ICE cars, before going for an EV test drive myself, I've gone and secured an Exclusive model. It's a pre-reg, so my first ever brand new car which is quite exciting really (trying hard not to think about resale value...)

Thank you all for helping out with my questions, but this is not the end - I now have more than ever!

First off, I've found a list of updates I want to ask the dealer (Vic Young, up in South Shields) about, in order to make sure that I don't suffer 'Range-Rage' from the dodgy updates at the end of last year.

I'm going to be taking the train up to Newcastle, from London, then driving it back down. The route is nearly 270 miles, taking 5 hours, so definitely will need to charge up a few times to get home. Am I correct in saying I will need a Type 2 cable to do this? I have read a few things about 32A/16A? What's the difference and which would be sufficient for my needs (considering this is probably the longest journey I will do in the car, as most of my use will be within about 20 miles). Any recommendations of where to buy a reliable but budget-friendly one?

In addition, how long should I expect to sit at the services waiting for the charge to be topped up?

And, finally, can anyone recommend decent stop-offs along the way so I don't turn into a gibbering wreck looking at how many miles worth of battery I have left?!! (It's my first electric car so a tiny bit terrified at the thought of this drive!)

Thank you!

Hello welcome to the gang!
Firstly at all rapid chargers (50kw) a CCS cable is attached to the charger and you just plug that straight into your car.
Secondly before you take delivery sign up to the charge your car app, this will allow you to use a wide host of chargers.
Download zap maps it has a route planning function which will help you choose where to stop along the way, you can filter by rapid chargers and by free to use or pay.
You ideally want to be charging from 20-80% and that normally take in my experience around an hour with a 50kw charger.

You will honestly find it the easiest car to drive and the smoothest, enjoy its maiden voyage my friend!

First of all congratulations on buying the car, the MG ZS EV was my first EV too and I love it.
To answer the cable question, you won’t need it on your return journey as you’ll be rapid charging, well I presume so anyway, rapid chargers have the cables attached.., but you’ll need it for free chargers at Tesco etc. Buying the cable have a look on eBay or be cheeky and ask the dealer to throw on in for the price, that said you could easily manage on a granny charger, but then you pay for your electric....
Using the rapid chargers you’ll expect to be about 40 minutes for the charge, remember when you go over 80% the speed of charging slows and therefore it’s not worth waiting, get back on the road. (Download Zap-Map and plan your route and look at your preferred chargers).
My only advice is take your time, don’t rush, don’t panic, and give yourself time to get used to the new world and you’ll be fine.
All the best

First of all congratulations on buying the car, the MG ZS EV was my first EV too and I love it.
To answer the cable question, you won’t need it on your return journey as you’ll be rapid charging, well I presume so anyway, rapid chargers have the cables attached.., but you’ll need it for free chargers at Tesco etc. Buying the cable have a look on eBay or be cheeky and ask the dealer to throw on in for the price, that said you could easily manage on a granny charger, but then you pay for your electric....
Using the rapid chargers you’ll expect to be about 40 minutes for the charge, remember when you go over 80% the speed of charging slows and therefore it’s not worth waiting, get back on the road. (Download Zap-Map and plan your route and look at your preferred chargers).
My only advice is take your time, don’t rush, don’t panic, and give yourself time to get used to the new world and you’ll be fine.
All the best
Great minds Mark!

Hello welcome to the gang!
Firstly at all rapid chargers (50kw) a CCS cable is attached to the charger and you just plug that straight into your car.
Secondly before you take delivery sign up to the charge your car app, this will allow you to use a wide host of chargers.
Download zap maps it has a route planning function which will help you choose where to stop along the way, you can filter by rapid chargers and by free to use or pay.
You ideally want to be charging from 20-80% and that normally take in my experience around an hour with a 50kw charger.

You will honestly find it the easiest car to drive and the smoothest, enjoy its maiden voyage my friend!
Don’t run too low on power until you get more used to the car, charging and gain confidence...

So I can only use 50kw rapid chargers? Looking at zapmap, it has 25kw through to 350kw chargers? I've also selected Charge Your Car as the main network on ZapMap. Is this right?

So I can only use 50kw rapid chargers? Looking at zapmap, it has 25kw through to 350kw chargers? I've also selected Charge Your Car as the main network on ZapMap. Is this right?
50kw or higher has guaranteed cables so you don't need your own (our car can handle a max of 75kw but if you plug into something faster it will just limit it to 75kw).

It's all been said really !.
Brilliant advice from other owners.
Regarding the purchase of a Type 2 cable ?.
I would just buy one !.
If you roll up at a 7kw public fast post, because it's the closest post and you don't have a lead to use it, then you are going to be pig sick that you never bought one.
Ask yourself this question :-
Are you EVER likely to use a 7 kw fast public charging post, like the ones you find at your local shopping centre etc.
If so, buy one now not later.
I have one in the boot of my car, it has been used about 4 times in 12 months.
But it has been used !.
If you intended to purchase a untethered wall box in the future, you will need one anyway.

Okay, making more sense now! (Sorry for this!! You are all being very patient!)

When planning a route on ZapMap, it has a list of networks. Does it matter which I go for, or just leave all blank, and use Charge Your Car when I get to a rapid charge point?

When planning a route on ZapMap, it has a list of networks. Does it matter which I go for, or just leave all blank, and use Charge Your Car when I get to a rapid charge point?
It doesn’t matter which ones you go for, but!! for the journey back you may just wish to look for contactless payment, you’ll pay a little more per kWh, but it’s easier than looking to download the various apps, have a look at BP Pulse as they are fairly good from my experience, are there any of these along the route where you can stick to one type of charger for return trip until you gain confidence.

Just looked at BP Pulse and you have plenty of their chargers coming back to London, just ensure you ask the dealer to ensure the car is fully charged for when you arrive.

Just looked at BP Pulse and you have plenty of their chargers coming back to London, just ensure you ask the dealer to ensure the car is fully charged for when you arrive.
Only have the one way to do from South Shields to London where I live. Maybe I'm using ZapMap incorrectly-can only see BP Pulse at a potential four locations: Holiday Inn Doncaster and Holiday Inn Peterborough?

I'll definitely do pay as you go for now-this is a minefield. Feeling slightly out of my depth already...

Only have the one way to do from South Shields to London where I live. Maybe I'm using ZapMap incorrectly-can only see BP Pulse at a potential four locations: Holiday Inn Doncaster and Holiday Inn Peterborough?

I'll definitely do pay as you go for now-this is a minefield. Feeling slightly out of my depth already...
Please see the attached, rapid BP Pulse chargers

Attachments

• 0A49588A-016F-4E00-A20A-333047AED1D8.png
    0A49588A-016F-4E00-A20A-333047AED1D8.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 107
  • 5A0F1ED0-EF0E-4BEC-9D90-49E3C34B97D0.png
    5A0F1ED0-EF0E-4BEC-9D90-49E3C34B97D0.png
    2 MB · Views: 110
  • 948714DE-0BAA-47F0-A14C-BFAB0CF461CC.png
    948714DE-0BAA-47F0-A14C-BFAB0CF461CC.png
    3 MB · Views: 112

When you pull up the map, move in closer to the map and you’ll see more point appear.

Vic Young does delivery for 240. I'm 305 miles away and worked out if I drove my car there overnight stat in hotel, drive back home, two stops more than likely.food ect. I was hitting around 150. To save 90 quid I would lose two days plus 300 mile on new car. I got mine from Vic on Monday and have used the type 2 cable each of the three days I've had it. Free charge in tescos and at costo.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom