MG ZS EV refuses to charge ….

busta999

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi

for six months my Zappi 2 has been charging the new (in June 22) just fine every night between 21:30 and 02:30 , go faster cheap tariff.

for the last two weeks noticed the MG has not charged overnight.

if I noticed it had not started Charging I used the MG app to start the charge

tonight every time I tried to start the charge using the app I got failed.

the Zappi was reporting charging delayed

the Mg was showing Charging cease electrical grid abnormal.

the Zappi was installed professionally

After 90 mins of plugging and unplugging the car on a cold raining winters night and getting nowhere I gave up

after getting into bed tried one last hail Mary and used the mg app to try starting the charge
this time it worked.

given that both the Zappi AND mg are set to start charging at 21:30 and stop at 2:30

anyone got any ideas on how to make this work reliably, preferably without me having to go through this 90 min dance every Time?

Ok will try just control from Zappi.

but what about ‘Charging cease electrical grid abnormal’ Warning on the MG, this error message is not in The MG ZS EV manual.

I would say car was getting charge but the charge stopped abruptly with no warning from charger so car did not expect it there for thinking there was a power cut

10C81BE8-744E-416F-A6DD-9E25F91803C9.jpeg

Don't forget that if you get use a smart wall charger the charge can be delayed by up to 20mins to spread the load on the grid.

Good point but I have not implemented that.

When I am paying for the electric I do not want start in +/- 20 mins. If the National grid want to pay for my charge quite happy for them to choose when to charge as long as it is all done during cheap rate :)

Good point but I have not implemented that.

When I am paying for the electric I do not want start in +/- 20 mins. If the National grid want to pay for my charge quite happy for them to choose when to charge as long as it is all done during cheap rate :)
When you are paying full rate maybe yes. But since you have opted to charge using a concessionary off-peak and take advantage of highly discounted rates it is only reasonable that there could be some degree of "Load Management" for the sake of grid stability. A greatly miss understood aspect of "Smart-Home-Chargers" is what is meant by "Smart". The Government requires new home chargers to have "Smart" capabilities by which it is meant that the local DNO that provides your grid connection can remotely delay or interrupt the charging of your car to load manage the network at times of high demand. Is it just possible in this cold snap that the DNO had to deploy load management to prevent overloading the network a 9:30 in the evening when your discounted Go Faster started? I've not personally had the issue but then my Go night rate is 00:30 to 04:30

The new peaks are now being created by the increased amount of off-peak charging!

When you are paying full rate maybe yes. But since you have opted to charge using a concessionary off-peak and take advantage of highly discounted rates it is only reasonable that there could be some degree of "Load Management" for the sake of grid stability. A greatly miss understood aspect of "Smart-Home-Chargers" is what is meant by "Smart". The Government requires new home chargers to have "Smart" capabilities by which it is meant that the local DNO that provides your grid connection can remotely delay or interrupt the charging of your car to load manage the network at times of high demand. Is it just possible in this cold snap that the DNO had to deploy load management to prevent overloading the network a 9:30 in the evening when your discounted Go Faster started? I've not personally had the issue but then my Go night rate is 00:30 to 04:30

I am on the Octopus Go Faster tariff and not receiving any subsidised rates, who are you with that they are subsidising energy costs?

There is nothing concessionaire about the Go Faster tariff, it is a way for the grid to charge for excess energy production (wind / nuke) which if not sold would be damaging to the grid, or the grid would end up paying, predominantly wind farms, the millions of pounds to shut down the turbines, to effectively not generate power.

this has been around for 50 years, exasperated by the wind farms, who built the wind farms on the basis that the National Grid would guarantee that their production of electricity so that the wind farms could secure an ROI. At night the national grid pays producers to NOT produce to avoid overloading the grid.

Enconomy 7 helped with this, now supported by the Go and Go Faster tarriffs.

I pay 8.25p for 5 hours of energy and 40.x p for the remaining 19 hours of energy above the going rate of 34p kWh, the 8.25p is coming from green energy and not subjected to the Gas peaker plant hit that pushes elec up to the current nationally subsidised rate of 34p kWh.

If the DNO wants to load balance the grid by controlling my charger they are welcome to, as long as they supply the charger, and pay the elec bill, failing that they need to provide incentives to encourage people who purchased their chargers and pay for their elec, to enable grid control on users devices.

The Zappi I purchased was not subject to this Grid control and will remain so.

I neither seek or need Grid permission to use ANY electrical appliance, Car, EMS, shower, toaster or oven.

I am willing to entertain subsidies/refunds on my purchases/ energy in trade for relinquishing some limited control of my devices, but unwilling to release control without.

What's 20 minutes outside your cheap rate going to cost you, 70p perhaps ? :giggle:

View attachment 13890
Well let’s do the math.

74p per day x 5 days a working week, do less mileage at weekends, 47 weeks a year.

That is £174.31 a year, I’ll take a cheque if you don’t have the cash on you and you don’t mind giving it away :)

Calling someone a tight wad in this economic climate is low and frankly, just childish.

So take your caustic attitude and donate money to a charity of your choice, or don’t, then we will know who the tight wad is!

Last edited:
Well let’s do the math.

74p per day x 5 days a working week, do less mileage at weekends, 47 weeks a year.

That is £174.31 a year, I’ll take a cheque if you don’t have the cash on you and you don’t mind giving it away :)

Calling someone a tight wad in this economic climate is low and frankly, just childish.

So take your caustic attitude and donate money to a charity of your choice, or don’t, then we will know who the tight wad is!

Wow, somebody got out of bed the wrong side today. 😇
If £174 in a year was going to cause me financial hardship I would say I couldn't afford to run a car.
£174.31 is £3.35 a week, I spend three times that a week on coffees. :giggle:

Dont Get It Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Went out for a burger today while I was shopping at the DIY store, decided I couldn't afford to charge the car at the charging station as I had spent all my daily allowance at McDonalds.:):(;)

Were are talking here about people who own and run EV's, not someone on the breadline, have their own house and are not living in rented accommodation. Can afford to have a home charger fitted for their own personal use, so I think your indignation is totally unfounded. Are you claiming to represent those who are desperately trying to make ends meet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom