MG ZS EV Scheduled Charge

Mohammed

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi All
Regarding schedule charging, l wanted ask has anyone in the forum manage to schedule to charge MG ZS EV 2020 with out smart charger or App. E.g. setting up manaul time on charge itself so charger get power at specific time you want to charge the vehicle. I was told that from time you plugins in charge into MG ZS EV 2020 you only get few minutes before car start charging otherwise car will go sleep will not charge is this true and has anyone else had issue of car charger going sleep.

Hi, is this with a 7kW EVSE or a 'granny'. If the car has had all the updates it should be ok.

I may be wrong but I believe without the updates you have up to 12 hours to start the charge after plugging in.
It also depends on the charger. I think if the charger is not supplying any power at all (including the handshake signal) then it doesn't matter when you plug it in.
I have successfully run scheduled charges on my Podpoint with my 2020 ZS without the updates, plugging it in 4 or 5 hours before the charger starts.

Hi All
Regarding schedule charging, l wanted ask has anyone in the forum manage to schedule to charge MG ZS EV 2020 with out smart charger or App. E.g. setting up manaul time on charge itself so charger get power at specific time you want to charge the vehicle. I was told that from time you plugins in charge into MG ZS EV 2020 you only get few minutes before car start charging otherwise car will go sleep will not charge is this true and has anyone else had issue of car charger going sleep.
It is possible to set up timed charging from your Granny unit or your wall box, if your wall box is in range of your home Wi-Fi router.
A simple ( rated correctly ) three pin timer control can be used in conjunction with the Granny, but you will need to purchase a Wi-Fi relay and then get it connecting into the case of your wall box.
You will need either a "Sonoff" Wi-Fi relay or a "Shelly" Wi-Fi relay, they cost about £20 on line.
They are controlled by downloading free App's for both devices.
I converted my older dumb Rolec wall box to allow for "Off - Peak" charging rates and it worked fine for about 18 months.
I disconnected it when we upgraded to the face lift model as it has built in provision for delay charging.
I will upload a couple of links that explains the process for setting up and installing the "Shelly" Wi-Fi relay.
This mod WILL require some wiring connections to be made to inside of your wall box, so can I suggest that you enlist the help of a friendly spark to carry out the work.

It is possible to set up timed charging from your Granny unit or your wall box, if your wall box is in range of your home Wi-Fi router.
A simple ( rated correctly ) three pin timer control can be used in conjunction with the Granny, but you will need to purchase a Wi-Fi relay and then get it connecting into the case of your wall box.
You will need either a "Sonoff" Wi-Fi relay or a "Shelly" Wi-Fi relay, they cost about £20 on line.
They are controlled by downloading free App's for both devices.
I converted my older dumb Rolec wall box to allow for "Off - Peak" charging rates and it worked fine for about 18 months.
I disconnected it when we upgraded to the face lift model as it has built in provision for delay charging.
I will upload a couple of links that explains the process for setting up and installing the "Shelly" Wi-Fi relay.
This mod WILL require some wiring connections to be made to inside of your wall box, so can I suggest that you enlist the help of a friendly spark to carry out the work.

Switching the charger off without using the pilot signal can cause voltage spikes which may damage the onboard charger. Always good practice to get the car to stop the charge before switching off the power.

Unfortunately you can't smart charge if you own a dumb wall box and a Gen1 ZS EV early model.
In fact, the early batch of ZS EV Gen 1 models, where produced with NO ability to delay charge via the car and would only charge instantly when plugged in.
If used with simple timer on the Granny, the car would fall into a deep sleep after a short while.
When the allotted time came to start the charge, the car reacted like "sleeping beauty" and refused to wake up, resulting in no charge being collected !.
This was a massive deal for anybody on a cheap "Off Peak" tariff, who would have to stay up at night, BEFORE plugging in, to take advantage of this cheaper rate, or pay a higher day time tariff.
It's kind of strange, because at the launch of the ZS EV Gen1 MG personally recommend two charging units that was compatible with the ZS EV Gen 1.
They where a Pod Point unit and a Rolec unit, of which both where dumb and some of these these where offered free in with the price of the car.
But, it soon became apparent that neither of these units could be used to carry out a delay charge on the early models.
MG blamed the Pod Point & Rolec, and Pod Point & Rolec blamed MG - with the customers stuck firmly in the middle.
After a lot of backwards and forwards over many weeks, MG in conjustion with the wall box providers released a small, but not ideal "work around" that would allow a very small charge to enter into the battery when first plugging in, to stop the car from falling into a deep sleep.
Far from ideal if you where on a daily single rate tariff.
Then a very clever owner of a early release ZS EV Gen 1 did a series of tests on his own car, using a unit he had built from scratch, to help find a cure for this problem and managed to get the car to delay change on command.
He then went on to install the Wi-Fi relay that was used to switch / wake up the 240 supply via the control module inside a dumb Rolec unit, that then spoke to the car via the pilot wire, to commence the charge at the chosen time from the App.
As he states in his video, a dumb charger has the ability to be a smart charger if you wish.
I will include the video, which is fairly long but very interesting ( but only to some folks I guess ).
Very unlikely that somebody with his knowledge and back ground is likely to use this type of system on his own car, if he was not sure of its capabilities and it's safety.
He had found a way to control his car from a dumb wall box for delayed charging, before even the wall box people or MG had managed to come up with an REAL answer.
It should be noted that smart charger where only just about enter the market when he developed this solution !.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom