• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG ZS EV Smartgate

Darkriver

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
This morning I sent an email to my chosen dealership, please see the text below.

"Dear Xxxxxxx,

Further to our previous email conversations.

It is my understanding that the MG ZS EV does not have built in timed charging but that it should be possible to charge from a suitable charge point e.g. Myenergi Zappi and utilise the charge points timed charging facility?

From what I have read, there is a fault that prevents the car from 'waking up' for timed charging and that it is also not possible to reliably charge the car from 100% solar or other off grid power sources.

I believe MG Motors UK are now aware of this fault and are hopefully working towards rectifying this issue.

As you are aware I was due to collect the car tomorrow but reverted to my original plan to collect at the beginning of January 2020.

I wish to continue with this plan, but I need a written guarantee from MG Motors UK that the fault will be rectified within the first 6 months of ownership.
If the fault is not rectified within that 6 month period or reappears and cannot be rectified I will reject the car under the terms of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

I hope that clarifies my position and I am sure that you are as frustrated as I am with the way MG are handling this.

Best regards,"

Quote from a dealership this morning
"MG hope to have the "wake to charge" issue fixed within a couple of weeks. I am sure that by the time you would collect in January, that this has been proven as working by other members of the Facebook group"
So hopefully the this gate can be shut fairly soon ;)

Hello, my charger was installed with free access to an app called ev.energy which appears to allow timed charging - although I have not used it as I pay the same rate all day.

This needs the car to wake up to receive charge at the time the charger switches on with the timer which it currently won't do until the fix comes out and you get the update installed. You either need to wake it up manually by unlocking and re-locking when the timer has initiated the charge or keep it awake with a trickle charge until the timed charge kicks in. The Zappi does this, not sure if yours does. I switch mine to a trickle charge last thing at night (and unlock/re-lock to initiate) with a timed boost during cheap rate and then switch off in the morning.

This is such a relief. We have a 2017 24kW Leaf. We had a deposit on a Peugeot, but when we found out it didn't have a reversing camera or sat nav at our price point we backed out and went for the MG.

Hi, new to this forum.
I am currently dithering on ordering a ZS, I have had a test drive and did not think to ask the rep about charging I have a Kangoo EV and I can time charge that, so did not expect an issue.
Sebastian, what does the ev.energy app actually do, can you confirm that the delayed charging does now actually work.

A second related concern is pre-warming, again our humble Kangoo allows us to set timed warming. Is it possible on the ZS. As the car will not be garaged this is a critical issue for us.

I guess that any software upgrade means visiting your local ZS trained MG dealer - in our case 70 miles away.

Pete

Hi, new to this forum.
I am currently dithering on ordering a ZS, I have had a test drive and did not think to ask the rep about charging I have a Kangoo EV and I can time charge that, so did not expect an issue.
Sebastian, what does the ev.energy app actually do, can you confirm that the delayed charging does now actually work.

A second related concern is pre-warming, again our humble Kangoo allows us to set timed warming. Is it possible on the ZS. As the car will not be garaged this is a critical issue for us.

I guess that any software upgrade means visiting your local ZS trained MG dealer - in our case 70 miles away.

Pete
Hi Pete - I'm not aware that pre-warming is currently possible but the new charging software fix should allow timed charging. I've not received details yet so it might allow other timed stuff too. I would expect all cars delivered from now to have it installed without the need to take it back for an update.

I have a Rolec charger, 4 years old now, not very sophisticated. I see that Rolec have a deal with ev.energy, and the current gen of their chargers come complete with mobile connectivity - I guess that is what MG are supplying as part of the package.
The ev.energy app appears to be a work in progress and according to the Android Play comments is rather buggy.

Strange, looking at Thai Youtube vids, the Thai spec cars have built in mobile internet connections, I wonder why not the UK model

This is such a relief. We have a 2017 24kW Leaf. We had a deposit on a Peugeot, but when we found out it didn't have a reversing camera or sat nav at our price point we backed out and went for the MG.
So glad you went for an EV. Welcome to the fold!

Booked in for software update 6th Jan to allow timed charging but not sure whether it will also allow remote checking of battery charge status via Zappi app - watch this space

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom