MG ZS EV ticking sound from the right side of steering wheel

a6taxipl

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello All. I have got my new ZS EV for over 2 months (over 2k miles) now and like it a lot. There is a few BUT.... one of them is ticking sound whilst driving. I would say it comes from right side of steering wheel. It is always 1 tick in different loudness. It repeat random in sometimes 5 sek, 15 sek, 40 sek., sometimes for minute or longer. It is not very loud, but can hear it with music on (vol on 3 ,4 ). Never noticed it whilst in ready mode. I would say cabin need to be " warm up" , as didn't notice it straight away when I start driving. Service can not hear anything. Thanks for any suggestions

Last edited:
There were in the early days reports of a steering related noise and some had the issue fixed, but I cannot recall what the problem was, someone else will pick this up for you I am sure..

There were in the early days reports of a steering related noise and some had the issue fixed, but I cannot recall what the problem was, someone else will pick this up for you I am sure..
Mine has the clicking steering, only when turning the wheel, but it's so infrequent, so quiet and it's not got any worse so it doesn't bother me. I'll mention it to the dealer when I take it in for it's first service in July.

My car still has the clicking noise from the steering wheel it's been in to the dealer 7 times and still not fixed, they have heard the noise and changed the steering ring but it clicks all the time. 1st service in 2 weeks time so they can have another go but to be honest I don't have much confidence with MG dealers. If it's not sorted I'll probably just sell it and buy another make which is a shame as it's a nice car but I'm starting to find to many flaws with the car.

My car still has the clicking noise from the steering wheel it's been in to the dealer 7 times and still not fixed, they have heard the noise and changed the steering ring but it clicks all the time. 1st service in 2 weeks time so they can have another go but to be honest I don't have much confidence with MG dealers. If it's not sorted I'll probably just sell it and buy another make which is a shame as it's a nice car but I'm starting to find to many flaws with the car.
Is it bad (or loud) on yours then, I barely notice it on mine now I've got used to it.

Hi
Yes it is loud it clicks when turning left and right, but also if i am stationary and lightly press the steering on the far left and right it also makes a loud click noise. I have recorded the noise on video so MG can hear it.
I have tried to upload it here but it will not let me (maybe file size is to large?) if anyone can advise me how to do this then i can upload so you can hear the noise.

Hello All. I have got my new ZS EV for over 2 months (over 2k miles) now and like it a lot. There is a few BUT.... one of them is ticking sound whilst driving. I would say it comes from right side of steering wheel. It is always 1 tick in different loudness. It repeat random in sometimes 5 sek, 15 sek, 40 sek., sometimes for minute or longer. It is not very loud, but can hear it with music on (vol on 3 ,4 ). Never noticed it whilst in ready mode. I would say cabin need to be " warm up" , as didn't notice it straight away when I start driving. Service can not hear anything. Thanks for any suggestions
Another common complaint is the trim rattle that comes from the "A" pillar covers on each side of the front windscreen.
This can be heard when travelling over broken surfaces.
If you think you have this noise, when it does it next, just try and apply some finger pressure against the speaker grill that is located in the bottom of each trim panel.
If the rattle then stops, you have probably found the problem.
It's not the trim itself, it's the speaker behind the trim.
Ask me how I know. LOL !.
Some dealers have packed these trims with some type of foam ?.

The solution is simpel under the Dash there is a bolt loosse...no big problem..

The solution is simpel under the Dash there is a bolt loosse...no big problem..
Hi
I wish it was that simple all of those bolts have been tightened and it's still clicking/knocking. The dealership is in contact with MG head office over the problem, awaiting advice on what to change.
To be honest I'm now looking at the e-niro or the Kona as I can't be bothered with it anymore.

That’s a shame. Are you changing it just because of the clicking or have you not enjoyed ownership? Many issues? Please share.

That’s a shame. Are you changing it just because of the clicking or have you not enjoyed ownership? Many issues? Please share.
Hi

I've had a change in circumstances and req more milage per charge as can't be bothered with finding a charger when out and about (I know a bit lazy really). I do like the car but yes the clicking has anoyed me, the windscreen seal scrubs on the glass when it's cold, the camera gets blocked to easy with moisture, I keep getting erratic errors with the tyre pressure sensors, I don't like the way the central display keeps reverting back to lane assist when all I want is the digital mph (I know if I turn it all off it will stay but I like using the pro pilot). The final thing is the dealers they really don't have a clue and keep refering everything back to MG and it just goes around in circles.
I love this forum and find everyone really helpful and will be sad to go, but it will be a few months before I change.

That’s a shame. I hope that you sort out the best car for you. 🙂

That’s a shame. I hope that you sort out the best car for you. 🙂
Thank you.
It is a shame and I still think it's a lot of car for the money. It's over the year mark now and having 1st service on Monday. If the latest BMS update is not mandatory then I'm telling them not to do it as looking at the other threads about it I don't want any more problems.

Hi
I wish it was that simple all of those bolts have been tightened and it's still clicking/knocking. The dealership is in contact with MG head office over the problem, awaiting advice on what to change.
To be honest I'm now looking at the e-niro or the Kona as I can't be bothered with it anymore.
Hi Allen78,
If you get any more intel on this, please share! I seem to be getting the same issue - clicking steering wheel or column as when turning back through centre. It seems to be getting a bit worse as well. I was thinking that it might well be a bolt that is loose and it intermittently catches on a piece of trim.
Thanks!!

Hi Allen78,
If you get any more intel on this, please share! I seem to be getting the same issue - clicking steering wheel or column as when turning back through centre. It seems to be getting a bit worse as well. I was thinking that it might well be a bolt that is loose and it intermittently catches on a piece of trim.
Thanks!!
Hello Graham

My car has come back from its 1st service and they had another go at the clicking (8th time) and so far it seems to be good. They said they tightened up all the bolts again, but i think its blind luck or they didn't fit the steering ring properly in the first place.
All i can say is its either loose bolts near where the steering wheel is attached to the column or the steering ring it self. When you book into the dealer just make sure you point out the area around the steering area otherwise they will be looking further down the line.

I hope that is of some help, sorry i can't be any more specific as the dealer really couldn't care less and to be honest i have given up with them.

Cheers

Allen

Hello Graham

My car has come back from its 1st service and they had another go at the clicking (8th time) and so far it seems to be good. They said they tightened up all the bolts again, but i think its blind luck or they didn't fit the steering ring properly in the first place.
All i can say is its either loose bolts near where the steering wheel is attached to the column or the steering ring it self. When you book into the dealer just make sure you point out the area around the steering area otherwise they will be looking further down the line.

I hope that is of some help, sorry i can't be any more specific as the dealer really couldn't care less and to be honest i have given up with them.

Cheers

Allen
Thanks for this, Allen. Glad to hear that it is good so far... I will have it looked into. Thanks for the hints.

I too have this constant tick/click sound issue in my new car near to the dashboard/steering wheel? this goes off when I changed the heat settings to neutral to cold but the minute I change it to hot mode, click sound is back.

Even the fan generates a noise on its starting level 1, when increased to 2nd, this goes off. Did anyone notice it?

Thank you!

I too have this constant tick/click sound issue in my new car near to the dashboard/steering wheel? this goes off when I changed the heat settings to neutral to cold but the minute I change it to hot mode, click sound is back.

Even the fan generates a noise on its starting level 1, when increased to 2nd, this goes off. Did anyone notice it?

Thank you!
Hi, I think this might be a different issue to the one I was describing. The issue on my car is due to some interference between something on the column and the plastic trip on top of the steering column in front of the instrument panel. When i pop off the trim and rest it back without firmly attaching it, the problem seems to go away.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom