MG ZS EV Trophy SR - first impressions and Q's

Blackeunos

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Just collected a new MG ZR EV Trophy SR, in black.

20221217_114855.jpg

Really pleased with it so far!

What I like so far...
  • Quite understated styling... it works for the car!
  • Comfortable ride (my Born's has quite 'sporty' suspension, so you feel ALL of the road), just what you want on a daily driver.
  • Spacious in the back for the kids.
  • Physical buttons for controls you'll use frequently, such as volume, fan, demister, etc (big faux pas from VAG with their iD.3/Born touchscreen only)
  • Pano-sunroof! It's been years since I've had a sunroof, so nice, especially as it opens!
  • The app! Lots of functions and it's seems to work reliably (something I'm not used to, having had a gen2 Leaf, iD.3 and Born).
  • Build quality seems decent, certainly better than a couple of recent SEAT loan cars I've had.

What I'm not sure about...
  • Carbon fibre style dash and door inserts... why? What's the point? It's a family ev and they look cheap!
  • Infotainment system will take a bit of getting used to, seems a bit out dated already.
  • 360 camera very low resolution.
  • Not sure if my partner will be able to live with the range, it should be enough on a daily basis, but I reckon I'm going to have to keep amn eye on it and plug it in when needed

And a few questions if anyone can help...

How do you set the charge level? When I have the bar on on the main infotainment screen with the green bar, it's set to 100%. I try tapping to 80% and the dashed line momentarily moves there before returning to 100%. Also tried in the app, but that doesn't seem to work either.

What is the recommended charging protocol for the SR model? Should it be 80% regularly and then 100% when needed and every week or so to balance the cells?

Last edited:
Congratulations on getting your car, There are a lot of threads on the different battery chemistries. Standard range charges to 100% every time and long range doesn't. :)

Just collected a new MG ZR EV Trophy SR, in black.

View attachment 13790

Really pleased with it so far!

What I like so far...
  • Quite understated styling... it works for the car!
  • Comfortable ride (my Born's has quite 'sporty' suspension, so you feel ALL of the road), just what you want on a daily driver.
  • Spacious in the back for the kids.
  • Physical buttons for controls you'll use frequently, such as volume, fan, demister, etc (big faux pas from VAG with their iD.3/Born touchscreen only)
  • Pano-sunroof! It's been years since I've had a sunroof, so nice, especially as it opens!
  • The app! Lots of functions and it's seems to work reliably (something I'm not used to, having had a gen2 Leaf, iD.3 and Born).
  • Build quality seems decent, certainly better than a couple of recent SEAT loan cars I've had.

What I'm not sure about...
  • Carbon fibre style dash and door inserts... why? What's the point? It's a family ev and they look cheap!
  • Infotainment system will take a bit of getting used to, seems a bit out dated already.
  • 360 camera very low resolution.
  • Not sure if my partner will be able to live with the range, it should be enough on a daily basis, but I reckon I'm going to have to keep amn eye on it and plug it in when needed

And a few questions if anyone can help...

How do you set the charge level? When I have the bar on on the main infotainment screen with the green bar, it's set to 100%. I try tapping to 80% and the dashed line momentarily moves there before returning to 100%. Also tried in the app, but that doesn't seem to work either.

What is the recommended charging protocol for the SR model? Should it be 80% regularly and then 100% when needed and every week or so to balance the cells?
Congrats.
I own one, I been chargin to 100% when I can especially the last few weeks wit these cold temps, during summer I would try and get it to 100% once a week or when I needed it, the batteries are meant to be charged to 100, this is why you can't change it in the infotainment or the app.

Right now I'm getting 125miles on these temps -8c but summer time was getting around 200miles, I noticed if the batteries go below 50% ~ the BMS sometimes loses track of % or mileage, and requires to charge to 100% to correct itself, you will see also if you leave to 100% it will do a low charge to balance out, and that can be like half an hour to like mine yesterday almost 2 hours.

Being able to charge at home is what makes the car usable, when I was using public chargers not so much, but yeah if you needed a long trip over 200miles than this isn't the car to do in one go, you need to plan to charge it on your trip.
Enjoy your car!

In a nutshell, the SR doesn't let you change the charge level as the battery chemistry and the BMS allows you to charge to 100% with no harm to the battery.

👍

Thanks for the replies, I did think I'd read that somewhere about the charge level, but always good to get confirmation.

She was chuffed this morning when she could go out to a de-iced and warm car before heading out.

She was chuffed this morning when she could go out to a de-iced and warm car before heading out.
Priceless feature in the winter !.
You can pre-cool the car in the similar way in the summer also.
Close the blind on the sky roof when leaving the car in the summer.
Both have a running time of 10 minutes, then will automatically turn off.
Jumping the gun a bit - but NO you can’t control the heated seats from the App only from inside of the car 🤣.

If SAIC would allow us access to the api server, as other manufacturers do, then some clever bod could write some software as an extra app to do all these things!
There are two guys on the I-Pace forum, one writes Android code the other iOS and there are two apps that can do all sorts of things with the I-Pace when you are away from it!
Anything that comes out of the OBD2 port and goes to the server can be usefully used.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom