MG ZS EV upgrade

Rajesh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
In india they just announced an upgrade on MG ZS EV with 44.5KV battery and improved range of 419km per recharge up from earlier clammed range of 300 odd km. No price change

Same size battery?
That is disappointing in some respects really.
I hoped they would have increased the battery size to around 64 kw’s to take it closer to the Kona and the e. Nero.
Maybe that is why they have not !.
Some Gen 1 ZS EV owners maybe pleased because there residuals may not be affected too badly because the Gen 2 models offer no increase in range, that could see less demand for the Gen 1 models.
However, current owners who maybe considering an upgrade to gain more range is going to be disappointed !.
Maybe they will increase the battery size when current owners cars are approaching the 3 year old mark ??.
I have mixed feelings on this new model then.
Some styling improvements made no doubt over the Gen 1 but no increase in the battery size is not going to tempt me I don’t think.

1612776564100.png

Screengrab from the show.

The real life range was already as good as if not better than Kona (although Kona claimed higher). So this is too good for the price. The ground clearance is far far better.
Having puchased the car just 3 months back, I am devastated :'(

In india they just announced an upgrade on MG ZS EV with 44.5KV battery and improved range of 419km per recharge up from earlier clammed range of 300 odd km. No price change
please keep us up today with any information you may get..👍

Ah, Ecotree Challenge, as essential in all EVs ;)

That's a huge jump up in claimed mileage though!

Last edited:
India uses the ICAT Certification (or al least the 419km range is based on that) The WLTP range of the current ZS EV is 263km. I've read that the WLTP numbers are more realistic in the real world.

We'll probably have to wait til 2022 for a "real" upgrade on the car. I would guess that the car will get a significant facelift to mirror the look of the petrol version both inside and out. Perhaps also a much bigger battery.

Attachments

• 01Image-1-The-New-MG-ZST.jpg
    01Image-1-The-New-MG-ZST.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 170
  • 2021-MG-ZST-Essence-interior.jpg
    2021-MG-ZST-Essence-interior.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 139
As I posted in the other "Facelift" thread the Indian ARAI-certified range of the outgoing model is 340kmthe if ARAI range is now increased tp 419km that would roughly equate to a WLTP range of 202miles/324km which would be a very useful increase, for the same size battery. Note that they use 44.5kW in there blurb, not 42.5 which is the useable capacity.

Note that they use 44.5kW in there blurb, not 42.5 which is the useable capacity.
It is also possible that they have been, as well able to squeeze more usable capasity out of the 44.5kw through improved software (it's been known to happen). Not the entire 44.5, of course, but more than 42.5.....

Same sized pack then, different battery technology are we to assume then ???.
With a bit of help from a BMS upgrade which is always the cheapest option of course.
Are they chasing the popular requirement of customers who are only interested in an EV when the predicted range starts with the number 2 !!!!.
An upgrade from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 model, could prove to be expensive upgrade in order to gain that increase in range though.

An upgrade from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 model, could prove to be expensive upgrade in order to gain that increase in range though.
Wonder how much more expensive this version would be. Not to be overly negative, but it's not a facelift if they don't upgrade certain things. Things like LED lights all around, better body styling, improved infotainment system etc.

Wonder how much more expensive this version would be. Not to be overly negative, but it's not a facelift if they don't upgrade certain things. Things like LED lights all around, better body styling, improved infotainment system etc.
Pure guest work here, but I would say the price would be the same, if not only, only a little more expensive than the Gen 1 model.
Otherwise the price will be closing in fast on other similar models.
Are they standardising the packs with the MG5 by any chance instead of having two different sized units ??.

Pure guest work here, but I would say the price would be the same, if not only, only a little more expensive than the Gen 1 model.
Otherwise the price will be closing in fast on other similar models.
Are they standardising the packs with the MG5 by any chance instead of having two different sized units ??.

Check out this video here. With regards to the pricing and trim levels in India skip to timestamp 0:48 where they state that it has surpassed the Hyundai kona

I'm confused.
If it is the same kWh capacity battery pack, it doesn't matter what Hi Tech technology is in the battery, it still has the same capacity!!
The only way to get a higher driving range, is to reduce energy losses that aren't going towards driving the car forwards.
It's the same physically (except a bit higher it says) - have we got 16 or 17inch alloys I've not looked!!?
Is the motor/drivetrain new & more efficient???

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom