Mg ZS long range what to ask

therooster

Standard Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a 22 long range trophy ZS from an MG dealership and just wanted some advice I've never bought an electric car (currently have a 22 petrol ZS)

Is there anything I should look out for and any questions to ask?
Any advice really appreciated!

Edit to add the car has 33K miles on it

Last edited:
Make sure the car isn't bound to someone else's account for the app to work. Get them to do it in the showroom. make sure you have the portable charger and ask for a battery heath report.

Thank you!
I can see the charger on photos but I shall ask for a battery health report what % should it be at 2 years old and 33K miles?

That depends on a number of different factors and can differ from one car to the next.
As a ball park figure / comparison, our Trophy LR is now two years old and has covered about half that milage, at around 16,000 (ish).
The traction battery SOH ( state of health ) is reported as 99% and has never received any D/C rapid charging in that time.
The drive of the ZS EV is far superior to the fossil model !.

Hi @therooster

I came from diesel manual shift to electric. The smoothness of transition from stand still to whatever speed is astounding. When new, you'll probably need to feel a full on acceleration more than a couple of times :) but then you'll probably transfer to a mileage hawk simply because it's so satisfying driving for a fraction of the cost of dinosaur fueled cars (depending on your electricity providers, of course).

When it comes to buying a specific model, I have to say that you should be very careful buying an MG. Don't get me wrong, I love our ZS and we definitely got a lot of car for the money. But there are widespread problems with the Chinese car, from not having a heat pump and being extremely short-ranged in winter, over faulty electronics, to bad electronics: the driver's lane assist has been reported as potentially life threatening making sudden moves into oncoming traffic; we tried it for a couple of weeks often swirling repeatedly from side to side (with-in our lane, though) and ended up turning it off all-together. According to some motor magazines, MG probably has the worst lane assist on the market.

PS: Our car is at 99% SOH and has been D/C charged many times. I'd say 99% is a reasonable expectation for a 2-yo car and any lower should be cashed in as a price reduction.

/Martin, Denmark

Fantastic thank you so much!
I've also asked the dealership about servicing to check it still has the AA cover
If the car received it's annual service on time, by a main MG dealer, then the MG Assistance ( AA cover ) will still be valid.
If you have the registration number of the car, you can ring 0800 072 3338 and they will check the system.

Don't get me wrong, I love our ZS and we definitely got a lot of car for the money. But there are widespread problems with the Chinese car, from not having a heat pump and being extremely short-ranged in winter, over faulty electronics, to bad electronics:
The MK2 ZS. No heat pump? What?

Yep no heat pump i the UK, 30 miles away in France the same model has a heat pump .
Gets colder there LOL.

My ZS the 'comfort version' long range has a heat pump. Can turn it on through the infotainment menu usually 30 mins before I want to charge.

The battery heating system is not a heat pump.

Heat pumps are for the climate control system, as a (more efficient, but more expensive) alternative to the electric heating elements.

My ZS the 'comfort version' long range has a heat pump. Can turn it on through the infotainment menu usually 30 mins before I want to charge.
Show a screenshot... It won't say heat pump anywhere...it's a resistive heater.

Make sure the car isn't bound to someone else's account for the app to work. Get them to do it in the showroom. make sure you have the portable charger and ask for a battery heath report.
Is there a way to know whether the car is bound to someone else? I got my ZS today (not from MG dealer) and tried to connect but it wouldn't work... No message saying it was bound already, just this ... Seen couple of posts today that the app is suddenly not working for them ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240406-191437.png
    Screenshot_20240406-191437.png
    1 MB · Views: 25
Looking at buying a 22 long range trophy ZS from an MG dealership and just wanted some advice I've never bought an electric car (currently have a 22 petrol ZS)

Is there anything I should look out for and any questions to ask?
Any advice really appreciated!

Edit to add the car has 33K miles on it
I just got mine, standard range, would've loved long range but ... Got mine from non-MG dealer and the experience was ... well, stressful...in the end, I figured out the price was too good to let go and I got it today.
I was just worried about MG warranty being valid and about missing servicing records. Apparently, look for rust under the bonnet. Check you get charging cable, ideally two. Get organised for charging - I bought remote controlled 3 pin charger on Amazon for £130ish and it's charging right now, it works perfectly (if you don't hear from me again, the house burned down 😬). Check tyres are decent. Obviously, check the paintwork. Any irregularities add up to a bit of a discount... As you are buying from a dealer, any major problems, you should be able to go back and have it sorted...

Compare prices nationally, you never know, might find something much cheaper and worth travelling to it ... Also, more and more of these will be available as leases come to an end after 1 or 2 years...

1712478925774.png

Note 'battery heating always on'.
I wonder how it does this?
Maybe a heating element in the battery water cooling system?
I turn this on 30-45 mins before charging in the winter. Higher charge rate if I turn it on.

Edit: This is from the MG Infotainment Manual and looks the same on my car. I have also used this and it seems to work.

View attachment 25490
Note 'battery heating always on'.
I wonder how it does this?
Maybe a heating element in the battery water cooling system?
I turn this on 30-45 mins before charging in the winter. Higher charge rate if I turn it on.

Edit: This is from the MG Infotainment Manual and looks the same on my car. I have also used this and it seems to work.
This isn't a heat pump.

It's a resistive heater which is less efficient than a heat pump.

Not sure about other markets, but in the UK it resistive heating only on the ZS EV.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom