MG ZS missing V2L function

ChunkyMonkey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello,

I recently purchased an MG ZS EV LR Trophy Connect and attempted to use the V2L function. I tried various power states for the car, ensure it had decent charge etc however it refuses to start providing power.

I have ordered a different cable for testing purposes but I note that others face an identical issue.

As V2L was one of the motivating reasons for purchasing the car, I am now facing the prospect of returning it to the dealer. It was purchased around 21 days ago although I'm not clear on what constitutes the "purchase" date under consumer law as it could be the date I paid the cash, the date the docs were signed or the date I collected the vehicle (which was the earliest they were able to offer).

I have spoken to my local MG dealer who was not helpful - firstly sending me on a wild goose chase with MG directly, then advising they did not have a genuine MG v2l cable to test with and couldn't see me until the end of July. I wasn't expecting stellar service I suppose but this bordered on hostile.

Any suggestions/advice appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-06-22 15-17-19.png
    Screenshot from 2023-06-22 15-17-19.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 238
  • Screenshot from 2023-06-22 15-17-05.png
    Screenshot from 2023-06-22 15-17-05.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 272
Hello,

I recently purchased an MG ZS EV LR Trophy Connect and attempted to use the V2L function. I tried various power states for the car, ensure it had decent charge etc however it refuses to start providing power.

I have ordered a different cable for testing purposes but I note that others face an identical issue.

As V2L was one of the motivating reasons for purchasing the car, I am now facing the prospect of returning it to the dealer. It was purchased around 21 days ago although I'm not clear on what constitutes the "purchase" date under consumer law as it could be the date I paid the cash, the date the docs were signed or the date I collected the vehicle (which was the earliest they were able to offer).

I have spoken to my local MG dealer who was not helpful - firstly sending me on a wild goose chase with MG directly, then advising they did not have a genuine MG v2l cable to test with and couldn't see me until the end of July. I wasn't expecting stellar service I suppose but this bordered on hostile.

Any suggestions/advice appreciated.
Where did you get the V2L adaptor from? Have you tried it in another MG?

I got it from eBay which would normally immediately make me doubt the adapter quality however lots of videos showing people using them and also lots of folks complaining about very recent ZS EVs not being able to perform v2l.
Most people don't know that the resistor inside the adaptor it what tells the car that there is a V2L adaptor plugged in

it could have either faulty wiring, a faulty resistor or the wrong resistor. I think off hand it's supposed to be a 470 Ohm resistor.
of course, the only way to know for sure is to test on a known good car with a known go V2L. if you find yourself in Norwich.............. I can help

it could have either faulty wiring, a faulty resistor or the wrong resistor. I think off hand it's supposed to be a 470 Ohm resistor.
of course, the only way to know for sure is to test on a known good car with a known go V2L. if you find yourself in Norwich.............. I can help
Thanks, I've ordered a different adapter for testing.

I have an adaptor from e bay. I will try tomorrow if I have time to see if it works.

My suspicion would be that it has the wrong value resistor inside the adapter. MG use 470 ohm to tell the car it is a discharge plug and not a charging plug.

Did the eBay site say specifically that it was for an MG?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My suspicion would be that it has the wrong value resistor inside the adapter. MG use 470 ohm to tell the car it is a discharge plug and not a charging plug.

Did the eBay site say specifically that it was for an MG?
Not the best pics but it seems like it is a 470 ohm (say 471J on it?) resistor?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-06-23 11-44-53.png
    Screenshot from 2023-06-23 11-44-53.png
    324.5 KB · Views: 248
  • Screenshot from 2023-06-23 11-44-39.png
    Screenshot from 2023-06-23 11-44-39.png
    932.2 KB · Views: 188
I have exactly the same issue. I ordered an aftermarket v2l cable off ebay, which the car does not recognise as a discharge cable. Mine is a brand new ZS SE LR delivered at the end of may.

The resistor inside was a 460 ohm
IMG_3347.jpg

So, having read on here that the official MG v2l cable shows 2000 ohm resistance I have gone the whole hog and ordered one in the hope that it will work.

There's very little info that I can find on this "possible" issue with post April 2023 cars, but as v2l was one of the deciding factors that lead to me ordering one, I shall be pretty peed off if it doesn't work. It will have to go back to MG.

Has anyone tried the official cable on their recent model, and did it work?. If not, is there an update from MG that anyone knows of?

I'll let you know how I get on.

Great forum BTW, it's been really helpful, sorted out the dead reckoning and lane keep assist with your help :)

No idea. Whatever it came with at the beginning of last September. Dead reckoning doesn't work either so I switched it off in the Sat Nav. It's getting serviced in September so I will ask for updates for these two things and the one(s) also to make it work with all Tesla chargepoints ( the ones opened to non Teslas that is).

I have the official cable and yes it works. Though my car needs to remain switched on in order to discharge.
You require the software update to the BCM module in order for the car to discharge via the official V2L cable, with the doors unlocked !.
My March 2022 Trophy LR was the same.
The V2L cable worked fine, but you could not leave the car and lock it, and keep the V2L cable discharging.
As son as you locked the car with the fob, it would stop discharging.
Until I had the software update on its first service, and now all is good !.
BTW - I have an EVCables V2L cable.

UPDATE!! - Okay, I have received the official MG V2L cable, but it still doesn't work.

There has got to be an issue with the car (or cars if other folk are having the same problem).

My car is leased so I'll get in touch with the lease company. I wanted V2L for Silverstone F1 camping next weekend, so well and truly hacked off now.

Apart from this the car is brilliant.

Attachments

• IMG_3474.jpg
    IMG_3474.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3472.jpg
    IMG_3472.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3475.jpg
    IMG_3475.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3477.jpg