MG ZS Mk II Tesla Charging Software update

On your last service this calendar year did you get the Tesla Charging Software update free

• Total voters

EssexJim

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Much discussion about the Tesla software update. Interested to know if people had the software update free of charge when they have taken their car in for its last service this calendar year. Especially as I believe that MG have written to dealers to say the update is free. I took my MG ZS EV Trophy in at the end of March and told it would cost me £100. So I decline.

Much discussion about the Tesla software update. Interested to know if people had the software update free of charge when they have taken their car in for its last service this calendar year. Especially as I believe that MG have written to dealers to say the update is free. I took my MG ZS EV Trophy in at the end of March and told it would cost me £100. So I decline.
I think MG have just stopped doing it free as they now class it as an enhancement

I think MG have just stopped doing it free as they now class it as an enhancement
The reverse should be true. Apparently, a letter was sent to dealers making it clear it shouldn’t be charged for.

Like I have said many times on this issue: It is a fault. MG messed up in their implementation. When you go to the dealer, don’t talk about updates, talk about the fault you want fixing.

Its not a case of who got it free and who paid really as each dealer does things differently. In my opinion if the dealer performs a full annual service on your car and you ask them to check to ensure the latest software is on your car they should install this for free as part of your annual service. If you go into your dealer outside of this service cycle then it isn’t a quick update and as a result you will be charged as per the man hours it takes to perform the task and yes waiting for software to download from the Chinese server I would include as chargeable so £120-200.

The reverse should be true. Apparently, a letter was sent to dealers making it clear it shouldn’t be charged for.

Like I have said many times on this issue: It is a fault. MG messed up in their implementation. When you go to the dealer, don’t talk about updates, talk about the fault you want fixing.
Thats the wrong way - its NOT a fault as long as you have the latest EVCC software it will work so since you bought your car there may have been an update like there is for everything else so as a result any updates whether they are to help charge on Tesla chargers or to fix or correct a BMS issue are not faults. Some Hyundai engineers dont even check software updates if you take your car in and lots of owners have had similar issues so this by no means just an MG issue.

Its not a case of who got it free and who paid really as each dealer does things differently. In my opinion if the dealer performs a full annual service on your car and you ask them to check to ensure the latest software is on your car they should install this for free as part of your annual service. If you go into your dealer outside of this service cycle then it isn’t a quick update and as a result you will be charged as per the man hours it takes to perform the task and yes waiting for software to download from the Chinese server I would include as chargeable so £120-200.
Which is what I did. Booked first service. I asked if I would get all the SW updates due and was told yes (Albeit I believe I was speaking to sales as no one was answering service - small dealership). Arrive and confirmed about SW. Service said they would check on the Tesla update. Came back about an hour later and was told it would be £100. So I declined

Every dealer is an independent business so they have every right to charge man hours to perform a software update as per your request as they are not quick to apply (2 hours approx).
Understand your comments. Yet I do have a point of view on SW updates at dealers and charging of Labour hours. Any smart Dealership would get their technician to start the update and then will move on to do something else while the SW is uploading. The restrictor to this would be the number of diagnostics machines (Laptops / computers) the dealership have.

I come from a background where I did warranty negotiation for an automotive Tier 1.

Anyway, my ramble is 'off topic'

I paid £120 at first service on my ZS TCLR. Held to ransom but wanted 100% assurance that it would work rather than the various iffy info that was around at the time. It works perfectly in UK and EU.

Thats the wrong way - its NOT a fault as long as you have the latest EVCC software it will work so since you bought your car there may have been an update like there is for everything else so as a result any updates whether they are to help charge on Tesla chargers or to fix or correct a BMS issue are not faults. Some Hyundai engineers dont even check software updates if you take your car in and lots of owners have had similar issues so this by no means just an MG issue.
Wrong way?
What I stated is correct.
It's a fault. They failed to write the software originally to match the protocol.

My point is, MG were having you think this was an "upgrade" - as if it was enhanced functionality.

You don't get to call your bugs that.

You fix them.

Which is what I did. Booked first service. I asked if I would get all the SW updates due and was told yes (Albeit I believe I was speaking to sales as no one was answering service - small dealership). Arrive and confirmed about SW. Service said they would check on the Tesla update. Came back about an hour later and was told it would be £100. So I declined
I'm guessing this is the Braintree dealer which charged me extra back in the day when I had the so-called "Comfort" update to my original Gen 1 ZS. The thing is MG Motors does not pay these dealers for the time our cars are sat blocking a repair bay downloading SW and being checked and interacted with by a trained tech. The time they could be doing paid work. MG Motors say that it is an enhancement if it isn't a safety or security issue. However, I think this Tesla charging update is neither an enhancement nor a safety issue and is a fit-for-purpose spec issue that MG Motors should pay the seller for. When they sold the car they sold it with CCS Rapid Charging did they not and CCS is a European Standard for Rapid Charging which EVs need to comply with for type approval to go on sale. Therefore, it should charge on CCS standard charging stations from whoever if the CCS Charger is type-approved and in operation for other brands including MG. If your specific car cannot charge at CCS charger consistently it is a fault! It is not performing to spec.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could say the same about Tesla CCS chargers. I have never come across any other CCS chargers that refuse to connect to my car other than Tesla chargers, so there must be something different in the connection handling. Tesla should fix it as their chargers are not using the standard CCS protocol.

You could say the same about Tesla CCS chargers. I have never come across any other CCS chargers that refuse to connect to my car other than Tesla chargers, so there must be something different in the connection handling. Tesla should fix it as their chargers are not using the standard CCS protocol.
Nope.

So, I have a 2022 SR. I went to a tesla charger yesterday, I didn't know anything about not connecting to to them. Used their app, no problems. I've had two yearly services. Have I missed something or is it not an issue with the 2022 zs anyhow?

So, I have a 2022 SR. I went to a tesla charger yesterday, I didn't know anything about not connecting to to them. Used their app, no problems. I've had two yearly services. Have I missed something or is it not an issue with the 2022 zs anyhow?
Great news for you if you ever need it. I was going to test it with my 2022 SR but the nearest Tesla chargers that are open to other cars are within a parking lot so on top of charging fee have to pay to par for min 2 hours ...
so, you need Tesla app and pay through the phone?

You are all set.

I used them pretty much exclusively in my summer trip to France last year. Cheapest, and easiest to use.

You are all set.

I used them pretty much exclusively in my summer trip to France last year. Cheapest, and easiest to use.

How does it work in Europe, Tesla app tells you where you can charge with cars other than Tesla or you use different app for that?

How does it work in Europe, Tesla app tells you where you can charge with cars other than Tesla or you use different app for that?
Same app. Works exactly the same. If you don't have a registered Tesla, it just shows the ones you can use.

Many more opened Superchargers in France too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing this is the Braintree dealer which charged me extra back in the day when I had the so-called "Comfort" update to my original Gen 1 ZS. The thing is MG Motors does not pay these dealers for the time our cars are sat blocking a repair bay downloading SW and being checked and interacted with by a trained tech. The time they could be doing paid work. MG Motors say that it is an enhancement if it isn't a safety or security issue. However, I think this Tesla charging update is neither an enhancement nor a safety issue and is a fit-for-purpose spec issue that MG Motors should pay the seller for. When they sold the car they sold it with CCS Rapid Charging did they not and CCS is a European Standard for Rapid Charging which EVs need to comply with for type approval to go on sale. Therefore, it should charge on CCS standard charging stations from whoever if the CCS Charger is type-approved and in operation for other brands including MG. If your specific car cannot charge at CCS charger consistently it is a fault! It is not performing to spec.
Your guess is accurate! I will PM you 'offline'

Understand you comment about not getting paid for using a repair bay. I would suggest this may be more about a diagnostic laptop more than a bay. You can have the car anywhere for a SW download. You are using a diagnostic tool (Laptop) for the duration, All that considered you make a very valid point about 'fit-for-purpose'

Hello, i didn't came here in a while. I've read several post about this tesla update. What's wrong with tesla chargers ? My last use of tesla charger was 1 year ago and they all worked without issue. Tesla updated their charger and we have to perform a software update, is that correct ? Thanks

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom