MG ZS/Ohme- wished I'known before

Radders

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Well, now 6 weeks in since arrival of MG, 7kw Ohme installed fit neat and tidy, app installed on phone, all appeared ok then I find out Ohme is not really compatable with an MG ( no API), work around is a pain especially if your mileage differs day to day, trying to input a schedule is frankly similar to completing a rubiks cube. Anyhow that at least with time will I'm sure improve.
My real concern is the fact that should my phone be lost/stolen/has a melt down, the car cannot be home-charged until Ohme admin authorise a device change ( subject to security checks). ie no over-ride or second user option. Not a massive problem you may say but Ohme admin only open M-F 8-6pm, so your pretty much stuffed if your phone expires over the weekend. Taking car to a charge point appears to be the only fall back.

Do other manufacturers controlers have a fall back option?

The Ohme smart chargers are too smart, they’re dumb. Having a charger completely dependent on a working internet connection is just bad design. Imagine having to call someone to get the kettle on in the morning!

I’m happy with my dumb DIY EVSE which has a timer switch wired in before the contactor, so it only operates during good-rate time.

Can you turn off the Smart function on the Ohm ?

I have a ohme on Octopus go.

I have it set so it only charges off peak so its semi smart there although its annoying not being able to set any actual start times as its going to guess your starting at 0% having no API. It does flash up with a comms error on my mg5 but its never failed to charge when its reached the off peak time so far.

Me and my partner are both logged into the App using the same account and it works fine. You would only need to contact support if changing to a different email.

I have a ohme on Octopus go.

I have it set so it only charges off peak so its semi smart there although its annoying not being able to set any actual start times as its going to guess your starting at 0% having no API. It does flash up with a comms error on my mg5 but its never failed to charge when its reached the off peak time so far.

Me and my partner are both logged into the App using the same account and it works fine. You would only need to contact support if changing to a different email.
So, you and your partner have the app on each of your phones running off the same account?

I too have defaulted to the 5p max charge rate( off peak) but end up with an accurate cost/power charge followed immediately by a normal tariff/power charge on the charge history, due I suspect to me over egging how much I can squeeze into the off peak period....I think

I have the app on more than one device so can check or change the time or percentage to be added.

Well, now 6 weeks in since arrival of MG, 7kw Ohme installed fit neat and tidy, app installed on phone, all appeared ok then I find out Ohme is not really compatable with an MG ( no API), work around is a pain especially if your mileage differs day to day, trying to input a schedule is frankly similar to completing a rubiks cube. Anyhow that at least with time will I'm sure improve.
My real concern is the fact that should my phone be lost/stolen/has a melt down, the car cannot be home-charged until Ohme admin authorise a device change ( subject to security checks). ie no over-ride or second user option. Not a massive problem you may say but Ohme admin only open M-F 8-6pm, so your pretty much stuffed if your phone expires over the weekend. Taking car to a charge point appears to be the only fall back.

FYI, have a read here:

Hi all, do we know if this has been addressed on the new long range ZS EV? Haven't been able to see this information anywhere.
You can time the charging from within the vehicle, so any old EVSE will be fine. Just plug it in and leave it to the car.

You always rely on your granny in an emergency lol

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom