MG ZS windscreen demisting

dspencer12345

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
When it's a rainy day, I have to demist the screen about every 5-10 miles. Is this common? Is there a way to stop this feature? Thanks

I have a similar problem.
I use the front screen demist function and turn the fan speed down to 2 or 3
Thanks Steve. Good to know. So you leave it on the whole time?

Ensure you have not defaulted back to recirc mode on the HVAC unit.
In recirc mode it will constantly mist up the glass very quickly.
We didn't have the climate control on at all, as we were doing a long journey, and we're trying to make it on a single charge. Could this be the problem do you think?

We didn't have the climate control on at all, as we were doing a long journey, and we're trying to make it on a single charge. Could this be the problem do you think?
I never turn mine off, the air con side of it take very little power compared to the heating side. Leave it on and do a splash and dash at a rapid at about half way, it's surprising how much you can put in the battery over just a cup of coffee and a comfort break.

Get some Pingi dehumidifier pouches. I put one either end of the windscreen on the top of the dash board and one on the parcel shelf for the back window. They help a bit. Just look on Amazon for them.

Although you did not have the HVAC enabled, just check that the recirc mode is not active.
If recirc mode is enabled, it will close a flap in the ventilation system that will not allow fresh air to enter the cabin from outside.
Therefore the cabin will mist up very quickly.
At the bottom corner of the infotainment screen 📺 in the HVAC section, there is an arrow symbol.
One depicts an arrow showing air flow into the car, when deselected the arrow symbol displays an arrow turned back on itself.
This means the flap to outside air is closed !.
This is recirc on and will cause the car to mist very quickly !.
The car has a strange way of choosing this option sometimes, even though the HVAC is inactive !.
A lot of people who complain about misting of the glass get caught out by this phenomenon.
At the first sign of any misting, check it !.

I must admit it is one of the more irritating problems with the ZS and possibly most ev's.
If you want (or NEED) maximum mileage, any HVAC system needs to be off. Thus, with HVAC off, the designers should allow a continuous and unrestricted flow of air to the screen, driven only by the car movement.
Unfortunately, MG have not done that. In fact, to get that condition (mk1), you have to push the left hand demist button, wait for it all to settle down whilst the flaps go to screen, then turn the whole thing off and select freshair! What a performance, and even then the air movement is poor.

Hi ar
The main problem is caused by a build up of water vapor in the car. This increases in the winter months by transfer from damp clothing and wet shoes and wet dogs!!.
Unlike ICE car heaters the interior of the car does not get dried out as effectively
A simple solution is to add a few "interior dehumidifier blocks" (I bought 20 for £15 on Ebay)can also be bought in B&M and similar hardware stores
The blocks absorb the water vapor and drastically reduce the problem.
They fit in the rear door pockets of my MG5ev, I tend to change them every month when they have filled up with water.
The extra weight (500g) will not reduce the range of the vehicle unlike the heater and A/C
hopes this helps

Although you did not have the HVAC enabled, just check that the recirc mode is not active.
If recirc mode is enabled, it will close a flap in the ventilation system that will not allow fresh air to enter the cabin from outside.
At the bottom corner of the infotainment screen 📺 in the HVAC section, there is an arrow symbol.
One depicts an arrow showing air flow into the car, when deselected the arrow symbol displays an arrow turned back on itself.
The car has a strange way of choosing this option sometimes, even though the HVAC is inactive !.
A lot of people who complain about misting of the glass get caught out by this phenomenon.
I would give up, they are not listening :rolleyes:

That sounds like a really good idea. Do they really have a significant effect? Driving home from the airport, we must have switched on and off the windscreen clearer 20 times! I can see them on eBay - how big are they?

Tried that this week, and you're right it often defaults to recirc. Saying that, it made only a very small improvement, unless I had the fan on too, which I think then forces the heating on.

On the Gen2 if you decide to make changes to the settings, like fan speed / interior heat, you will see in the bottom right hand corner of the info screen, there is a “A” symbol displayed.
The system is now in AUTO which defaults into recirc ON ( external flap closed ).
With this flap / door closed the car will very quickly mist up.
The HVAC is now pulling any damp air from any wet shoes or clothing through the heater box and pumping back into the cabin.
I have owned both the Gen1 with the more basic HVAV system for two years and 15,000 miles and now we have the Gen2 Trophy LR for 18 months and about 15,000 miles.
The car is not garaged and is parked outside on the drive in all weather conditions.
I have not experienced any more problems with de-misting these cars, than I have with any other cars I have owned TBH ??.
The pre-heating from the App on the Gen2 in the winter months, is an absolute god send of course !.
I have seen a good four to five inches of snow on our cars and the system has defrosted the car with no issues at all.
With an ICE car there is a lot of lost residual heat being transferred to the cabin when the ICE is turned off.
Heat from the exhaust / engine etc etc.
This prevents the cabin temperature from dropping quickly and creating damp.
As soon as you turn off the heater in an EV there is no residual heat, the cabin will cool down really quickly.
It works in a similar way as an electric fire in the home, as soon as you turn it off, the heat has gone instantly !.

Last edited:
I had the same issue and last weekend noticed the recirculation was selected, after changing it to normal I have the issue no more
If you use the pre heat facility to defrost / heat the car, if you then jump in the car BEFORE it has timed out, when you then boot up into READY mode, just double check the bottom R/H corner of your HVAC screen, it will likely be in the default recirc mode.
If you don't revert it back to "free flow"of outside air, the car will mist up extremely quickly.

Last edited:
An idea, Roger, but you just might not get to that long distance destination....

An idea, Roger, but you just might not get to that long distance destination....
Yes indeed Tim, a/c uses some power, but I understand it uses less power than heating. Also being retired I have more time available for recharging, and most important I like to drive as safely as possible.

I always drive with A/C on and climate control on Auto (in eco mode)
Never had a real problem with range on my MG5 SR.
Mind you living in wonderful West Wales I don`t seem inclined to travel too far and now with the 20MPH limit its an overnight stay to get to Cardiff? so I can recharge ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I had the same when I first had my MK2. If you have a MK2 there are 3 options for air flow while in the auto mode. Go into the a/c screen and tap settings, bottom right cog icon, and you get the 3 settings. Mine was set under “comfort” and after changing to standard things improved a lot. Hope that works for you.

Thanks Steve. Good to know. So you leave it on the whole time?

No, I dodnt leave it on all the time, once the screen has cleared I turn demist mode off

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom