MG4 12v battery connector loose

Ian Gould

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Just come to my car after a lovely pub meal and it’s absolutely dead.
Two weeks old, I’m not happy.
Yesterday I think every warning light on the dash came on and the steering was heavy.
Hope I have made the right choice of car…..

Yesterday I think every warning light on the dash came on and the steering was heavy.
Remember you have 12 months breakdown cover with MG Assist.
Check the 12v battery terminals are tight and ask your dealer to check that the software is up-to-date.
The 12v battery should be kept charged by the main car battery. The car should be able to be left for weeks and still start afterwards.

Tell us more about what happened when the warning lights came on: were you driving? Were there any specific messages?

A dead car (as in nothing on any screens) is usually the result of a dead 12V battery. Low 12V battery voltages can cause a ton of warnings, which would fit.

However, there could be something more seriously wrong, so a dealer visit to diagnose is a must.

When I set off from home lots of warning lights, lane assist, anti collision etc, kept on giving me messages about the above, steering heavy. Then it cleared itself.
I was told not to touch anything under the bonnet except fluid levels.
MG assist is passed on to the RAC I think who have now passed it on to Burke Brothers in Wolverhampton who are sending someone after their 6 o’clock shift change. 2-30 I called MG 7pm they said they would be with me.

As others have said sounds like the 12V battery. It may have gone flat before you,got it and they just charged it up a bit, try and get them to replace the battery or you may get the same issue again.
If you use the search bar you will find other threads about 12v batteries

I have read several stories on here about dead 12V batteries killing the car completely. So I've invested in one of these...

Amazon product ASIN B015TKPT1A
which I keep in a case thats velcroed to the space under the bonnet. It will be enough to get the 12V battery going again and get the car started, unless of course the battery itself is faulty.

EV6 the same, not mine, says he tempting fate, but a number of others. Batteries replaced under warranty or owners changed for better make. As others have done, I purchased a Noco booster starter and carry around with me in the frunk, as a just in case. Other makes are available 😀

Snap!

I'm sitting here in Symi (Greece) and my car is in a long stay car park at Glasgow Airport. I get back some time next week at about two in the morning.

Stop terrifying me.

I have a lead acid 12v starter battery in the rear footwell but I'm not sure how I'd see to use it. This car had bloody better start.

I'm sitting here in Symi (Greece) and my car is in a long stay car park at Glasgow Airport. I get back some time next week at about two in the morning.

Stop terrifying me.

I have a lead acid 12v starter battery in the rear footwell but I'm not sure how I'd see to use it. This car had bloody better start.
I was away for 10 days and arrived back at the airport at 1:30am, trying to find the car in the dark. Thankfully the flashing lights function worked well :) and the car was fine, had lost 1% charge in that 10 days and then I was able to drive the 100 miles home with 7 miles left on the GOM at 3am 😂

That's reassuring. I'll have been away nearly 16 days. I left the car with 69% charge and I only have to get myself and my friend back to her house about five miles from the airport.

Originally I was going to leave my car parked in the street outside her house and we were going to get a taxi to the airport. This would have been sensible as regards a flat battery as I could have stayed the rest of the night with her (I'll do that anyway) and jump started my car from her Polo in the morning if necessary. But then I got cold feet about leaving the very new and quite conspicuous MG4 parked in a strange street for over a fortnight and booked secure airport parking. I just hope that wasn't big mistake.

I've had similar problem, AA man has just been out and said he is getting regular call outs for same fault - dead 12v battery. As soon as jumper cables connected car came back to life and surprisingly did a software update!! Car was booked into garage to fix problem with radio - stuck on one station, this update fixed that, very spooky.
He reckoned MG are aware of the issue, and AA have told MG they will only attend this fault once! So I've just ordered a car battery booster in case this happens again. Software update should fix problem, but if MG are aware this is a major issue why are they not issuing a recall notice!!
Loosing confidence with this car and its barely six months old

This seems to be a recurring fault with the cars 12 v battery, every other month or so since last year's launch another couple are reported.
What brand of battery does everyone have in their car?
Definitely sounds like an issue with the battery and the fact it's only covered by warranty for 12 months, seems like MG don't have a huge amount of faith in it either.

A lot of these 12v battery problems have been down to bad, or loose, battery terminal connections. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the cars are shipped with the 12v battery disconnected to avoid it going flat during the sea voyage. If the people tasked with reconnecting them again don't connect them properly/charge them on delivery then that's a problem that needs to be urgently addressed.

Stop terrifying me.

I left my car in the garage for seven(!) Weeks this summer and it worked like usual when we got back to it! Hadn't lost a single procent of the main battery either😁 (trophy/luxury)

Can you confirm it was as 12v battery issue?
My experience is that you have to be careful not to sit in an EV with the ignition on for too long as it might kill your battery.
Probably applies to all cars.
I had to call the RAC out when I drained my Ioniq battery by listening to the radio for 45 minutes.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back