MG4 24 Month Service Interval.

Bricktop X PWR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Don't get too excited!

Once again, it's not for us, Just the Australians (maybe other countries???)
I did a search and didn't get a response so thought I'd post this up.

They get the car (based on X Power) much cheaper than we do (£31,000) with a 24 month 40,000 km (24,800miles) service interval!
Also a service plan upto14 years 280,000 km (174,000 miles)

Why?

Why are we treated differently?

Anyone have any clue as to how this sort of thing comes about?

Not coming down on my Ozzie M8's!

Genuinely pleased that you can get such an exceptional deal, I really am.

Just off to the "Bottle O" to get something to cheer me up.☹️

Last edited:
The UK has always paid more for cars because that's what the market will pay.
Price difference is also probably down to taxes.
They are nearer to China, so cheaper shipping.
UK spec is often different to other countries and not just having the steering wheel on the correct side.

As for the extended servicing and the service plan 🤔

How did the happy juice consumption go?

I think it's partly due to the points @Ian Key makes but also because MG made a plan a while ago to introduce and aggressively market the brand here and in NZ.

With some recognition here of the MG history (but not nearly that of UK) they started about 5 years ago with the cheapest ICE hatchback (MG3) and ICE SUV (ZS), well below competition prices and have put a lot into promotion through sporting sponsorships.

Then they saw the chance to undercut the market for EVs which, prior to the launch of the ZS EV in November 2020 at $5,000 less than the previously stated price, had largely been aimed at luxury buyers because there was no real incentives here due to the previous government's hostility to anything remotely progressive.

They also reduced the prices of the MG4 range to get in before BYD launched the Dolphin at a similar price. They now have some competition at that end of the market but the phenomenal value and quality of the MG4 and almost universal good reviews here means they'll probably prevail. And once they've established that place up there with more seasoned brands I'd say they won't be discounting again.

The 2 year service plan seems to be the norm here though each service is reasonably expensive - over $200 at year 2 and $900 at year 4. I'm hoping that in 4 years there'll be enough independent EV mechanics to create some competition and do it cheaper

Last edited by a moderator:
The UK has always paid more for cars because that's what the market will pay.
Price difference is also probably down to taxes.
They are nearer to China, so cheaper shipping.
UK spec is often different to other countries and not just having the steering wheel on the correct side.

As for the extended servicing and the service plan 🤔

How did the happy juice consumption go?
Thanks Ian.
I can understand the cheaper car cost due to the proximity to China etc, but the service intervals?
My last Audi Etron had a 24 month service interval and it's easy to see why on an EV.
Just profiteering surely?
I suppose even MG dealers have got to eat! 🤣

After many, many years of having my "pants pulled down" by dealers, (German ones in the main) I still feel that I have got a cracking deal, with my X Power.
Even factoring in the, let's be honest, tiny servicing costs, it's still outstanding value for us here in the UK.

Last edited:
I think it's partly due to the points @Ian Key makes but also because MG made a plan a while ago to introduce and aggressively market the brand here and in NZ.

With some recognition here of the MG history (but not nearly that of UK) they started about 5 years ago with the cheapest ICE hatchback (MG3) and ICE SUV (ZS), well below competition prices and have put a lot into promotion through sporting sponsorships.

Then they saw the chance to undercut the market for EVs which, prior to the launch of the ZS EV in November 2020 at $5,000 less than the previously stated price, had largely been aimed at luxury buyers because there was no real incentives here due to the previous government's hostility to anything remotely progressive.

They also reduced the prices of the MG4 range to get in before BYD launched the Dolphin at a similar price. They now have some competition at that end of the market but the phenomenal value and quality of the MG4 and almost universal good reviews here means they'll probably prevail. And once they've established that place up there with more seasoned brands I'd say they won't be discounting again.

The 2 year service plan seems to be the norm here though each service is reasonably expensive - over $200 at year 2 and $900 at year 4. I'm hoping that in 4 years there'll be enough independent EV mechanics to create some competition and do it cheaper
Thanks for that @ChrisR
Great explanation from your side of the World 👍
I think last night I was just feeling a bit....British.
I, "we" always seem to get the shit end of the stick one way or another.
Stiff upper lip, don't cha know.

Then I think about what else is going on in the world and I shut my face immediately.

In days of old, the UK was allegedly known as Treasure Island, by European (at least) car manufacturers because of inflated prices they were able to get for their cars. I am led to believe.🤔

Ah thank you Rip Van makes sense!

Still bloody is then if those numbers up above are accurate!!

The every 4th year $907 service is still a rip off when they don't really do much work, so MG Australia is still profiting from the inflated service costs.

In days of old, the UK was allegedly known as Treasure Island, by European (at least) car manufacturers because of inflated prices they were able to get for their cars. I am led to believe.🤔
Well, I think it was more that high specifications and higher end cars like convertibles and sports cars always have sold much better here than in many European countries. We spend more, order more options and will pay for equipment.

Well, I think it was more that high specifications and higher end cars like convertibles and sports cars always have sold much better here than in many European countries. We spend more, order more options and will pay for equipment.
That's possibly ended then. Third world britain (sic).😂

I just took delivery of my Dover White MG4 Essence 64 (Australian names) and walked through the servicing interval with the sales guy. What he couldn’t explain (not a sales issue) was how I would be notified of software updates that I may need/want between services. I cannot see anything (yet) in the owner manual discussing this.

What am I missing?

PS I really wanted the XPower, but I am “too old for all that power” according to the good lady wife.

I am planning to ask the local MG dealer that very question about software updates. The Satnav is supposed to have an upgrade to enable trip planning and charger routing (brochure says coming October 23). I think some of the first models imported in to Australia did not have OPD and an update was provided by MG for those so there is already a precedent of sorts.

In the settings the system setting says upgrade available but it cannot be accessed and a message states "Car not Registered, please contact MG Service". So I will next time I am passing the dealership.

Thanks, I have seen that. Relying on EDM seems lazy. Marketing and Service are quite different parts of MG; I would be far less inclined to send emails to the recycle bin if the were Service Alerts than Marketing Fluff.

anyway, thanks for replying.
I agree there should be a separate email/sms list for all buyers, just to send service info, recalls, software updates

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back