Mg4 and Octopus electroverse Plug & Charge

Nsr2

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Just seen this.
It sounds as though a technical standard has been developed for cars made after July 2022.
I guess MG haven't announced they will adopt the standard have they?
Just curious if anyone knows anything.

Just seen this.
It sounds as though a technical standard has been developed for cars made after July 2022.
I guess MG haven't announced they will adopt the standard have they?
Just curious if anyone knows anything.
For now, it's only VW, Skoda & Cupra cars using Ionity chargers.

Last edited:
This would be very handy if MG, other EV manufacturers and more charging stations adopt this standard. Am I right in saying Tesla super chargers already have this functionality? It sounds even easier than filling up with petrol.

This would be very handy if MG, other EV manufacturers and more charging stations adopt this standard. Am I right in saying Tesla super chargers already have this functionality? It sounds even easier than filling up with petrol.
Tesla have their own version of this which they've had since the beginning, the charger can identify the car and while initially free, now Tesla can bill the owner via their Tesla account. That's why Tesla superchargers have no screens or buttons, they thought about the simplest possible experience from the start.

Tesla have their own version of this which they've had since the beginning, the charger can identify the car and while initially free, now Tesla can bill the owner via their Tesla account. That's why Tesla superchargers have no screens or buttons, they thought about the simplest possible experience from the start.
I imagine a fair few potential electric car owners are put off by the myriad apps and RFID cards required for charging and this would certainly simplify matters.

I imagine a fair few potential electric car owners are put off by the myriad apps and RFID cards required for charging and this would certainly simplify matters.
Yes, some have been ridiculously fiddly to use, which is what can happen if an engineer designs something without thinking about the user experience.

Something like this could have been done for ICE cars too, but because their 'chargers' are always attached to a manned shop, where they want to sell you stuff, no real incentive. Some supermarkets let you pay at pump but it isn't automatic.

It is a bit overwhelming. I guess Zap-Pay and Electoverse are attempting to overcome this? I used the Octopus Electroverse app at an Osprey charger last week, was a slick, hassle-free user experience.

It is a bit overwhelming. I guess Zap-Pay and Electoverse are attempting to overcome this? I used the Octopus Electroverse app at an Osprey charger last week, was a slick, hassle-free user experience.
Do that again between 7-11pm and it'll be a slick, hassle-free, 20% off user experience

Sounds good! I must admit, if I just stick to Charge Place Scotland chargers then it’s not much of a hassle either.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back