MG4 broken into

Ciaranire

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this.

Last night a large number of cars were broken into, almost all of which had a window smashed.....except our MG4 which they just managed to open the driver's door without the alarm going off. No damage done to the car at all.

The key fob is stored in a room about 6 metres+ from the front door. I'm not sure if a relay would work at that distance or not.

We at first thought we must have somehow left the car unlocked, but after some testing, the headlights remain on, and from where the car is parked they would shine in the front window and throughout the house. You would be very aware of it.

We also tested if we hit the unlock button by mistake but again the headlights come on and the car locks again after 30 seconds or so.

The thieves appeared to be only looking for valuables so I don't think they would be all that sophisticated and given the number of cars done in such a short amount of time, they couldn't have spent long at ours. Presumably if they had used a relay they could have taken the car.

I'm considering asking the dealership if they can check the logs to see how the car was unlocked if possible, but thought I'd ask here first if anybody was aware of any issues?

Thanks

The good news is that the car will only move for about 10 meters unless the key is INSIDE the car
The car will drive as far as you like until the HV battery runs out or until you turn it off, once it's started.
Imagine driving along the motorway and the keyfob battery dies, you would be in a dangerous situation if the car only travelled 10 metres.

The car will drive as far as you like until the HV battery runs out or until you turn it off, once it's started.
Imagine driving along the motorway and the keyfob battery dies, you would be in a dangerous situation if the car only travelled 10 metres.
Many cars with keyless entry systems display this behaviour, with the key in the car, you are able to start the ICE or boot up an EV.
If you pass the key through the window to somebody else, you will be able to drive pretty much where you like.
But if you turn off / stall the engine or shut down the car in the case of an EV you will then require the presence of the key / fob in order to bring it back to life.

Makes me think of the old Blackjax system…

…that would put an end to worrying about relay theft from what I can recall anyway.

Hmm . . . when I picked up my MG4, the salesman told me that if the key is on a flat surface with the MG logo upwards, it goes to sleep.
Thinking your salesman was telling porkies. If that was true the key could go to sleep if you put it in that position in the car, making the car continually tell you there is no key found…

Hmm . . . when I picked up my MG4, the salesman told me that if the key is on a flat surface with the MG logo upwards, it goes to sleep.
Perhaps that should read:
The salesman told me that if he is on a flat surface with his MG logo upwards, he goes to sleep.

If phone set up for Digital Key can this be used to unlock door whilst in pocket or will it only open door if select the unlock option within the app, thinking would need to put phone in a faraday which isn't practical or deactivate if that's the case.

If phone set up for Digital Key can this be used to unlock door whilst in pocket or will it only open door if select the unlock option within the app, thinking would need to put phone in a faraday which isn't practical or deactivate if that's the case.
The digital key can’t be used with phone in pocket.
The phone must be unlocked, you must open the app and go to the digital key option. Only then the app will establish an on demand encrypted connection with the car and you must press the unlock button and then the start button.
It is safer than the smart key, but a royal pain in the neck as every time you get off the driving seat, you must press the start button in the app again.

In the DK screen of the app there are 2 buttons/sliders ... one to unlock/lock the car and another to start the car. :)

1700566019285.png

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 541 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums